• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EnviroTest is at it again.....

The techs at the stations seem to have a lot of decision making power. I used to have a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI. It's an AWD car that came from the factory with a turbo. The tech looked under the hood and told me that they couldn't test my car because it had a turbo. I told him, and his manager that it came like that from the factory (at this point, it was still stock!), but they refused to test it. Took it to the testing station in Highlands Ranch and it passed no problem. *shrug*

I am glad that I am where I am!!!

Took a drive in the GTO to Estes Park today.........

P1011676.jpg

Fawk you EnviroTest.
Fawk you Colorado Dept. of Health and Environment.
Fawk you Denver Emissions Tech Center.
Fawk you Colorado State Patrol VIN Investigations Division.

Since none of you wanna cooperate as government agencies, I send you a single-finger salute! :D

LOL. So now that you are a "resident" of Estes, can I bring up the family to crash at your place on the weekends??:anon:

Edit: then again, your place in Estes looks a hella lot like Littleton...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh heh, yeah, my "Estes Cabin" is pretty far removed from the mountains and the view sucks...... nuthin' but busted up XJ's...... :D

So what do the guys who have H2s do? They have 35'' tires stock. Im sure some of the bigger trucks have bigger tires as well.

That would suck to buy a brand new truck and not be able to smog it.

BTW, I still find the CO smog system funny. Im from CA, and we use the rollers as well. Ive had no trouble doing my '89 with 35s.

Man, every friggin time I go to do emissions lately nothing goes smoothly.....

Took my new-to-me '97 to get the test and then to get plates/registration - the usual drill right? Nope. Keep in mind that the previous owner had the emissions test done in July '09 with no issues.

Mike (Crunch) took his rig as well - we used the 32" tires from the MJ project leaving our 35's at home.

Mike starts worrying because his rig sometimes has a bit of a misfire/rough idle on start up and thinks it'll cause his to fail. Nope, he flies right through - gas cap test and all. I'm feeling pretty good about my upcoming test.......

Mine gets plugged in, the tech sets it up on the dyno, rock shields in place, fan placed and adjusted, sniffer tube hooked up.

First test: Failed. Time for the "Second Chance" run through.

Second Chance: Failed. Computer screen shows "Sample duration exceeded limits". I'm friggin' fit to be tied now thinking I'm gonna have to go through all the B.S. of diagnosing why this rig won't pass..... :mad:

Miracle: Tech decides he should run it through a 3rd time. Dunno why, nor do I care - I was more than willing to let them have it until it passed! And it did pass.........

Here's the issue: The tech drove it VERY differently on this third test. I noted that he was easier on the throttle when accelerating when the computer told him to. He let the arrow on the screen stay yellow a bit longer when running up or slowing down the engine speed to follow the computer program. (Unless you've watched the screen for these tests, you won't get what I'm saying here.....). He's got this serious look of concentration as he's driving the Jeep......

I now am 100% convinced that these Envirotest facilities are a huge scam simply because there's no consistency in how the test results are obtained. Yeah, if I got behind the wheel of a test car and flogged it I have no doubt it'd fail and if I drove it very conservatively it'd pass. I've seen these techs drive 'em where it's bucking and bouncing due to quick punches of the throttle and I've seen them be smooth as silk on the dyno.........

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that the tech tried his best to have it pass..... but why isn't that the case with all the cars???? I've had an XJ go in for a test and it failed the first time and they sent me on my way - no second chance! What a bunch of b.s.

Last edited:
I went through that Envirotest a few months ago, and Mouth Breather met me at the entrance. He squatted down next to my tires for a good 60 seconds, trying to read before popping up and asking me what size the tires were. I told him, "they're 33 inch tall, 10.5 inches wide...JUST LIKE IT'S PRINTED ON THE SIDEWALL."

He looked at me exactly like a deer does just before it goes under the bumper...and then spent another 60 seconds trying to read again. He finally consulted with Knuckle Dragger, and together the two of them got The Stick(tm) and tried to figure out how to use it to determine whether my tires were under the limit or not.

Fortunately for them, the third person in the bay must have been dropped on his head only periodically and kept off a steady diet of lead chips, because he was able to set BOTH of them straight and figure out that the tires were "probably okay." Yeah, those are the words he used. Wow.

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

I went through that Envirotest a few months ago, and Mouth Breather met me at the entrance. He squatted down next to my tires for a good 60 seconds, trying to read before popping up and asking me what size the tires were. I told him, "they're 33 inch tall, 10.5 inches wide...JUST LIKE IT'S PRINTED ON THE SIDEWALL."

He looked at me exactly like a deer does just before it goes under the bumper...and then spent another 60 seconds trying to read again. He finally consulted with Knuckle Dragger, and together the two of them got The Stick(tm) and tried to figure out how to use it to determine whether my tires were under the limit or not.

Fortunately for them, the third person in the bay must have been dropped on his head only periodically and kept off a steady diet of lead chips, because he was able to set BOTH of them straight and figure out that the tires were "probably okay." Yeah, those are the words he used. Wow.

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

In some ways that is funny and others I would want to beat my head against the wall cause I think all of us have been there......................doesn't surprise me one bit..........what do you expect for barely above minimum wage?

Last edited:
Ya know what amazes me is that they 'need' to go through that whole rig-a-ma-role to test your emissions, yet with the miracle of modern technology they have roadside scans that can capture that data as you enter the highway at 50+ mph.

Either way you look at it, at least one of them is a scam. :twak:

Ya know what amazes me is that they 'need' to go through that whole rig-a-ma-role to test your emissions, yet with the miracle of modern technology they have roadside scans that can capture that data as you enter the highway at 50+ mph.

Either way you look at it, at least one of them is a scam. :twak:

That shite only works if people go through it right.............half the time the idiot drivers in front of you freak out and slow down so the damn thing don't work.

I still don't get why they sniff test the 96+ rigs there, while all the do here in Houston is check the computer for error codes. They do the sniffer tests on 95 and older, but not on OBD-II rigs. Here the 96+ is a pass or fail based on the onboard computer data, plus a gas cap test. They also don't use the dyno in the sniff test here if it is 4x4 (which I don't get either).

Im kinda scared for when i have to get mine retested. Yella was talking about not being able to test on aggressive tires.

Other reason I am scared is cause i took it to get it last year and it was completely stock and passed with no problems. since then i have done a lot of work to my rig. I am just hoping i don't have to take it this year... (I thought there was a fingers crossed smilie?)

I thought it was every two years that you had to get your emissions done? Not for my friend. He had to do it again this year.

Hmmm, they told me the OBDII in my Ranger said I was Ok. They hooked up the evac hose, but no sniffer.

I remember standing there with my mouth hanging open and asking the guy: "So if the ECU says it's good, that's all there is too it???" He nodded his head. This is the newest vehicle I've taken for the test, I was in shock.

Back