• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt cheap XJ OBD-II engine monitoring with your smart phone

Why is the cable so long on the Kiwi? Do you leave it plugged in for weeks at a time to gather long term statistics? Where do you coil all the extra cable? Is the cable meant as an advantage for signal strength if you're observing live stats from outside the vehicle?

The OBDLink MX advertises no drain on battery if left plugged in, is that a problem with the other units, I haven't heard anyone mention it? I also like that the OBDLink MX can get firmware updates in the future.

The kiwi turns off after awhile. When you start the jeep it kicks back on. As far as cable length. Could just be different designs. I know I was having problems with the else cheapo hanging enough strength to reach my phone. With the kiwi I have the cable laying over the back of the steering wheel (for now) so it's a lot closer. No strength issues.

Haha, yeah maybe suggesting it required a "coil" was taking it a bit far. But check it out, this looks so sleek, I can't help but be attracted to it!

OBD2compact2.PNG

OBD2compact.PNG

I think the cable must be to aide in one of the other features the Kiwi has which is connectivitiy to additional and more sensitive instrumentation?

OBD2coil2.PNG

OBD2coil.PNG

Hmm. That could be. When I bought the el cheapo I did like the way it tucked up under the dash however....on my Toyota the plug faces down instead of flat like a jeep. The kiwi was less intrusive there.

..and Kiwi says the '2' version has a shorter cable.

Good to know on the computer 'glitches'. Even better reason to have the OBDII setup to clear them.

Fwiw, I bought a ~3" extension cable that is 90deg at the connector end. This way I can route the other end of the cable up to the console area and keep the port under the dash "clean".

Maybe this is the idea behind the long cables?

Just an update.

P0122 TPS Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Low
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit (PRNDL Input)
that sounds like nasty NSS.

Why is the cable so long on the Kiwi? Do you leave it plugged in for weeks at a time to gather long term statistics? Where do you coil all the extra cable? Is the cable meant as an advantage for signal strength if you're observing live stats from outside the vehicle?

The OBDLink MX advertises no drain on battery if left plugged in, is that a problem with the other units, I haven't heard anyone mention it? I also like that the OBDLink MX can get firmware updates in the future.
The old kiwi did not turn off, it had a switch. Current draw is next to nothing though. I've left it plugged in for weeks and it's not killed the battery or anything.
The kiwi 2 version auto sleeps I guess.
They also provide firmware.
I like having the cable. Allows me to get the bulk of the box out from under the dash. A car like my honda would have that stick style one right above my knee just begging for me to break off the connector.

I just bought an ELM327 reader (WiFi flavor) and downloaded the DashCommand app to my iPhone. But for some reason I've been unable to connect the reader to the phone.

With WiFi enabled on on the phone, the ELM327 reader plugged into the OBDII port on the Jeep, and the engine running, I do not find any available network in the phone settings identified as DashCommand or anything similar. (I'm doing this is the parking garage of a large apartment building, so I do see a very large list of my neighbors' locked networks.)

According to the "Connection Help" screen on the DC app, a static IP may be required. Really? I've spent just a couple of minutes online researching static IPs and I'm hoping the solution to my connection issue will be somewhat simpler.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I do not find any available network in the phone settings identified as DashCommand or anything similar.

The wifi network created by the ELM device should be named in the manual that came with the device. It will not indicate Dash Command.

Once your phone is on the ELM's wifi network, the DashCommand software will try to find the ELM device by IP address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will not indicate Dash Command.

Of course. That was brain fart.

The manual for the ELM327 reader says that the network will be WiFiOBD, which makes sense. But the fact remains that the reader doesn't seem to be sending any signal that my iPhone is picking up.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with the OBDII port on the Jeep. I wish I had a meter with which to test it. Oh well. I'll press on and figure it out.

Of course. That was brain fart.

The manual for the ELM327 reader says that the network will be WiFiOBD, which makes sense. But the fact remains that the reader doesn't seem to be sending any signal that my iPhone is picking up.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with the OBDII port on the Jeep. I wish I had a meter with which to test it. Oh well. I'll press on and figure it out.
Probably more iPhail fault than anything else.
An android tab or phone should work better, can use BT obd apparatus and the Torque app is awesome.

Probably more iPhail fault than anything else.

I tested your hypothesis by trying to connect my iPad tablet, and got the same result: neither of my Apple devices is able to detect any WiFi signal from the ELM327 reader. So the problem must be either with the reader or with the OBDII port, I think.

Another clue is that when I turn on the ignition, none of the colorful lights on the reader wink and blink the way the do in the various YouTube videos I've been watching while trying to figure this out.

Ya the iPhone one kinda sucks. I got a elm unit also, it'll show it in the wifi and connect to it but in the app it's a hit or miss connecting to the app. I typically unplug it, replug it and try again but make sure I have no other app open and it usually finally connects

I've been using ELM327s wifis with my iphone for years. The first one died after two years. At first I paid $6 for Enginelink and then spent $20 for NovaScan(I highly recommend it), so for $30 you have an awesome obd2 scanner. You have to go in the settings of the app you use and set the ip to the address that your elm327's instructions say.

You should be able to borrow a code reader at any AutoZone and test your port. I wouldn't be surprised if your ELM is DOA.

The adapter I picked works on Bluetooth.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back