• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doing full width swap what rear axel to use??

okay kool yeah my 8.8 is the one with discs but if i go the 9 inch it had the benifits of no c clip and removable 3rd member , are there any 9 inch rear ends to stay away from ???

ones out of the older vans, they are offset.. my 79 is by 2 inches but not enough to worry me

offst like the 8.8??? cause for some freakin reason my 8.8 makes nois and has been all checked out lol but y the offset is it better????

ranger125 said:
okay kool yeah my 8.8 is the one with discs but if i go the 9 inch it had the benifits of no c clip and removable 3rd member , are there any 9 inch rear ends to stay away from ???

Stay away from the 28 spline 9" axles if you are wanting to use the shafts and carrier. 78-79 bronco and F150 (Not F100) axles are easy to find and a good choice.

sweeeet now all i have to do is find this 9 inch and i will be set thank u for clarifying this cause these axels are all over the place but i never know what to look for so more than 28 spline is good any other things to look for ??

ranger125 said:
offst like the 8.8??? cause for some freakin reason my 8.8 makes nois and has been all checked out lol but y the offset is it better????

No, the offset may cause problems for you..

My 79 is a 31 spline.

The 78-79 axles will be 31 spline (as long as it isn't a F100) and have the big wheel bearings.

But...
If you are wanting to run 9" of lift (per PM), the 9" has a very low pinion, and may cause driveshaft angle (CV joint at T-case maxed out) and pinion oiling problems at that lift height.

Last edited:
okay i can tame it down to 7.5 but thats about it with my bush whacker flares and 37 inch tires , is there anything else that i should be lookin for maybee a 9 inch isnt for me , but i am willing to work with u felahs , and to add the 78/79 f 150 trucks are the only vehicles with the good 9 inch in them ?? and where can a guy find a high pinion rear axel??sorry i am babeling but i am wanting to get an ideah of what i need then i can start hunting thanks fellahs

There are other ford 9" axles out there, but the 78-79 F150s are the most common.

If you stay at 7.5" of lift, and the 8.8 is working at that height (driveshaft doesn't bind up, and pinion bearing isn't making noise due to excessive pinion angle and lack of lubrication) then a 9" should work as it isn't too much lower than the 8.8.

A semi float dana 60 (full float if you are going to 8 lug wheels) has a higher pinion than both the 8.8 and 9, and may be a good option, but is harder to find.

A high pinion axle would have to be made from a ford front dana 44 or 60 that has been re-tubed, or a 9" with a currie or truhi9 center section.

lol i am being hi jacked lol mehh i aint worried hehe but what is the differnce between the 9 inch pibion length some are long some have gaurds like i am not sure which one to use and do u guys think this inverted t steering and 9 inch will work with 7.5 inches of lift??

bump lol i went to the scrap yard today and seen alot of then and i can get one for 100 canadian lol ,but yeah i noticed the pinion length to be different so i am not sure what one to get what should i look for guys ??

Back