• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Down on power after heat soak.

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Not your typical issue here. This is on my 95 rhd, but it shouldn't matter. The other day was our first 80 degree day and it slightly heat soaked on me earlier in the day. Odd because I usually don't have any issues until it gets near 100. I stopped in the middle of the route for 20 minutes to eat lunch and then it gave me hell re-starting.at first it puttered on 2 or 3 cylinders like it usually does on a heat soak but them it died instead of clearing out. Then it would just crank, sputter, and die. Played with it for probably 5 minutes before I finally got it back going.

Didn't shut it down until I got home but noticed it wasn't running as smooth and was not pulling the hills like usual. Shut it down, started right back up with no issue. I put on a new fuel filter because I've been meaning to do that, no change. Pulled the cap and rotor cleaned off the car on, no change. Still runs fine, shifts correctly but is down 10 to 15 hp from where it was that morning. I'm fairly sure I need new injectors but never seem to have an extra 200 bucks for a good set. Anything else I should look at?

If my car was doing that, I measure the cylinder pressures first. Then I'd pull the valve cover, start the engine and look at the intake & exhaust rocker arms to see if they were moving roughly the same amount. If a couple rocker arms were not deflecting enough, I'd look for collapsed lifters, pushrod issues, worn rockers or worn cam lobes. Good luck on fixing the problem.

Best regards,

CJR

Run a can of BG44k through the fuel to clean out the carbon and the injectors. Not cheap, but well worth it. I run a can every 10K in every vehicle.

Just a thought, I had similar issues and it turned out to be a bad coil. Go figure.

I put some cleaner through it didn't help, the coil is a high output one less than a year old. The no start that originally started this whole deal must of been the pump. It didn't start on me again today, hit the tank and it fired up. I'll put in a new pump and see how it does then but I'm not hopeful, the pressure while running is spec.

Back