• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory overhead console

Yes CollinM when i open my door both set of lights come on. I used to only get the back ones but after turning around the conector they all come on.
They also work like the map lights should for the front and back seats.

XJ88User said:
Yes CollinM when i open my door both set of lights come on. I used to only get the back ones but after turning around the conector they all come on.
They also work like the map lights should for the front and back seats.
Which connector did you flip upside down? The one at the computer or one of the ones on the lights?

One of the ones up by the lights inside the overhead console itself, it was the one connected to the front light/compass assembly (or in that area) it has 5 or 6 black wires attached to it.
If i could get pictures at work here I could point it out to you easy as i have seen other console write ups show it. I'll try to find one when i get home that shows it.

XJ88User said:
One of the ones up by the lights inside the overhead console itself, it was the one connected to the front light/compass assembly (or in that area) it has 5 or 6 black wires attached to it.
If i could get pictures at work here I could point it out to you easy as i have seen other console write ups show it. I'll try to find one when i get home that shows it.

See, they all turn on when I hit the "push" switch they just don't come on with the doors opening.

Only had a little bit of time so I tried only doing the lights, I spliced into the factory wiring for the dome/map light(pink hot wire, black&white ctsy light wire and black gnd wire) and the front lights were on as soon as I added power, I had all the doors open so I shut them and the front lights stayed on, the back lights on the console wouldn't go on with a door opened but they'd go on if you pressed the button. I couldn't get the front lights to go off when the doors were shut and I pressed the buttons but nothing changed so I ended up snipping the hot lead.

Could my problem be that I only connected the wires for the lights and nothing else or is this unrelated?

The wiring harness that runs from the compass/temp computer to the front lights to the rear lights was disconnected when I took it apart, I'm pretty sure everything went back together right but if it didn't would this be causing my problem?

Thanks for the help guys, I wouldn't have been able to get this far w/o it. I posted pics in the pic section.

http://www.underground-ink.biz/Jeep_cherokee_1990/jeep5/jeep_07.htm

This link from cykaaro shows the two conectors, the top picture has the one i swapped to get all the lights to work and still have them function as map lights.

His whole write-up is here it served me well enough i figured i could grab one and make it work in my XJ.
http://www.underground-ink.biz/Jeep_cherokee_1990/jeep5/jeep_01.htm

If you have your lights stay on even if your doors are closed you have one of the plugs in the wrong way. I started by making sure the lights came on. I then unplugged both of the conectors and starting with the front one just plugged them in one at a time untill they did like they were suppost too.

If you need picture just ask and I'll see about taking my console down and trying to get a close up or something.

Ok, got the light issue straightened out, I hooked the console up to a 12V power source and I couldn't get the computer to come on, I hooked the Illumination wire, the Pannel dimmer wire, ctsy lamp wire, ignition wire, gnd wire and the hot wires up but I didn't get anything on the screen on the computer. There's a Black&Orange wire I'm assuming is a ground so I hooked i up along with the ground wire cut I couldn't get anything on the 'screen' to come on, any idea what I did wrong?

don't mean to hi-jack but I've got the same console and I pulled it out of a junkyard jeep and the console reeks to hell, what can i do to make this thing smell better? you really can't smell it unless the lights are on for awhile but it reeks................................................................................................

Went junkyarding today and all of the early 90's Chrysler vans I saw had different consoles in it than mine, so what cars have the exact same console as the one I've got?

Zoro said:
Went junkyarding today and all of the early 90's Chrysler vans I saw had different consoles in it than mine, so what cars have the exact same console as the one I've got?
None. Only in the XJ.

Ok, got the console all wired up with the exception of the blue wire off the pig-tail for the console, I'm pretty sure this wire is for the Dimmer switch but in my XJ the dimmer switch wire is a different blue with a white stripe.

I wired the white and black wire(switched power source/ignition) to a white and black wire under the dash I thought is the ignition wire and I wired the Black&Orange(don't know what it is, some kind of GND?) to another Black&Orange wire under the dash that I believe is the correct wire for it.

Anyways the console computer doesn't light up/work when the car is turned on, it only comes on after I turn my wipers on but the wipers only work on high and that's the only wiper setting the console computer will come on.

The White&Black wire I tapped into goes to a gray box which I'm guessing is the Wiper Control Module.

The console computer worked great except for the fact that when I hit the Comp/Temp button the display goes off and nothing at all happens when I hit the Metric/Standard button but I think it's because I didn't wire up the temp sensor. IE: the display will say NE 0C

Sorry for the long post and thanx to all that've helped me get this far :)

-Zoro-

I've got a 99 xj and had a 90 laredo. I'm pretty sure the compass is in the roof. My owner's manuals said to keep magnets off the roof because it will mess up the compass in the roof.

However, my xm antenna seems not to affect it nor does my temporary cb antenna.

Go Go said:
I've got a 99 xj and had a 90 laredo. I'm pretty sure the compass is in the roof. My owner's manuals said to keep magnets off the roof because it will mess up the compass in the roof.

However, my xm antenna seems not to affect it nor does my temporary cb antenna.
Yea, got the compass working good just mis-wired some stuff...

Ok got the last of the wiring bugs straightened out but I have this one last problem, kinda. The computer thing works as it should but when I press the button for Comp/Temp the display just shuts off but when it's on it shows the direction and the temperature, just wondering if this is normal?

Anyway it doesn't really bother me and it works so thanks to all that've helped me out with this.

Zoro said:
Ok got the last of the wiring bugs straightened out but I have this one last problem, kinda. The computer thing works as it should but when I press the button for Comp/Temp the display just shuts off but when it's on it shows the direction and the temperature, just wondering if this is normal?

Anyway it doesn't really bother me and it works so thanks to all that've helped me out with this.

That is how it works in my 90 XJ Limited. I just leave it on.

Congrats on getting it figured out.

Anyone have the calibration info for these? I live in Woodland, Pa. And can't find which var to set mine to. I bought mine off of eBay, and it was set to 8, which doesn't really work right.

Thanks guys.
-Mike-

The info is in your owners manual.
I don't have my in front of me right now otherwise I'd have the info for ya.

Last edited:
Back