• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Directions to Hermit Valley Campground

The campground is first-come, first-served with 25 sites. There is no fee for the campsite either. The campground is a large fairly open and flat area with plenty of room for a few rigs per site.

I know the Forest Service calls it a campground and they do have the two pit toilets, but other than a few fire rings here and there its hardly what is normally considered a "campground". Its more like a staging area that you can camp at, at least in my opinion.

And I think that if everyone comes that says they will come, space will be an issue. Hopefully not to many other people are planning on staying there that weekend. Show up early...

Also keep in mind, there are no trash dumpsters. What you bring, you take home.

Goatman said:
I'll plan on getting there Thurs evening with the camper towing the Jeep. How long a drive from Stockton? Looks like it could be around 2 hrs?
Be carefull Richard. Like Josh said there are some very tight turns coming from the West just before the campground. That section of Hwy 4 is essentially a one-lane road and people fly through it like its a major freeway. I have trailered my Jeep on a part of it, and it scares me.

I'll take it slow. I've towed over from the east, over Monitor Pass and then through Markleeville, it can't be as bad as that. :)

Its the other drivers I worry about flying around blind curves and if they are not far to the right and come across a wide trailer bad things could happen. Its been a long time since I went over Monitor Pass. I forget if its as twisty and narrow as Ebbetts (hwy 4).

From stockton, it seems like nothing. There's some good places to fuel up in Lodi I think, and it smooth sailing from there.

And like Eric said, hwy 4 is tiny up past Bear Valley.

Re: Directions to Hernit Valley Campground

This has been covered . . .

It is fine past Bear Valley, it is not untill Alpine Lake that it gets down to one lane.

Yeah, on highway 4 after the entrance to Slick Rock and Alpine Lake is a windy, twisty, tight, little road. It drops down to one lane in areas and for most of the distance there is no yellow center dividing line. I have seen RV’s on that road, just not a area to drive fast, but it has some great views!

Here is a quick map of the skinny part of highway 4 and the start of the two trails and the Hermit Valley Campground:

SlickRockMap.jpg

The Hermit Valley Campground is just off to the rightside of the road when heading east on 4, the camp sites are less then a few hundred feet off the road and easy to get RV's and trailers in and out. (At least it was last time I was there)

Back