• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DO-IT-Yourself Bumpstops

Ricky5

NAXJA Forum User
Using hockey pucks for bump stops. I wasn't sure if this has been done before? I picked up a pack of 12 hockey pucks, drilled holes in the middle, and put a bolt threw the middle. The cool thing about it is that they're the perfect size to slip between the suspension coil. So if you want to increase or decrease the bumpstop you just slide another one in and get a longer bolt.

Easy, peasy, japaneasy.

I got the idea when I was walking around a Dicks sporting goods store. The rubicon express bumpstops are roughly two hockey pucks in size. They even seem to be made out of the same material.

Yep, it is a great idea

Yep, its been done by 1000 people before you

But, thanks anyways!:spin1:

Rather than a bolt, I glue mine together. Take a knife and slice up the flat surfaces a bit. Get a tube of weather strip adhesive, aka gorilla snot, and glue them in. It stays plyable and will not come loose as you compress them.

old_man said:
Rather than a bolt, I glue mine together. Take a knife and slice up the flat surfaces a bit. Get a tube of weather strip adhesive, aka gorilla snot, and glue them in. It stays plyable and will not come loose as you compress them.
That's the way I do it. No drilling is a good thing.:)

My hockey puck bumpstops are pretty worthless.. Part of march's project plans is to find a new solution.

2006-01-17_046.jpg

Cal - It looks like the only way to fix that would be to extend the upper bumpstop and remove half of the hockey pucks. I'll have to see how close I am to having that same problem .....

Yeah, thats on my long term project plan .. or to find a bigger disc to use that fills the coil. Interestingly, I didnt have problems with rubbing. I didn't notice the bumpstops weren't working right until I actually stopped to see if I could remove one or not.

100_1955.jpg

I've extended the rear stops with some flat stock and square stock. I want to extend the front and I like the hocky puck idea but are they simply glued to the mount? Would this not be hard to keep in place?

old_man said:

I tried that, and mine would not stay on. I think my spring would pry them off? Ended up getting a piece of aluminum bar and cutting them to size and bolting them on. Has worked perfectly.... so far!

P.S. It REALLY SUCKED digging the glue out of the Hole!

RickyN29 said:
What the hell?!?!?!? 10 leafs in your pack? I might be crazy, but isn't that a lot??!?!?

Higher end leaf packs have more thinner leafs. I believe the old ORGS leaves were 11 to a pack. They take more weight and abuse while staying flexier.

jrowell said:
I tried that, and mine would not stay on. I think my spring would pry them off? Ended up getting a piece of aluminum bar and cutting them to size and bolting them on. Has worked perfectly.... so far!

P.S. It REALLY SUCKED digging the glue out of the Hole!

Mine stay together great with some blue RTV.

Back