• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fat City rebuilds Austin Stobaugh's Jeepespeed part 2

that currie axle looks like trophy truck caliber. Is its beef necessary for the speeds JS racers see through the rough?

I hit a tree in Parker that caught the rear tire, broke the wheel and blew a soft ball size hole in the side wall. I thought for sure the housing would bent but it didn't move. It was as straight as it was when it was new.

It is a fine-looking axle. Heck, the whole rig is pretty sexy. Nice work guys!

Almost ready for the new Currie Ent. fabbed 9 housing and fresh Currie 9+ 3rd member.
DSC00194.jpg

SEXY!

Lookin' real nice guys. Looks like Ryan has been plenty busy.

Who did the carbon fiber work? Looks really good.
You should put a boot on there for the tilt wheel. ;)

Carbon fiber will really screw your lungs up in a fire. Please make sure you're aware if something happens and it catches.

Wow, I didn't know that.
I wonder why so many race cars use carbon fiber? F1, ALMS, GrandAm, NASCAR, et-al must be doing it wrong.

Wow, I didn't know that.
I wonder why so many race cars use carbon fiber? F1, ALMS, GrandAm, NASCAR, et-al must be doing it wrong.

I didn't say it was going to kill you right then and there. But once the fibers get airborne, if you breathe them in, they get stuck in your lungs and never come out.

I saw all the pictures from KOH this year when the buggies were catching on fire, I just thought someone that might not have F1 factory support should know it's dangerous.

i'd be more worried about the lungs of whoever cuts the holes, hole saw in carbon makes mean dust (the white stuff in the pic) use a respirator guys! if it makes you itch, get some talc powder for your arms/neck/face. it blocks your pores.

...so???? who made the dash? and how'd she fit?

You guys are right, what was I thinking? A little advice about composite safety is just XXXXing stupid.

Ever been near a composite fire? It burns faster than everything else that's already on fire. The fibers are microscopic, so even if you are out of the vehicle watching it burn, it will screw your lungs up.

Good luck.

You guys are right, what was I thinking? A little advice about composite safety is just XXXXing stupid.

Ever been near a composite fire? It burns faster than everything else that's already on fire. The fibers are microscopic, so even if you are out of the vehicle watching it burn, it will screw your lungs up.

Good luck.

Chill... We were joking. I'm sure it's serious.
If the dash, that is a foot in front of my face catches on fire, my first thoughts will surely be "where did I put my resperator"

Eric

Chill... We were joking. I'm sure it's serious.
If the dash, that is a foot in front of my face catches on fire, my first thoughts will surely be "where did I put my resperator"

Eric

The times I was in a burning race car (twice), I can assure you that was NOT my first thought... I do remember thinking about needing some TP or a shop rag, but that was sometime after I ejected myself from the car.

The times I was in a burning race car (twice), I can assure you that was NOT my first thought...
I was on a burning sail boat once. My thoughts at the time were(very clearly remembered too!): "I wish I had been paying attention when they went over where the fire extinguishers are kept".

The times I was in a burning race car (twice), I can assure you that was NOT my first thought... I do remember thinking about needing some TP or a shop rag, but that was sometime after I ejected myself from the car.

Just to be clear, it's not about when you're in the car. It's about after you're out and it's still burning.

Once man-made vitrous fibers are airborne, they can be entered into the lungs simply by breathing what you think is normal air. Any composite damage during a mishap on our aircraft is immediately sprayed with wax to prevent those airborne contaminants.

It won't suck until 20 or 30 years later.

Back