• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Skids from Junk Yard

IF you're really concerned about a GTS, look for a ZJ, they quite frequently come with them and will fit your 97+ XJ, all you need to do is drill out the front mounting holes to line up with your factory hitch, shouldn't be hard if you get it all there!

Would a front skid be beneficial for Desert running, even at 3.25" or so? I'm always destroying old dried out bushes and worried about them getting stuck in the engine, haha...

Look for control arm skids on the XJ, along with diff skids and such, they may not be too functional, but definately are reassuring!

The XJ I found isn't even on tires, so even though it appears to have the complete factory skid set, I won't be able to get at the bottom skids, just the gas and front end.

98XJSport said:
The XJ I found isn't even on tires, so even though it appears to have the complete factory skid set, I won't be able to get at the bottom skids, just the gas and front end.
Usually a boneyard will put the rigs up on stands or a stack of old tires or whatever if you ask in advance. They don't want people crawling around under cars supported by jacks. If they won't do this, screw em, they don't want your money. The t/c skid is the best part of the package. You'll only need about a foot of clearance & a long reach to get the 2 bolts on the x-mbr.

This XJ is way out back, they aren't going out there unless it's time to crush it. I will probably be able to grab one of the tons of factory jacks out there and get it up enough, is the tc skid worth it?

98XJSport said:
This XJ is way out back, they aren't going out there unless it's time to crush it. I will probably be able to grab one of the tons of factory jacks out there and get it up enough, is the tc skid worth it?
factory tc skid is better than nothing, but only 3 (three) bolts hold it in place

factory skid compared to BruceB's Skid, held in place with 6 bolts:
normal_DSC_0142%7E0.JPG

normal_DSC_0144%7E1.JPG

Ill grab it if I can, but the plan is to get BruceBs skid in the future.

Back