• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition XJ Build, Tech & Sources Thread

I agree with some of that but for a multi purpose rig you need bigger tires to clear even the milder trails around here. I use a lot less throttle with my 35's to get over stuff than I did with 31's or 32's that I progressed through in my build.

With 4.88 gearing, RE 4.5 lift with ACOS in the front along with johnny jointed arms and DB's and shackle boxes in the rear to get the shackle angle correct, my rig rides and handles like my stockers sitting in the driveway. The fuel economy is just as good on the highway yet nt as good in town but not bad either. I do carry a lot of spares but i have had stuff break out of the blue with no warning. I'm a mechanic by trade and my rig is in top mechanical shape. I do pre trail ride and post trail rid inspections with a check-off sheet. Stuff will still break. And it always happens in the worst places.

Hey XJtrailrider.
Could you post a copy of that check off sheet?
As a non mechanic, but technically proficient Cherokee lover - I could really use a lits like that!

Kind of amazed you manged to fit the tire - did you take out the bottom support?

received my spectre kit yesterday... :)

also picked up some 33x10.50 bfg at, that may replace the 245/75 MTRs..

tire fits in stock location too.

IMG_2912_zps9dd5cc76.jpg

Nice Outside Temp with ICE Warning Mirror & Compass

Here is a nice upgrade for those of us operating in snow and ice conditions. You only have to hit black ice at night once to prefer not to drive without an outside temp indication!

There are two manufacturers I have found for these aftermarket, you wire, rear view mirrors. Both offer various combinations of the following features:

1. Auto Dimming Day/Night Function
  2. Outside Temperature
  3. Calibrated Compass
  4. Auto Dimming of above listed readouts
  5. Bypass of Auto Dim
  6. Map Lights
Here are the two most popular and best priced units I have found, I went with Gentex because I prefer the profile / larger view better.

Gentex GENK21A Auto Dimming Mirror W/compass Temperature
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK21A-Dimming-compass-Temperature/dp/B001H9ZD1O/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2
31luWAwJgxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature
http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-36400-Di...d=1351183877&sr=8-1&keywords=mirror+with+temp
31m-ODSPOFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Only the Gentex shows the * ICE warning for one minute when you hit 37o F
Many OEMs have used these mirrors, the kits are a stand-alone with wiring to add into your XJ.

For you cheap bastards the lower of the two is what is found in subaru outbacks. It is the only dimming mirror that I have ever been able to see out of. One of my favorite things about the wifes subie.

X E Ryder, from the two mirrors shown above, which one do you like best? I'm about to replace my windshield and this would be a good time to buy one.

We have an 02, but my parents have a 99, sister has an 05, all have the same mirror. Iirc some one did a swap on here a few years ago. I seem to remember them detailing the wire schematic as well?

X E Ryder, from the two mirrors shown above, which one do you like best? I'm about to replace my windshield and this would be a good time to buy one.

I'm partial to the Gentex buddy. Primarily because when you hit 37o F it has an obvious * ICE warning for one minute in the display (then goes back to showing actual readings). Also, It has a little more glass - my '03 Outback sedan had the other, it's a little smaller and the case is bigger.

What year outbacks for the mirrors?

My '03 had one of these, but you'd still need the remote temp sensor and wiring harness - the kits are complete - might be an easier route than junkyard. That temp sender could be buried in the harness.

is this case, it's still there.. once i decide if i keep these tires though, i may remove it, to scoot the tire over a bit more..

Yea that's a tight fit! There was another member on here that said he moved the back seat upper latch forward, just an inch or two, and remounted it so his seat locks again. I really wanted the interior storage space or I might have done a similar setup.

Yea that's a tight fit! There was another member on here that said he moved the back seat upper latch forward, just an inch or two, and remounted it so his seat locks again. I really wanted the interior storage space or I might have done a similar setup.
agree! i'd love to have more room, especially w/2 kids, and a dog, but the $1000+ price tag for a nice rear carrier, is tough ;)

Tire Carrier for less $$ - Tailbone

agree! i'd love to have more room, especially w/2 kids, and a dog, but the $1000+ price tag for a nice rear carrier, is tough ;)

It IS a big bite out of the budget! Was really worth saving for though, and you can add some of the options later.

You could always go with a Detours Tailbone, that is about $400
http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php
tailbone_main.jpg

It will give you some clevis' too! Then you can put the Big Boggie in the back! Especially helpful when he's been in the river hehe.

It IS a big bite out of the budget! Was really worth saving for though, and you can add some of the options later.

You could always go with a Detours Tailbone, that is about $400
http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php
tailbone_main.jpg

It will give you some clevis' too! Then you can put the Big Boggie in the back! Especially helpful when he's been in the river hehe.

haha! yeah.. i may ask detours to make me one.. i know they are on a per order basis now.. just bought a winch bumper and winch w/synthetic line. Good $800 chunk haha.

Gentex GENK20A Auto Dimming Mirror W/compass Temperature

Gentex GENK20A Auto Dimming Mirror W/compass Temperature

This is a great addition to your XJ if you are gong to have to deal with any snow or ice. Due to my work location it is essential to keep an eye on outside temperature. The kit has the mirror, wiring harness, remote outdoor temp sensor with plenty of wire, and included a nice trim piece to hide the wiring harness leading up to the headliner. With the auto dim feature also, it makes a nice modern addition to your XJ IMO.

xe-mirror_zpsd03c91bc.jpg

This is where I purchased mine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083AEVYA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03

:flipoff:

well, got my bumper & winch on. and some other goodies.

IMG_3168_zps342c23a9.jpg

IMG_3169_zps21c3c09f.jpg

99+ intake, xjfiles bored tb & spectre kit

IMG_3178_zps4468d57a.jpg

jcr belly pan (I drilled last bolt after the pic)
IMG_3184_zps8461164b.jpg

Looks like a clean install! Mine is good to go, just waiting for vacation to go out again!

I Forgot how much I Liked this thread , djlarroc That Bumper looks awesome I love body matched bumpers !

Its been a while so I have some updates on mine Too , I got all of this done just in time for Winterfest except The Bumper and relocation brackets were done shortly thereafter.

Here's my Expedition style build so far
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904

I Got these new things done and I think all in the build thread !

2x6 rocker replacements w outer tube steps
Hd offroad mid stiffeners
Spectre cowl intake
Jcr offroad Trans and gas skid
JB conversions built Hd t-case
Cobra CB
JCR Rear cut and fold bumper with wrap around armor
H.D. Offroad Shackle relocation brackets

And planned to come

Hybrid cage
33" tires (currently on 31's)
either jeeptubes.com or H.o.r.e. tube fenders and tail light boxes.
Front and rear HD offroad stiffeners .
Kevins Offroad Steering brace to go with my C-rock inner and my bumpers outer steering brace. ( I want to be SOLID )
rear organizer box and spare tire holder (inside rear gate)
Also I have the back half of a Cherokee that will be my expedition trailer to mount my rooftop tent on !

And for sleeping

I have a Tepui Tents Gran Sabana for sleeping that we love (on the tow rig)
and The Big Buddy Heater with the long gas hose to keep the tank outside the tent.
and we LOVE IT

And New For Eating !

For eating we got a Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven like This http://www.sears.com/camp-chef-outd...x000001&kpid=00602785000P&kispla=00602785000P

We LOVE this thing , we were able to cook a full size Enchilada Casserole In Below Zero weather for the Potluck at Winterfest .

Last edited:
Back