• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan switch??

What year? I have a 2000 and the electric fan is controlled by the PCM via the relay. The computer tells the relay when to allow power to the fan by grounding the control circuit of the relay. I imagine tapping into the control wire from the PCM to ground it via the switch would kick the fan on. Although this would cause it to turn on, It wouldn't shut it off if the PCM was telling it to be on. I am sure someone has done this, but I will look at the diagrams some more and see if I can figure this out. What is it you are trying to accomplish? To turn it on earlier, or just be able to turn it off for say a water crossing? Or both (which I think is the harder option).

Although a 3 position switch on this ground circuit may do it. you could be on (normal PCM control)-off (open circuit, fan would be off)-on (manual override by routing switch to ground. Not sure if this would throw a code if the PCM couldn't control the fan. At least this is my guess on how you could do it on a 1997-2001.

Pretty sure all you need to do is find the ground pin of the fan control relay, tap in there and connect a toggle switch to ground.

All the computer is doing to turn on the fan is grounding that pin, so you just ground it when you want.

On my '88 Renix I found the wire that goes hot when the fan turns on. It was at the front inner driver's fender. Wired a relay and toggle switch to turn it on. 86 and 87 of relay get constant 12 volts. 30 goes to the wire that goes hot when fan turns on. And finally, 85 goes to one pole on the switch and the other pole goes to chassis ground.

dub

Back