• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

El Dorado forest updates

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
email I received earlier today:
The Eldorado National Forest is developing an application for Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Cooperative Funds for the upcoming 2013/2014 grant cycle. We are developing a preliminary application to the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division which includes a strong emphasis on trail maintenance and repair, restoration of trails and impacted areas, law enforcement across the four Ranger Districts, printing and distribution of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps, and restoration activities on the Georgetown Ranger District.

We would like to hear your ideas as well, and so we will also host an Open House on February 20 from 4:30 to 7:30 PM to discuss the proposed grant application and to hear your thoughts. This Open House will be held at the Placerville Ranger District conference room, 4260 Eight Mile Road, Camino, CA (exit 54 off of Highway 50 between Placerville and Pollock Pines). You can call (530) 644-2324 or (530) 622-5061 for directions. We hope to see you there.

The grant applications will be posted on the OHMVR website on March 4, 2014. To review the grant applications submitted, click on this link or paste it into your browser:
http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov
or you can find a link on the Eldorado National Forest’s website at
http://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado/
The 30-day public review and comment period for the 2013/2014 Grants and Cooperative Agreement Program begins March 4, 2014, and ends April 7, 2014. This period provides an opportunity for the public to review the preliminary applications submitted to the OHMVR Division for consideration during the current grant cycle. The public may provide comments to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing Charis Parker at [email protected] and copying the OHVMR Division at [email protected]. You may also send written comments, suggestions, or letters of support for the application to Charis Parker, Eldorado National Forest, 100 Forni Road, Placerville, CA 95667.

Charis Parker
Acting Forest Recreation Officer
Eldorado National Forest

Camnio is a hike for a weeknight, especially if its snowing.

anyone want to go?

Last edited:
from me

"…..also, are these funds going to be put towards opening Deer Valley , Strawberry, Barret Lake (just to name a few) Jeep trails again?"

From Charis

"A portion of the funds will go to maintenance and monitoring activities on the trails you mentioned. "

Charis Parker
Eldorado National Forest
530-621-5213

I received the same email. Below is the email I just sent. It would be GREAT if someone could attend this open house and voice our concerns and ideas.

"Ms. Parker,

Thank you for sending the below email. I most likely will be unable to make the drive from Reno to attend the open house but if possible I will try to have someone attend from our organization. If I may I would also like to offer some input via this email.

I am a member of the North American XJ Association (NAXJA) and am President of the Sierra Chapter. The Eldorado National Forest falls within our chapter boundaries and we have been impacted by the closure of the trails in this area. I am happy to see that the ENF is already working on a solution for the Barrett Lake 4WD trail as this trail is important to our members and one that I personally have enjoyed prior to its closure. The other closures that directly affect our members are the Deer Valley Trail, Strawberry 4WD trail, and Richardson Lake 4WD trail.

I would hope that any grant money obtained could be allocated towards the goal of reopening these trails. Undoubtedly the costs of materials, equipment, and personnel, to reconstruct or repair sections of these trails are high. However, because these trails are used by us as well as many other user groups, I am sure that members of our group and others would send volunteers (manpower) needed to assist in whatever manner would be necessary. I have assisted the forest service locally in similar trail improvement / maintenance projects and would love to do so again.

That being said, please place the trails I mentioned above as top priority in receiving grant money and please don’t hesitate to contact me to coordinate dates for any work days where members of our organization could volunteer."

I also sent a email stating that I want the other trails you mentioned considered too.

I cant make it but I would hope that others with a real knowledge of these trails, I have never been on any of them, would attend.

I also sent a email stating that I want the other trails you mentioned considered too.

I cant make it but I would hope that others with a real knowledge of these trails, I have never been on any of them, would attend.

:patriot: I got an answer:
Thank you for your comments. The ENF was approved for a planning grant from last year’s grant cycle to assist the Forest in the design of the corrective actions needed on the trails you mentioned below. A portion of the Ground Operations grant we are applying for this grant cycle will provide funding for maintenance activities. Assistance from volunteers has been vital to our program and we will keep groups such as yours informed of future needs.

Charis Parker
Eldorado National Forest
530-621-5213
:loveu:

As someone who LOVES the Eldorado National Forest, I extend a deep thanks to the Sierra Chapter for your efforts here.

It's not practical for me to attend these meetings/events, but if you do end up planning a work day with the ENF, I will do my best to attend.

Thanks,
Mike

thanks ocean jet!

SO

locally, who is going?

Open House on February 20 from 4:30 to 7:30 PM to discuss the proposed grant application and to hear your thoughts. This Open House will be held at the Placerville Ranger District conference room, 4260 Eight Mile Road, Camino, CA (exit 54 off of Highway 50 between Placerville and Pollock Pines). You can call (530) 644-2324 or (530) 622-5061 for directions. We hope to see you there.

josh?
terrance? we can carpool from my place?

Back