• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do all Jeeps suck or just mine

We all must understand that the XJ was, is, and always has been a BUDGET 4x4. That being said there were compromises in its design to fit a certain price point in the market.

There are literally dozens of things on them that are of lower quality than we would like. Lousy service brakes, useless parking brake, Dana 35 rear axle, crappy electrical system, seats that tear, floorboards that rust, exhaust systems that crack, death wobbles, cracked dashboards, mystery bangs/rattles/shimmys, bad seat belts, little safety features etc. are just a few of these issues.

But most of us love the XJ anyway because everything that is important is actually quite good: 4.0 engine, AW4 tranny, NP231 transfer case.

If we wanted true quality we really ought to be driving a Land Rover or Mercedes Benz G Class. But those vehicles are probably beyond the means of the majority of people who use this forum, and whoever would want to off road a vehicle that expensive is beyond me......
Talk to any Land Rover owner from 5+ yrs ago...they hate all the things that go bad on theirs. As far as most of you list, a lot of it is just a side effect of the newest one being 8 yrs old already. Seats tear, doesn't matter what you drive. The brakes are actually pretty good one mine, handling was very secure when I first got it, still fairly tight even with the lift, death comes from being modified with improper parts/settings. my electrical system has given me no problems. One window doesn't work, but that's been known to happen in much more expensive vehicles (my uncle's Excursion for example, lost all 4 together), the power locks don't unlock the back doors very often anymore, but I've splashed so much water and mud up into my Jeep (including the time I hydrolocked it and sat there accumulating water for close to an hour :D). I'd have to say I'm very happy with the quality and reliability of my Jeep. I've had it for 5 yrs and 60k miles, and it's been parked since July on account of not having money to fix an emissions issue. That will be taken care of this weekend though :party:

Anyways, back to the OP: I'm gonna jump on the throttle position sensor bandwagon. When mine went bad, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd either. I could get all the way up 45-55 and it would hold second. Had to drive to work like that...good thing that was only 3 miles and at a Volvo dealership. I had them order me a new one and fixed it after work then drove home.

Chrysler did a huge job cleaning up quality issues on Jeep - by '92 it was half the trouble. the '90 is still a hold over with Toledo getting direction from Renault and parts from European designers.

Makes it unique - and in some areas, actually easier to work on than later ones. OBD I and II injection systems are straightforward and restrictive, later rear ends and transmissions nothing to write home about, and deciphering coil on plug driveability issues can leave you scratching your head.

In either case, a good volt ohm meter is nearly mandatory. Once a problem has been diagnosed to the point socket wrenches are necessary, then the easy work starts.

'90's are unique, but under the veneer of wierd, better.

how a bout a inproperly adjusted break light switch??? isnt it also part of the cruse and trans control??

There is no adjustment, but thanks anyway

I think the biggest problem is I know nothing about them so its like rocket science at the moment. I am used to carbed trucks so all this electronic crap is killing me.

There is no doubt I will get it fixed, but till then it still sucks.LOL

The frustration of trying to fix something only to have something else go wrong before it even left the driveway is major. Someone mentioned it being 20 years old. I laugh at that, it is almost the newest vehicle I own, since I drive a company truck.

Once I start reading the FSM I am sure it will get easier.

I will get back after I check and replace\re-adjust the TPS

Thanks all
Chris

OKay, double checked the power to the TCU it is good. Checked the TPS today also, but came up with a question

Ref volts 4.7
output volts 3.93

By everything I have read the output volts should be 3.76
I can not adjust the TPS any lower does this mean it needs replaced? And would the voltage bing that close effect the tranny?

key on, engine off, your feed voltage should be 5 volts give or take ten percent, and your output voltage should be between .8 volts to 1 volt with the throttle plate at idle position. wide open throttle should give you 4.9 to 5 volts. if this is not what you have, then the tps is bad. I don't think you can get up to even 2 volts at idle even at the extreme of misadjustment on that particular tps.

key on, engine off, your feed voltage should be 5 volts give or take ten percent, and your output voltage should be between .8 volts to 1 volt with the throttle plate at idle position. wide open throttle should give you 4.9 to 5 volts. if this is not what you have, then the tps is bad. I don't think you can get up to even 2 volts at idle even at the extreme of misadjustment on that particular tps.

That is the opposite of everything I have read

Just on GP's I changed the TPS out.

4.7 volts reference
3.77 output when adjusted

Now it runs even worse, but I have not tuned it yet either.

Tranny still will not shift

Disconnected the TCU and shifted manually and the tranny works great (other than going from 1st to 3rd)

Disconnected the battery again connected the TCU reconnected the battery started it up idles rougher than before still does not shift

Going shortly to get stuff for tune up but still have shifting problem

Re: XJ stays in 2nd - TPS replaced

The ground on the TPS seems to be screwed up. I put the meter from the ground on the TPS and the neg on battery and got 13.5m ohms

I think a membership to this forum should be mandatory if you own a Cherokee. I just cant see anybody ever fixing problems like these without help from other friendly Jeepers.

Added ground on TPS got it down to less than 1 ohm
Tuned the HEEP up and it runs much better but still no shifting

I checked the power at the TCU harness just in case and it is getting power

Am I at the piont of getting another TCU from the JY?

mabe its not getting power to the TCU.I think I read some where on here theres a inline fuse that is for the TCU.I cant remember where it is. Check for power at the TCU I dont know what pins are susposto have power or ground but sone one on here might

Last edited:
Anyone know if the speed sensor goes to the TCU first or to the speedo first or the ECU? Or does it go to all at the same time. I was reading that the TCU gets a signal from the TPS (which is good), speed sensor (speedo works) and the NSS which seems to be working. I am running out of things to check on this thing.

Is there a way to check the tranny electrical components?

Re: shifting problem

On the wiring diagram it shows a cruise/tranny switch. Is this different from the brake switch?

Jeeps are not bad. Something wasnt done right to maintain yours buy the first owners. Mine is 352,000 and all i have had to do is an alternator and starter.

The brake problem? Booster after booster? I have never installed one because i heared it takes a special tool to aline and put it in properly. Not sure if this applise but was this done.

Your jeep is fine, you just have to fix other peoples screw ups. Its not jeeps falt.

Good luck.

Re: shifting problem

On the wiring diagram it shows a cruise/tranny switch. Is this different from the brake switch?

cruise/transmission switch is the brake lamp switch. It contains a circuit that interrupts power to the cruise control (where equipped) when you put your foot on the brake (for obvious reasons)

Re: speed sensor problem

Well found the cruise/tranny switch. It is not the brake switch it is actually higher on the pedal. Got it working properly. Finished testing all the pins on the TCU plug and may have found the problem.

I am not getting an input from the speed sensor.

Where is that!

According to the wiring diagrams for the TCU it is in the tranny.
According to the FSM it is on the tranny bell housing, but feeds the ECU not the TCU.

So more research is needed.

Yeah, it's somewhere in the tranny or t-case. When we had the drive shaft off to do the SYE, put it in gear and the output shaft would spin and the speedometer read 15mph.

Back