• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eat your heart out Bob Villa...my Saturday project.

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
My back yard started the day looking like this:
01-07-07001.jpg

And after some cutting, screwing, nailing, and drinking, it looks like this:
DSCN1469.jpg

Now I just need to paint it, and make some shoes to cover the post anchors.

Fergie

motorcityxj said:
looks like someone stole your lawn ??? jk. Nice work. What kinda dog is that ?
That is Sierra, and she is an English Springer Spaniel/ Border collie mix.

D, landscaping rock has already been ordered...gots to sell this biatch.

You need to get rid of those weeds...

Here's what I use to keep the lawn green.

It sounded weird when I first heard it, but trust me - it works!

====
The Beer Lawn:

Man Invents "Tonic" To Keep Grass Green

One man has come up with an interesting formula that many call a "tonic" for a drought stressed lawn.

Tim Heffron is a self proclaimed lawn tonic expert. "I have the best lawn in the neighborhood. Deep, thick, beautiful turf that stays this way all season. It's greening up real nice." His is always the first lawn to green up in the neighborhood. "Those are fighting words." He gets these great results with no sprinkler system and only a little fertilizer.

"I started using it about five years ago back in Oklahoma, where it's 100 degrees every day, day in and day out." His secret is a formula, a "tonic," made up of common household ingredients. A pop, a beer, a little liquid dishwashing soap, some mouthwash and some household ammonia are all mixed in to a 10 gallon hose end sprayer.

"The pop and the beer are essentially food for your lawn, and the combination of the two will allow the grass, the dead grass in your lawn, help to begin to break down and to compost much quicker." The liquid soap is a wetting agent, helping the formula to penetrate to the roots. The ammonia promotes growth and turns your lawn green, and the mouthwash does something you would never suspect mouthwash would do. It kills the bugs and grubs.

"It essentially messes up their reproductive cycle and keeps them out of

your lawn and makes it look a lot better and leaves it minty fresh." And because it's applied with the hose sprayer, it's a direct shot to your sod. "When you don't have a lot of water, and we're on watering restrictions, this is another way to get the nutrients to your lawn and keep it growing."

It's a half a cup of all the ingredients, with the exception of the the pop and the beer. You pour all of those in, and then says Tim, you too are on your way to the best looking lawn in your neighborhood.

If you want to give the recipe a try, here's what you'll need:

One can of soda, not diet, but regular
One can of beer, not light beer
1/2 cup of liquid dishwashing soap
1/2 cup of mouthwash
1/2 cup of household ammonia
Mix it all in a 10 gallon hose-end sprayer. You'll want to apply it every three weeks. You should mow your lawn late in the evening and then apply the lawn tonic immediately after that.

Wow, and I thought Florida sucks because the houses were sooo close and so much alike!

Ghost said:
Wow, and I thought Florida sucks because the houses were sooo close and so much alike!

No big deal, florida will be under water in another 5 years.... and new orleans will be building their dyke [or is it dike] system up another 10ft.... my wrong, dyke is what they build in sfran....:shocked:

hahaha i think ill stay in connecticut where we bitch its to cold all winter and to hot all summer but atleast i have a yard :) ooo and semi descent grass

Yeah, this kind of stuff is fun for me. I work as a Field Engineer during the week, so all I every see are metal studs and slab on decks.

I like working with this kind of stuff more. It is relaxing, and I get to use my own mind instead of building off of someone else's plans.

It'll get painted to match the house.

And for grass, that is retarded. Anyone in this area that has grass ought to be kicked in the balls for wasting a natural resource...just doesnt make any sense.

And yeah, the houses are close, but for our first house, just out of college, it isnt bad, and the view from the front is amazing, and the Tucson sunsets are beautiful.

JohnJohn said:
Ordering plane ticket and keg...

When can you come to Colorado? Nice work in a day!!
LOL

In about 5 years...The wife was accepted to a UCLA PhD program, so I built the deck to make the house a little more saleable as we are moving in a few months.

Thanks Beej.

How did you attach the header to the house? Did you use those metal joist hangers for the joists? I picked up some hangers today to make the same sort of thing behind my shop for my wood and metal piles. Nothing fancy like yours but same principle. Nice Job!

Back