• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flares: Rusty's, Bushwackers, None, Stock, YJ/TJ?

Which flares do you like w/35's and 6" lift

• Rusty's

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Bushwacker

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • Trimmed Stock Flares

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • TJ/YJ

Votes: 57 24.7%
  • None

Votes: 55 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
XJEEPER said:
They replace the stock front fenders, 84-96.
Here's another option that is fitted on a 97-01 looking rig...............
http://glassworksunlimited.com/gu71.shtml

Wow, I really like that instead of fending my flares. If I ever wanted to upgrade I dunno how the new guy would like a bunch of holes in his fender or it trimmed a bunch. How much do you guys think a body shop would charge to paint those?

- Kevin

I used the fenderlip; mounts with screws to the inside (hadda weld in a 1" strip to the fronts for attachment), we also welded in a panel from the bottom rear of the fronts to a point about center of the wheelwell. (hadda close off the gap to the hinges, you guys been leaving this open?) These two things stiffened the fender nicely. We also moved the fender support from where we cut the front of the fender, up a bit and reattached it. As I said- I may redo it with more arch in the cut and with the 4 1/2" re-inforced. I will do my best to get pix today/tonight, newbie with digital cam....
:roll:

:eyes:
Okay, I got the pix and they suck....(XJ Pix- http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287572069)
I'm not thrilled with the flares in their current state :puke: ; they'r really not doing much to keep anything clean. Plus, I dont like the squared look. I'm gonna cut the fenders more and with more arch. And get the 4 1/2" Reinforced flares.
If ya look close enuf; you can see the panels welded inside the fender to the pinch-seam. They go all the way up to the middle of the well and then bend up to almost the top. I'll fill the gaps (cant see em) with foam. There is almost no give to the front fenders, pretty stiff with the front support. We also filled the small gaps, front + rear of the rear wells, where the body line bumps out with welded plates.
It was alot of welding 'n' grinding and it's gonna suck to cut it all out and re-do it. :doh:
And so much for el-cheapo flares; I'll have $130 into them after tossing the first ones.

Last edited:
Land Rover Rollcage

The rollcages used in land rovers are made by Safety Devices. They are extremely functional and not just for looks. They also make them for other vehicles. Dont know if they do them for jeeps but they should have a list on their website. They used them on the Defender 110 in the USA because of government standards for safety.

http://www.cars.u-net.com/safetydevices.htm

I've run Rusty's and Bushwhackers. I kept breaking off Rusty's as they are extremely brittle if you just bump them. They will fold a bit but any kind of scrape or bump broke them off. If I was just running Moab it would not be a problem as you don't scrape the fenders much there. But I also run Tellico and there you are always scraping the fenders and the bumpers and the sides of the XJ. I have bought one complete set of Rusty's and had to replace three pieces.
If you go with the BWs remember that they do NOT fit the newer (98 and up)XJ four doors very well. I know! I've scrape my BWs just about off and they didn't break.

i've run the BW's .. they are off now because i couldnt get them to stretch when i decided i was going to run 37s.. i simply have to cut too much wheel well out. I'll be running 4 rear TJ flares now with speedclips or some other quick detach mouting so i can just take em off when i hit the trail.

I just say a REALLY cool idea this guy had on the front of his 92' XJ. He took the stock outside flares off, peeled out the inside plastic flap, then cut the metal flang off with a round carbide cutting tool. Next he positioned the original outside flares on the body, then marked were he needed to drill new holes, then bolted the flare inn. IT looks great at probably gave him 2 more inches to work with.

I'd say bushwackers, but i like the rooster tail thing. I've sent more than my share at other people on the road when you are a northerner stuck in the south (no offense guys). we just know how to drive in the snow.

Kristen

Yeah, I live in NC. A friend and I were pulled over bc the cop said that we were driving 'wrecklessly' around the turn. But we simply told him that our jeep only looks that way bc we didnt have swaybars and our tires are past the body bc we didn't have flares. The cop understood, and said "have a good day."

XJAlaska said:
Anyone got pix of rear TJ flares up front on the XJ?

Chilly said:
I vote for the TJ flares, thats what I am running and they look great. Couple tips though, one take your time with the marking and trimming, and second if mounting on an XJ mount the rear completely and then cut it for the door to open that way everything lines up right.

http://www.imageshack.us/img1/6787/PICT8.JPG

http://www.imageshack.us/img1/3162/PICT26.JPG

They dwarf the 35" MTR's though!!

Yah 35" MTR's, It's a pieced together lift from several different companys, the front long arms are from a RE tj lift, and the springs from Skyjacker. All in all I'm sitting at about 11 inches total. It flexes very well.

I am going to be changing out tires this summer, putting the MTR's on the CJ and I'm going to go with the new 36" Iroks I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back