• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Find and build and xj or go 2007

Not opposed to a 4 banger but I haven't really seen any.

Also not opposed to spending more on a clean later model, the budget was kind of set on what I was willing to risk on a used car. If the budget get too high, I guess I would have to consider the benifits of jumping the kid into a new base model small truck.

Still keeping my eye out for an xj.

man you must live in a tough area ive had 3 xjs and added together they are worth (at time of purchase) 4850 combined 2 4.0litre and 1 2.5 and i got an extra tranny t case tail lights bumpers doors wiring harness computer doors drive shafts and dash with one and my wifes is a 91 with power every thing but seats and after a couple years is just starting to show rust all were 5 speed put

yup

$2000 is more then enough for an xj.... no need for a newer model...
why add the NEED to add an sye to a budget/mild build? just for a newer interior?
ive never seen a late model in any of my local junkyards.....

Last edited:
xcm said:
$2000 is more then enough for an xj.... no need for a newer model...
why add the NEED to add an sye to a budget/mild build? just for a newer interior?
ive never seen a late model in any of my local junkyards.....

Well, his very first post indicated he was worried about too many repairs.

A $2000 '92 with 200k on it is obviously gonna need more work more often than a $4000 '99 with half the miles.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the airbags are a nice peace-of-mind thing for your youngun...

Robert

Personally, i think that airbags wouldnt do alot of good in an offroad accident, When i rolled my 90, had it had airbags i wouldnt have been able to just get everything that fell out the broken back windows and put it all back in, make sure every one was ok, and start it back up and drive back home. Airbags worry me more than no airbags.

So there is one thing I don't get about this...nowhere did you ever mention what your kid wanted. Do they actually want an XJ? I think that is pretty important here.
And is it really that hard to find cherokees near you?

it's NOT important what the kid wants if it's being given to him. he can accept whatever his dad damn well pleases to give him. I'd give him a cheap volvo just to be mean...

Figure id chime in and possibly get flamed...
I owned an 04 rubi w/ 3'' bds lift and 33's. ABSOLUTELY loved it, went everywhere offroad (im not a big rock cralwer though), drove extremely well on road and all for less than 18g. Then one day i went for a tumble at 50mph, rolled bout 7-8 times. i came out without a scratch on me and the rubi was still runnin, although not driveable. Roll bar and seat belt saved my life. Then last year i bought an 01 xj. Put an 8'' RK lift, d44 f, fd9'' r, 5.13's, 35 bfg mt's, cage, and a nice high steer setup (from parts mike and dedenbear). Build cost inc. xj just under 10g. ABSOLUTELY hated it! Constant problems...tc cracked, DW, COG, bump steer etc. Drove like sh!t on road even with NEW bfg mt radials proper alignment, new shocks, shackles, blah blah blah. And i was not at all impressed with it offroad with all that potential. Point is, the rubi turned out to be safer, more reliable, drove better on road and even wheeled better (unless lots of lift was required), and all together much less of a PITA. That said, im looking for another xj, 96-99, auto, less than 100k, and hopefully ill have better luck with it, im a poor recently graduated college student, so im forced to go the cheap and hopefully reliable route. My vote would be 04 rubi low miles u can probably find for around 17g if u plan on keepin it a while and mostly for dd, and an xj if u wanna save money and help ur kid learn about vehicles and plan on wheelin a good amount. Good luck!

Well, I won't flame ya, I'll just point out that you're comparing an $18k TJ with 3" to a $10k XJ w/ 8".

Of course it drove better.

Robert

agreed.

but a 8" lifted xj should still handle "well" if it's dialed in correctly. that means professionals or lots of research to make the finishing touches...it will be by no means a little mazda miata or anything on handling, but should handle well. and if your'e worried about COG, don't lift it 8" with stock width axles...that's askin for trouble.

btw, i'm not flaming, merely providing info for anyone else wanting to do an extreme lift.

i have a 98 XJ, i put a 4.5 inch lift on by myself in 2 days, and i had never done a suspension in my life...im 18 and i love this thing....i had a sports car and they just get u a shitty driving record....i know 1st hand, cuz im not gettin decent insurance for 3 years...go with the XJ, educate yourself, and make sure u get a 4.0L...best engine ever...im at 193,600 miles and it runs like new, and i go wheelin all the time...while it bein my daily driver.

If you live in a hot climate do yourself a favor and pickup a 97+ xj the ac is SOOO much nicer after the redesign.. I had an older style and just picked up a 98 with 50k on the ticker that is pristine for 6k...worth every penny just to not have those little ac vents and a heater that blows somewhere other then the floor :)

And track down a 5 speed much more fun and better MPG to boot i get 20+ in town with the 4.0

I live in Tucson AZ though and cruise with the windows down 90% but every now and then when its 100+ that AC sure is nice... and chicks don't like to sweat :) important when your 16 imo

lol than what to i know i am an old man at 25 :)

Just my .02

Back