• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Export XJ?

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I saw this Cherokee tonight and was wondering if anyone knows if this might be a legit export model or if it was converted? It had a Michigan plate on it. It also had a small OME lift on it and chrome factory ICON wheels. The steering wheel is on the left side.

216106_1356675974011_1744851975_628115_6125670_n.jpg

218096_1356676294019_1744851975_628116_8080585_n.jpg

224223_1356676974036_1744851975_628117_5822124_n.jpg

European and I think also Australian vehicles have the front side marker lights on the front fender. Some countries in Europe have the steering wheel on the left side others on the right side.

That XJ looks like many I have seen on my island in the Caribbean. The only real give away that they were intended for differrent market is the front side marker. Every thing else are exactly like my XJ in Miami.

Oh! by-the-way, there are many Cherokees (XJ's) and Grand Cherokees (ZJ, WJ) there on the island with the Orivs package.

Yup' export taillights and fender blinkers, If I was building a DD stocker Id use those taillights and fenders. My buddy has the taillights they are nice

Maybe it's military. I bought a Jeep in Germany that was from Hawaii and brought it back to the states. :)

It wouldn't be hard to mod it to run the export lights; look at how many are running 2500 front end.

Looks like it has a trail rated badge on that 2nd pic. Obviously someone who knows what they have.

I'd imagine someone converted it. Looks cool.

It wouldn't be hard to mod it to run the export lights; look at how many are running 2500 front end.

I just don't understand why somebody would want to, it screws up the looks of the truck, as well as pretty much everything else they get stuck on with the exception of the Porsche Cayenne SUV, those are at least built into the wheel wells.

EU spec. My '96 Cherokee has most of the EU lighting on it, the taillight housings with rear fogs and the amber front marker lights (in the US they were clear on early models, amber looks nice on a back grille). I haven't put the lamps on the fenders on yet because the samples I have are beat up.

A good portion of the world got the ECE lighting package, this includes mainland Europe (left hand drive), the UK (right hand drive), Australia (right hand drive), Japan (right hand drive). I am not sure if US produced XJs were exported to China or Hong Kong, nor do I know what lighting they had. I also know that we exported to South America but do not know what lighting they had.

Another guy here in Southern California has a Japanese market 1996 Cherokee, he's got the same lights as mine but the steering wheel is in the wrong place.

No, not hard at all. For the tail lights it's three bolts per side. If you want to run the rear fogs then you need to do a wire run, I opted to do so for my '96. The only part you need any real mods is for the fender and that's just a rectangular hole.

The lights could have been added later. Tail lights are especially easy. The side marker look like factory style and appear to be in the correct location. If you see it again it might have a headlight leveling switch on the dash. It would be located below and to the right of where the flog light switch is. Pretty much in front of the transfer case shift lever.

A good portion of the world got the ECE lighting package, this includes mainland Europe (left hand drive), the UK (right hand drive), Australia (right hand drive), Japan (right hand drive).

I might have a chance to do a move to Australia next year and take my '99 XJ with me.

What sort of parts or conversions might I need to do to the lighting to ensure I'm compliant with road rules in Oz?

Thanks!

Back