• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory overhead console

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Found an XJ with an overhead console, it's an 87-90 with a 4.0 because it's got the trans-comfort switch on the dash.

I want to put this in my 90 Cherokee which has a 4.0 and a 5-spd so what do I need to grab to make it work right on mine as far as sensors and wires go? I know on my XJ since there's no headliner that there's a red positive wire that runs accross the inside of the roof right over the windshield, is this the power source for the console?

I wanna bump this post so it doesn't get lost here tonight....My reasons are because I have a 90 XJ with the factory console that doesn't work. I'm not sure why, haven't really had time to chase down any wiring. The fuses all appear fine.....but anyway....so as not to hijack this thread, if someone can reply with some helpful info, it'll help us both.....soo....

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP!

You're going to want the brackets from the XJ as well as the wiring harness that plugs into 3 plugs under the dash. Chances are you aren't going to have all 3 but the one for the dome light you should have so you just unplug the dome light and plug the OHC one into that. Here is my writeup....
http://www.freewebs.com/jeepguy/techwriteups.htm
I put a 94's console into my 90, yours should be easier however because it is a 90 into a 90(ie:wire colors will be the same)
You may want to try searching as well because there have been a lot more writeups than just mine. Hope it helps.
-Collin

Got a few more questions, where exactly would the outside air temp sensor be mounted in the XJ I'm taking this out of(87-90) and what does it look like? If it's missing about how much should a new one be? Last but not least is the compass located in the console itself or somewhere else in the truck?

Last but not least there's a little ball on the console towards the rear which I'm guessing is for key-less entry, I don't have power locks but if I ever decided to put them in and hook up the key-less is the whole reciever system in the console or is it somewhere else?

Thanks

Zoro said:
Got a few more questions, where exactly would the outside air temp sensor be mounted in the XJ I'm taking this out of(87-90) and what does it look like? If it's missing about how much should a new one be? Last but not least is the compass located in the console itself or somewhere else in the truck?

Last but not least there's a little ball on the console towards the rear which I'm guessing is for key-less entry, I don't have power locks but if I ever decided to put them in and hook up the key-less is the whole reciever system in the console or is it somewhere else?

Thanks

I jsut recently purchased my 90 with that overhead console.I am pretty sure the air temp sensor is towards the front of the vehicle under the bumper? I read that somewhere. It may be incorrect. However i know the little dome is an infra-red recptor for keyless entry.I didnt wanna bother with that, so i tell people its a camera. I dont know where the compass is located.And i think there is probably a box under the dash for the keyless entry.If you look behind the lower part of the dash(under the steering wheel) theres a lot of little boxes.

Compass is located in the console in front of the light/switches, it's hidden under a cover (my cover is white) it looks like an X with wires wrapped around it. I wouldn't bother to go look to hard as the covers are plastic and very brittle, but if it ever falls off you will recognize the compass.

The temp sensor is located dead center behind the front bumper. It will look like the one one the left. The one on the right is what the 97+ temp sensor looks like. They ARE interchangeable. A new one from the dealer runs about $25-30.

dsc04433.jpg

The compass and keyless entry receiver are both internal within the console.
The lone red wire you see running across the top of the windshield if for the illuminated vanity mirror on the drivers side. That wire runs over to the passenger side and then down the A pillar where it plugs in behind the passenger kick panel. This is also where the overhead console wiring will plug in.

Here is a picture of where my temp sensor in located. Right behind the grill in the middle and under the stock aux transmission cooler. It is on a 2000 XJ , but sure it is the same on earlier models.
Hope this helps,
Alex

temp.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
The temp sensor is located dead center behind the front bumper. It will look like the one one the left. The one on the right is what the 97+ temp sensor looks like. They ARE interchangeable. A new one from the dealer runs about $25-30.

That explains why the temp on my 90 XJ goes up when stuck in traffic and not moving. It drops pretty quickly once I get moving again.

Any console from 88-96 will work. Other than color, the consoles are the same, only the wiring harness plugs are different. You can even put a newer 97+ console into an older XJ but it's not very cost effective since they generally sell for much more $$$ and like the pre97's, it will only display the temp and compass readings.

Picked up the console today but the temp sensor is long gone, what's the name of the part I need? Should all 4 of the lights on the console light up when the doors open or only the rears?

Zoro said:
Picked up the console today but the temp sensor is long gone, what's the name of the part I need? Should all 4 of the lights on the console light up when the doors open or only the rears?

When I added in my OHC I only got rears to come on. That is what you get by just using that dome light plug anyway. I've been told just the rears are supposed to come on on the older Chrysler ones like the ones that we put in our XJs. On the newer one like the ZJ OHCs, all 4 come on. I have an extra temp sensor if you'd like it, I'd do $15 shipped to your door. They're $25 new at the dealer, but the one I have works perfect, its just missing the bracket, but you wont get that with the dealer one either. I ended up just taping mine to the brace in front of the middle of the condenser, seems to work almost perfect except on real hot days sitting in traffic.

Only used the one wire from the dome light on mine.
If only your rear light come on check to make sure all the wires are push into the conector in the front, some come lose from the little spring backs the bite into the wire, and if that doesn't work do like my daughter sujested to me and flip it around 180 and try it, soon as i did that all four of my lights worked I just had the conector upside down.
I just have to wire in my compass and stuff, as it seems my 88 doesn't have that part of the harness.

Last edited:
XJ88User said:
Only used the one wire from the dome light on mine.
If only your rear light come on check to make sure all the wires are push into the conector in the front, some come lose from the little spring backs the bite into the wire, and if that doesn't work do like my daughter sujested to me and flip it around 180 and try it, soon as i did that all four of my lights worked I just had the conector upside down.
I just have to wire in my compass and stuff, as it seems my 88 doesn't have that part of the harness.

You're tellin me when you open the door all 4 lights on your OHC come on?

CollinM said:
I ended up just taping mine to the brace in front of the middle of the condenser, seems to work almost perfect except on real hot days sitting in traffic.
Zip-Ties man,.....its todays Duck Tape.Gotta love zip ties...they rock

Wallymander said:
Zip-Ties man,.....its todays Duck Tape.Gotta love zip ties...they rock

Oh yeah its real classy too, I did use duct tape, and the Jeep is black so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Took the head-liner material off of the console because it was dirty and falling off so how can I remove the foamish padding stuff that's underneath?

Cleaned it up nice with an SOS pad so I'm onto wiring now...On the harness that came out of the 'Donor' Jeep there's a big Pink wire, a little Pink&Blue wire, an Orange&Black wire a Black&White wire, an Orange&Light Green wire, a Blue wire, a White&Black wire, a Light Green, a couple of Solid Black wires, a Tan wire and a Black&Orange wire.

The Light Green, Tan and solid Black wires go to the sensor for keyless entry. I'm guessing the Pink wire is hot, the Orange&Black wire is for illumination, the White&Black wire is for the ignition, Black is obviously Ground so that leaves Black&Orange wire, a Black&White and a Pink&Blue. One of the 3 mystery wires should be for the temp senor so does anybody know what are they for?

Back