• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

1989 Cherokee ltd. 4L, AW4, NP242, 3.55, 'RENIX'
how difficult is it to replace the torque converter lockup (clutch?) and / or solenoid ??
How can you test to see which is the problem ?
actually I assume that if is slips at all - for years - the clutch or 'lock-up' surface needs replaced.?.

How viable is a later model junkyard one?
how much modification for JY parts?
AnyOne?

The lock up clutch is inside the TC, it is not servicable.

Solenoid #3 , botton side of the valve body, activates the TC lock up in high gears at crusie with the brake off. So bad wiring, bad brake switch, bad TPS (confusing the TCU), bad #3 transmission solenoid, or bad ground on any of those parts can keep from the solenoid from turning on and locking the TC up in the first place.

Oh, and by the way...I noticed this street sign in Mendocino....I know it's a letter off, but what the hey...I snapped a pic.

Anyone know where to direct me to post that might describe in detail what wires I need to splice to retro a '95 aw4 4x4 trans harness and comp into my 88 2wd ba10 harness? Im really crossing my fingers here lol. from the data in the original posting the 95 trans and transfer case will work in my truck assuming it was 4x4 already.. I hope I didn't screw myself :bawl:

They are completely different. You'll need the TCU from the donor...or from similar year donor. The only "harness" for a BA/10 is for the back-up lights. There is no TCU for a BA/10. There are no other electrical connections on the manual tranny.

This is THE best thread to start your swap. I wish I'd found this 3 months ago. I'm doing essentially the same swap...rather FINISHING the swap after running in to a wall of no time/no money/work issues/medical issues and plain old "I'm an idiot" issues. I've almost got it tamed...I have all the specific wiring diagrams now if you want them. PM me and I'll send them along...​

Last edited:
I have a 99 Jeep XJ 4.0 with a Aw4 auto Trany. I just replaced the ECM computer because it wouldn't run. With the Snap on Solaris computer came up with a code for a TCC Solenoid. The vehicle had no Tranny issues before or does now. It still shifts fine through all the gears and feels like it goes into overdrive. Any information would be great upon what to look for because the check engine light will not go out even if I try to reset it or clear it.

Does anyone know the part number for the output shaft seal, AW4-NP231, 96 year model.

The one Oreillys gave me does not seem correct. I'm getting ready to install the tranny and need to get the right one!

Does anyone know the part number for the output shaft seal, AW4-NP231, 96 year model.

The one Oreillys gave me does not seem correct. I'm getting ready to install the tranny and need to get the right one!

AW4 output shaft or NP231 output shaft. They may not have the 4X4 data in the computers. I had to go to 4x4 online places to get all the Renix era seals, NP242 and AW4, 2wd and 4wd. Quadratech has some, and I found some here,

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=aw4&Search.x=16&Search.y=11

but getting the right part is not easy, somewhat trial and error.

morris4x4center was the other place I found some IIRC

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/http://e.morris4x4centers.com/

Last edited:
They probably have given you a transfer case output seal, it took me 3 tries to get the counter moron to give me the right seal last time I redid a 4x4 AW4.

Ask for the one for the transmission 4x4 adapter housing and make sure it says something like that on the computer screen.

They probably have given you a transfer case output seal, it took me 3 tries to get the counter moron to give me the right seal last time I redid a 4x4 AW4.

Ask for the one for the transmission 4x4 adapter housing and make sure it says something like that on the computer screen.

Okay, Thanks Ken

Or look it up online and find the right part number yourself first.

Worked great for awhile. Now I've got tranny codes as follows;
p0753 shift solenoid A electrical'
p0713 tranz fluid temp sensor high input,
p1763 governor pressure sensor voltage too high,
p1765 tranz 12v supply control circuit fault.
.....BUT WHAT DO THEY MEAN ALL TOGETHER?
SOMEONE HEEEELP MEEE I HAVE A FLAT AW4... in my best gecko voice.
I'm thinking a solenoid(A) replace. Any thoughts?

I don't know what the hell you are talking about or what your jeep's problem is because the XJ doesn't have a governor pressure sensor or a fluid temp sensor.

Those are the codes word for word off the autoxray, hence my confusion.
Symptom is; holds too long in first gear.
Was working great, then bam, all I had was first gear. Did a dance and waved my snake rattle and it started working for about a day, then back to first only.
Replaced TPS. Now too long in first and OD is a bit sketchy

Last edited:
I would start with the 12v supply circuit fault first...since it could be causing the others and should be easy enough to diagnose.

I have a 91 xj I just got. The trans was shifting good, but I recently drained it via the pan drain bolt and refilled with new dex merc before a trip to tow a 4x8 trailer from Fresno to Sacramento. I put close to a gallon in and thought the level was right.

While driving in Fresno last night, after a brief drive on the freeway my trans started slipping on a brief uphill around 30-40mph then smoking out the back. I put it into neutral and coasted down the hill to a parking lot and called a flatbed.

Got it to my house in Fresno and checked the level, it's still full of oil, smells burnt and won't move in any direction forward or reverse in any gear.

I don't want to assume it needs a transmission or torque converter at this point. I can work on it the next few days. If it does need a new aw4 - how can you tell if a junkyard trans is any good? Tyia

Chances are decent that the new fluid you put in has cleaned grime and now clogged the filters. The trans may require a soft rebuild now, if no clutch packs have been welded together. It initially sounded ridiculous to me that new fluid could hurt an older transmission, but in this case, IF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID WAS NOT CHANGED AT REGULAR INTERVALS, the sudden addition of a significant amount of new fluid can in fact cause damage.

A persons plan of attack might start with draining the trans again to inspect the bottom of the pan for debris or any clues and remove the VB to inspect and clean it.

As far as a JY trans...aside from a visual inspection for leaks and damage, there really isn't any way to tell if the internals are good.

I've actually heard that before, from car dealers that sell older vehicles. I noticed after getting new fluid, it was not shifting into overdrive as well. Like it was running rpms longer and trying harder.

Chances are decent that the new fluid you put in has cleaned grime and now clogged the filters. The trans may require a soft rebuild now, if no clutch packs have been welded together. It initially sounded ridiculous to me that new fluid could hurt an older transmission, but in this case, IF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID WAS NOT CHANGED AT REGULAR INTERVALS, the sudden addition of a significant amount of new fluid can in fact cause damage.

I can personally attest to this. My Father's 1982 Lincoln Town Car sat, mostly undriven for years. When he died (1998), I inherited it. As it only had 45,000 miles on it, I elected to keep it. The transmission was a little squirrely, so I had the fluid and filter changed in Kingman Arizona where my Brother lives and my Dad died...

All it took was the drive back to the Springs (840+ miles) to completely destroy the box. Leastways, that was the opinion of the transmission shop that I took it to.

Traded the thing in on a '97 XJ...

The thoughts of the transmission shop was that the new fluid started loosening up all of the accumulated crud that then went everywhere. The car also had issues with the heater core becoming blocked. All from sitting. It did not even get started. The battery was completely dead when I walked up to it. Felt like shooting my Brother for allowing this to happen. It was not like it would have been a long trek to our Dad's place, they lived across the street from each other...

So, IMO, the worst thing you can do for an automatic transmission is to let it set.

I did a 4 qt flush on my somewhat ignored rig right when I bought it with some trepidation. It has been fine for months afterwards, so I think I'm in the clear to keep it in good condition :firedevil

My story is a little different. When I bought my highly neglected XJ, the Overdrive didn't work. In other words, the trany would not shift into OD no matter how fast my speed was. I started a drain and fill interval every week with Amsoil ATF. After the third drain and fill, the transmission shifted into OD. That was 4 years ago and my trany is still going strong. I also added an external transmission filter to help catch all the junk.

Back