• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flasher unit

B192734

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone happen to know what the part number is for a flasher unit for a 2000 XJ? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the rest of the internet...

Is there a separate flasher unit on the fuse box, or is it a relay located inside of the steering column? I have seen both answers and others saying that it's both. I am not at home right now to tear it apart, and can't find my manuals or haynes since I just moved and they seem to still be lost in the boxes. I called a parts store, but the only thing they had was $30 and that seemed a little much if it was just a fuse box plug-in. Any information would be great. I live right down the street from the police precinct, and would rather not get stopped for not signalling...

Thanks, and everyone have a great rest of their day.

Anyone happen to know what the part number is for a flasher unit for a 2000 XJ? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the rest of the internet...

Is there a separate flasher unit on the fuse box, or is it a relay located inside of the steering column? I have seen both answers and others saying that it's both. I am not at home right now to tear it apart, and can't find my manuals or haynes since I just moved and they seem to still be lost in the boxes. I called a parts store, but the only thing they had was $30 and that seemed a little much if it was just a fuse box plug-in. Any information would be great. I live right down the street from the police precinct, and would rather not get stopped for not signalling...

Thanks, and everyone have a great rest of their day.

I think hand signals are still legal in Oregon.

Napa NF EP27, I don't know the specific location, but under the dash, driver's side would be common.

I actually did use hand signals the other day just in case...I pulled up to a stop light next to my house and a cop pulled up opposite me. I tried turning the left turn signal on and off continually, but it wasn't working even then, so I stuck out the arm and signaled. I think he MAY have laughed at me, but I can't be sure...

I actually did use hand signals the other day just in case...I pulled up to a stop light next to my house and a cop pulled up opposite me. I tried turning the left turn signal on and off continually, but it wasn't working even then, so I stuck out the arm and signaled. I think he MAY have laughed at me, but I can't be sure...

He probably thought "Good, he knows how to drive and I won't pull him over."

Thanks for the timely info. My turn signals flashers gave up the ghost this weekend and I used hand signals driving home. I am sure that no one understood what i was doing.

Thanks for the timely info. My turn signals flashers gave up the ghost this weekend and I used hand signals driving home. I am sure that no one understood what i was doing.

Well, I just have one suggestion. When signaling a right turn, you should keep all of your fingers pointing straight up--not just the one. :D

No body under 40 that is!!

I learned to drive in a 53 GMC pick-up that only had 1 tail light - standard.

According to the Haynes manual, on a '97 and later, you have to remove both the "steering column opening cover" and the "knee blocker" to access the flasher. It looks like a real PITA. How long is it likely to take someone who hasn't done it before? Does anyone who has done it have any tips to make the operation go smoothly? And is there any way to be sure the flasher is the problem before going to all that trouble?

According to the Haynes manual, on a '97 and later, you have to remove both the "steering column opening cover" and the "knee blocker" to access the flasher. It looks like a real PITA. How long is it likely to take someone who hasn't done it before?

About 10 minutes :)

Does anyone who has done it have any tips to make the operation go smoothly? And is there any way to be sure the flasher is the problem before going to all that trouble?

Sure. The knee blocker they're referring to is probably the plastic outer kick panel below the steering column; there will be anywhere from zero to three or four Philips screws in its lower edge (the one parallel to the floor) depending on how many have fallen out over your XJ's life. Remove them, then work the panel out of the two pop clips holding its upper edge in along the bottom of the dash. Put the panel somewhere that it won't get stepped on; ask me how I learned that lesson.

Once that's out, you'll be presented with a big, blank, stamped-metal panel that looks like it's not meant to move, EVER. I can't remember the exact locations of all of the Philips screws that hold it in, but there's one either side of the steering column. Remove them and it'll be obvious where the others I can't remember the location of (assuming they exist - something's telling me there may just be tabs in the lower edge holding it in place) are; unscrew them and remove the panel.

At this point you'll have a nice, big, square-ish gaping hole under the steering wheel. The flasher relay will be in there around the top left. Assuming it's not totally shot, turning on the indicators or hazard lights can help to locate it by hand or ear via the clicking it usually makes - if it's the OEM one, it'll probably be grey; if it's been replaced at some point, it'll probably be black.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, casm. Now that I know it's only a ten minute deal, I almost wish I had done it yesterday instead of blowing it off to go play golf. But not really. I'll dive into it when I get home tonight. Thanks very much.

Back