• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop in K&N mpg increase results?

I noticed nothing in my jeep,corolla,and grand prix. My jeep no longer has a k&n, look inside your airhorn to the throttle body after a day or two in the dust!!

JP magazine did a comparison study (Nov. 2006) and K and N came behind AEM and Airraid in efficiency. They even used an XJ as their test mule .

To sum up the article Quote:

Effiniciency...the golden buzzword. While all the filters tested were very close, the impact on your engine can be huge. These numbers are for a relatively short test with a small amount of dust. Multiply it by10 or 100 to get a rough estimate of how much dust makes it into your engine on a given wheeling trip.

There were 5 filters tested K and N FINISHED LAST

I have used k and n filters.

I would buy a dry AEM filter kit if they made one for an XJ.
I may buy someone elses and substitute the element.
I don't know how much airflow study goes into the tube and filter housing.

You can borrow some from your wife. If you wait a second I'll go get her.

But....you're from Alabamer. Isn't that going to tick off your sister?

You can say that because you live in Flora, Illinois? Population 5,000. Where the per capita income is $15,000. Must be nice to live in the city.:farmer:
:laugh:

Is that really the per capita income for Flora? That has to be old information. The Johnsons moved to town last year. His salary alone at the factory is almost double that.:greensmok I've heard of another guy at the factory that makes a little over $67,000/year.(he's the bigwig though) We're even supposed to get a Walmart soon. We'll be up to three gas stations soon as well.

:laugh:

Is that really the per capita income for Flora? That has to be old information. The Johnsons moved to town last year. His salary alone at the factory is almost double that.:greensmok I've heard of another guy at the factory that makes a little over $67,000/year.(he's the bigwig though) We're even supposed to get a Walmart soon. We'll be up to three gas stations soon as well.

We are in a sad state of affairs when we measure a town's success based on if it has a Walmart or not.

My lil town of scottdale, pa only has 1 stop light. I have a k&n air tube and have never had any problems. I can't tell you if it makes a diff. or not, but i get 18mpg in my 99'

K&N is great for a sports car in an area with minimal dust.
For a jeep, you want a replacable paper element filter.
I keep looking at the size of the ZJ's airbox (same for 4.0 or 5.2) and thinking that it's gotta be doable under the Cherokee hood - and it should flow 50% more at least.

Back