• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doorless XJ in Ontario?

Iansel

NAXJA Member #1091
I searched the forums but didn't find anything, I am looking for any info or laws around going doorless in Ontario Canada. I see a lot of doorless XJs in the US, is anyone running doorless in Ontario? Have you had any problems with the police? I just replaced my rockers with a 2x6 rect. tube. I was thinking of going doorless until the end of the summer.

Anyone's experiences would be appreciated.

Ian

Been wondering the same thing myself, asked my buddies that work for the OPP and Ottawa Police, basically it is going to come down the the individual officers discretion, under the HTA, the vehicle must have been originally designed to have the doors removed (likewise with the top etc....) find a stickler traffic weeny and sure you'll get a ticket, but don't do anything stupid and be nice to the officer (wear your seatbelt!!) and you should be fine, why not just fab up a simple tube door?

I had been pulled over once with my old Samurai when I was running doorless. That was not why I was pulled over and the lack of doors was never mentioned by the OPP (Ottawa Police Services? Can't remember which) officer.

r@m

Take it for what it is...my experience as I'm sure it can vary with the area you live in.

I've had my XJ doorless for 5 years now and I keep them off for about 3 months every summer. During that I'm I've been beside many officers at stoplights or on the road and none have ever said anything regarding my lack of doors. I even got pulled over for speeding on my way to work in the morning once and nothing was said about my doors. I should say though that when I have my doors off I always wear my seatbelt, I'm sure not to let anything fly out the side, and as always I don't drive wreckless to attract attention.

I'm not say it's legal....just that I've never been bothered.

Thanks for the replies. I always wear my seatbelt whether I have a door or not. I am planning on building some tube doors whenever I get the time.

Ian

Back