• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock aluminum head in the works

Well, where are all the pictures?

My delivery from Torrance is taking a bit longer today (if they shipped it as they said they were) then expected.

So for a renix and CA smog I am out of luck then , huh? have to delete the EGR and run a 91+ intake and exhaust manifold and convert the throttle body to handle a renix TPS? Or can that get approved by a ref?

Well, where are all the pictures?

My delivery from Torrance is taking a bit longer today (if they shipped it as they said they were) then expected.

Patience is a virtue. I have waited longer then anyone to get this head. According to Summit I was the first. I just got off the phone with Russ. He has received it and is examining it. Their will be pics when he gets time.
Call him if you wish to discuss. All I post is true and I can back it up. Doubters just go away. I am 58 years old and have been at the hop-up game along time. To the idiot that said this must be my first rodeo, Ya right.

Bob
97 Jeep Cherokee Country

LOL

You should have enough experience to know it's idiotic to trust inital ship dates. Manufacturers very rarely meet them.

Anyway, looking froward to seeing the pictures. Hoping Russ turns this into a beast you are happy with.

LOL

You should have enough experience to know it's idiotic to trust inital ship dates. Manufacturers very rarely meet them.

Anyway, looking froward to seeing the pictures. Hoping Russ turns this into a beast you are happy with.

Lol, I know how that feels, been in the retail side of the hobby business long enough to expect a new product to be a month late and not be totally surprised that it gets killed off a year past it's release dated without the item ever hitting the shelves.

LOL

"You should have enough experience to know it's idiotic to trust inital ship dates. Manufacturers very rarely meet them."

When you pay for something up front, with a stated delivery date it sets a level of expectation. If you take the attitude that the date will slip then it really means dates or commitments are nothing. I don't think you would want to be treated like that.

When I ran a business and customers payed up front, we always delivered on time, even if it meant working 18hr. days.

I have done business with Edelbrock for years. When I needed flat heads from them for my old Ford, they delivered on time. So did several other manufacturers. There is a lesson here.

Russ has already started dissecting the head. I think he is enjoying it. A 4.7 stroker from him running an M90 should be a hoot.

Bob

Heads for a flat head Ford are a whole different game though, they don't have to be made with CARB or the EPA in mind, so just not having to deal with either agency alone could make a difference, not to mention they've been making those since the 40's, where the 4.0l head is a 100% new product for them.

Last night I received what I believe was the first head shipped from Edelbrock.

This is a good time to acknowledge Edelbrock for making this commitment in both
time and resources to take on this project. It's with the aftermarket support that
allows us to continue to make improvements.

As with all of Edelbrocks aluminum castings, it's a very well made part partially due to the fact that all their castings are done in house.

My initial assessment of the head is as I expected. Some changes to the OEM head is much improved like the combustion chamber, but in other areas there were just some missed opportunities. For example if they would have put a intake seat with a OD of
just .050 larger, we could have used larger diameter Chevy LS valves rather than being confined to the stock valve sizing.

I'm not aware of anybody have valve cover height clearance issues, but if they would have raised the valve cover surface on the head, it would have resolved the clearance issues we have running aftermarket roller rockers and requiring spacers.
Machining out the push rod hole larger than the lifter would have allowed removing the lifters without taking off the head.

The good news is we do have a head that is better than stock, and maybe some of the changes mentioned can be considered in future production runs.

I welcome any of your thoughts or ideas

Russ

Heads for a flat head Ford are a whole different game though, they don't have to be made with CARB or the EPA in mind, so just not having to deal with either agency alone could make a difference, not to mention they've been making those since the 40's, where the 4.0l head is a 100% new product for them.

I don't think you have ever run a business making statements like that.
If you talk to Edelbrock you will find EPA and CARB certification had nothing to do with delays.

The flatheads I bought from Edelbrock were not standard production pieces. Do you know what assume means?

Lets try to be positive and not knock others down or question their decisions. This forum could be used to exchange valuable information and experiences. Trying to second guess others or put them down is counterproductive.

Bob

Russ, do you see any issues with boring out the push rod holes? Can you machine the head to get new valve seats installed?

Last edited:
Opening up the push rod holes isn't a problem.

Replacing the seats can be done also.
Looks like running a 1.550 exhaust valve in the current seat will be fine.
Turning down a 2.000 dia valve to a 1.975 rather than replacing what
appears to be a 2.000 od seat might be a more cost effective solution.

Is there any practical performance difference between 1.975 and 2.000?

Is there any practical performance difference between 1.975 and 2.000?

Not for 95% of applications.
The cost of removing the seats and making new ones not that beneficial.

You and 4643 are in the 5% group.

:)

i do love the magic that happens before the tach reaches '2'. ;)

Fixed it for me :)

This new head sounds promising, and for those applications like 4643 where it really need to breath, it should make a lot of difference. In my case, I doubt it would matter. Nonetheless, a great new development.

David Bricker / SYR

Fixed it for me :)

This new head sounds promising, and for those applications like 4643 where it really need to breath, it should make a lot of difference. In my case, I doubt it would matter. Nonetheless, a great new development.

David Bricker / SYR

It will be interesting to see how the head works on a Stroker with Eaton blower. Hoping the combination of Water/Meth injection and Heavy Duty Mopar radiator keep things cool.

I am having a Keene-Belle boost-a-pump and boost a spark installed. These things suck a lot of juice which will require a separate fuse panel and power system. Going with Optima red top battery to help things along. I'm lucky the XJ Guru running this project is an electronics expert.

He has 30 years experience working in an aircraft environment. The quality of his work shows it.

Bob

These things suck a lot of juice which will require a separate fuse panel and power system. Going with Optima red top battery to help things along. I'm lucky the XJ Guru running this project is an electronics expert.
You would be better served by going with a larger alternator than a larger battery.

You would be better served by going with a larger alternator than a larger battery.

Especially a red top. Leave the hype at home...

Get sears platinum or go to (2) odyssey's...

Back