• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those who have waited to regear after lifting

I have 32's on 3:55's and Auto AW4. Its not that bad. If i dont drive my GF's XJ for a while (Stock) then its not bad, but you will have almost no acceleration in 4th gear and it will downshift alot going up inclines. But especially if your not going to be driving it that much, and just your weekend wheeler, then i wouldn't even worry about regearing. Invest in a locker, recovery, etc.

i had 4.5" crustys lift, 32" MTRs and stock 3.55 gearing. it really sucked in the utah mountains, going up overpasses, freeway speeds on anything but downhill etc. wasnt as bad after moving to arizona (flatter ground) but, i love it with 4.56 gears. torque is back, and i dont have to stay out of overdrive on the freeway. i have yet to wheel it in az though with the new gears.

33s on a 98 with the RE 4.5 lift - its definitely less power, but its not a sports car...the 4.0 still does fine and im more than happy with it until I get the money together for 4.56s

DravisAR said:
33s on a 98 with the RE 4.5 lift - its definitely less power, but its not a sports car...the 4.0 still does fine and im more than happy with it until I get the money together for 4.56s

I agree, but I don't like that in and out of over drive, and the gas mileage drop. Other than that it accelerates fine, drives fine. The 4.0 is a really nice engine. party1:

31x10.50's on RE 4.5 lift, jet chip, k&N AirTube, Rusty's FlowMaster CatBack, bosch 02 sensors, automatic. I've been getting about 18.5mpg cant keep my foot out of the gas, accelerates flawless its a DD. Don't plan on regearing right now, maybe in a few years when i turn it only Off-Road.

I ran 32s on 4.5 RE lift with 3.55 GEARS on my 87 XJ for over year. Mpg was 13-17, Running around town you wont notice the gearing much.When you get on the interstates and hills it will downshift alot and power loss is noticeable. I had no regrets running the 32s intill I regeared

I have a buddy who ran 32" tires with 3.55 gears for a couple of years. He was ok with it, BUT he was a happy camper when he re-geared and wondered why he waited.

I ran 31's on 3.55's for a couple of years and that worked ok.

I wouldn't ever run 33's on 3.55's. It sucks. I drove 33's on 3.55's for about 100 miles right before I re-geared. It was like having a wet Poodle trying to pull my XJ. :eye:

offroader461 said:
Um NO.. dont be jealous d:sure:
It's really hard to believe that a vehicle, especially Jeeps, can get more than what it's rated at. My brother's all stock 01' 2wd XJ got 21mpg once and that was all freeway.

When my '99 was all stock, I drove it like a grandma and was only able to squeeze 19.5 mpg on a freeway trip.

Did you recalibrate your speedo gear??

E

xjkilla said:
99 with 4.5" and 33x10.50 with stock gearing. acceleration sucks and sometimes i drop way down to make it up hill. but havent had a problem wheeling it yet.

I have the same thing but with 12.5" wide tires and agree with you, but I also rode in my buddies yj with 3.07 gearing and then 4.56 gearing on 33s and 35s and holy shit what a difference, it made me get the ball rolling way faster on regearing mine

I just completed my RE 3.5" lift and threw 31" mtrs on it. Compared to the 30" Geolanders on it a few days ago, there is a noticable loss of power and 'snappiness'. I can still drive 75 on the highway, even up and down some decent hills without it dropping out of OD, but it's definitly not the same as before. Makes me sad. Now I have to decide on bumpers or regearing instead of just bumpers :(

Oh yeah, stock 3.55 gears.

EliasJ123 said:
I have a buddy who ran 32" tires with 3.55 gears for a couple of years. He was ok with it, BUT he was a happy camper when he re-geared and wondered why he waited.

I ran 31's on 3.55's for a couple of years and that worked ok.

I wouldn't ever run 33's on 3.55's. It sucks. I drove 33's on 3.55's for about 100 miles right before I re-geared. It was like having a wet Poodle trying to pull my XJ. :eye:

It's really hard to believe that a vehicle, especially Jeeps, can get more than what it's rated at. My brother's all stock 01' 2wd XJ got 21mpg once and that was all freeway.

When my '99 was all stock, I drove it like a grandma and was only able to squeeze 19.5 mpg on a freeway trip.

Did you recalibrate your speedo gear??

E

Yup everything is per spec and thats what it averages...i kept track because i drove a ridiculous amount of miles for work

Not to change the subject about make believe 28mpg mj with 33's, I have an XJ with 31x10.50r15 4.5" rusty's lift what gears should i be running and what is a good brand to buy. I'm having the same problem goin up hills and dropng out of OD and it gets annoying.

Last edited:
Same kind of question. I've got a '98 with a AW4 and a 5.5'' RE lift, I run 33 12.50's with whatever stock gears are in a 8.25 and can barely squeeze 15mpg's out of it. Will 4.56's be the best choice to get better mileage?? Or 4.10's?

Last edited:
Back