• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extremly Low Oil Pressure

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0

Recently, ive been noticing my oil pressure was kinda jacked up . At 1800 rpms, it was at 37-40, and at idle, it would drop to 20.

Well now, Im at about 30 at 1800 rpms, and at idle, im at 10 psi. What the hell could be causing my oil pressure to drop so low?

I just did an oil change today, if that matters.

Heres a video, at the beginning, im at 1800 rpms, then I let off and it goes to an idle, then back up to 1800 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H6ZZALBH_g

This should be in OEM Tech!

Mine is doing the exact same thing (2000 xj) i did notice the L-Arm plug hose thingy at the nose of the veichle on the valve cover is actually broken is yours?

Mine is doing the exact same thing (2000 xj) i did notice the L-Arm plug hose thingy at the nose of the veichle on the valve cover is actually broken is yours?

That is a little lower than mine, but not much.

Inspect your sending unit for leaks, Check the plug connections, Look for corrosion & Make sure it is plugged in properly.
Use Quality oil & filters (Like Mobil 1 or K&N), You would be suprised by how much your oil pressure will increase when using a quality filter.
If you truly have a High Milage XJ that the Oil pressure is dropping on switch to a Heavy oil Like Mobil one 15-50, It could add a long while to your engines life before you need a rebuild.

Last edited:
My 2000 had a problem very similiar to this. It would be at about 5 psi moving, and at idle it would drop to 0 psi. I replaced the sensor and it still had this problem.
Anyways, the motor took a crap at about 116k and was replaced.

Inspect your sending unit for leaks, Check the plug connections, Look for corrosion & Make sure it is plugged in properly.
Use Quality oil & filters (Like Mobil 1 or K&N), You would be suprised by how much your oil pressure will increase when using a quality filter.
If you truly have a High Milage XJ that the Oil pressure is dropping on switch to a Heavy oil Like Mobil one 15-50, It could add a long while to your engines life before you need a rebuild.

a bad connection would send the guage reading higher, the guage works off of resistance, the more resistance in the circuit the higher the guage reads.

If you are running a Fram oil filter, switch it out for another brand.

Idling during the summer... mine's like 2 psi... Only been doing that for 6 years and after almost 200,000 miles, guess not much to worry about. ;)

Mine is at like 8-10psi while warm idling. No problems yet - I have 150k on the clock. I don't worry about it.

The stock gauges are not always correct, I would check it with a different gauge to see if it registers same and check sending unit

Mine sticks at 20PSI and I worry about it, I really don't want my engine to take a crap. My plan is to eventually replace the pump. I run good filters and oil - bosch filter and Rotella 15-40. I had some serious sludge build up on the valve cover so I am sure the underside is coated the same way so some cleaning may be in order to restore my pressure.

On my brothers jeep pressure went down to 13psi at lights. We dropped the oil pan ant the pick up screen was all filled with lil hard rubber chunks, Like a gasket discenagrated. We cleaned it out put in a new pump and is doing good now. Still not sure where that came from tho

I had a problem with my oil pressure gauge shoot up to max and I drove for about 7 months and recently it starts to drop after the motor warm up to running temp. It will stay about 40-50 psi but when on highway, it keeps going to 0 and the gauge light will come on. After I had the sending unit replace, it runs normal like new.

Is a 2000 XJ sport with 110,000 miles and still kicking ass stoplight to stoplight.

Back