• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic Misfire

I'm no expert,but mine does kinda the same,right after idle,as soon as I hit the gas it cuts out,then is fine after I get the RPMS up. EGR Valve perhaps? Mine is missing the hose on it I believe,or I'm guessing a vaccum line goes there? Sorry for the hi jack,just throwing out some info.

CrunchnMunch said:
I'm no expert,but mine does kinda the same,right after idle,as soon as I hit the gas it cuts out,then is fine after I get the RPMS up. EGR Valve perhaps? Mine is missing the hose on it I believe,or I'm guessing a vaccum line goes there? Sorry for the hi jack,just throwing out some info.

i assume you have an 87-90xj if you have an egr valve. yes, the egr could be the problem if the vacuum line is missing.

im no expert but through my own experience the cat could have a heat shield rattle and definitly check cps and wiring to cps. mine had exact same backfire/missfire for a few months till i figured that one out, no thanx to dealer and precicion tune but i still had to pay em 100 bux each before i left (for nothing)

Mine missed at 1800-2000 RPM, hot or cold, and only in that RPM range.
Turned out to be a high resistance Manifold Air Temp sensor and intermittent grounds. another vote for additional HEAVY ground wires from block to firewall and battery negative post to front clip.

Back