• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff guards or no diff guards

y2kxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was in some deep ruts last weekend and of coarse dug my diffs in the mud and some rocks alot. I was wondering if it's a good investment to get some guards. I don't like buying stuff I don't need so what do you think? I imagine the rear would be fine since it drags on the pinion side which is thick. The front is what I'm worried about. Are the guards that bolt on over the cover worth it or should I get something that wraps around the pumpkin like the Nth degree ones?

come to think of it that Nth degree skid is for the rear only and not offered for my application of the 8.25.
But god has anyone looked at their stuff? It's awesome! They're taking suspension to a whole new level. Too bad no xj stuff though. Check out that "Zig Zag" shackle hanger!
www.nthdegreemobility.com

yea.. 9th degree stuff is quality made.. the problem with it is it hands down a lil low (diff protection)
and yes... get those guards.... the rear you should also get... you ever peel a diff cover off or back an inch? it sucks... get a guard and be done with it...

actually they USED to make a ZZ shackle hanger for the XJ.. they stopped though... they werent getting the results out of the XJ hanger that they were getting out of the CJ and YJ hangers... ??? .... so umm ya call em if you want it.. im sure theres 1 or 2 floating around somewhere in someones shop/store....

I wouldn't worry too much of scraping the bottom of your housing I would be more concerned about bashing a rock into the ring gear and doing some damage to that. The cover on my Dana 44 is paper thin and I know that some may say why get one on the rear but I think that it is good insurance and I have hit the rear a couple of times. I ordered them from www.mad4wd.com

For the 8.25 I am using the Crane cover. Its pricey but has no lip at all and is very very stout, perfect in my opinion for the rock dragging 8.25 diff.

Sprink669 said:
I wouldn't worry too much of scraping the bottom of your housing I would be more concerned about bashing a rock into the ring gear and doing some damage to that. The cover on my Dana 44 is paper thin and I know that some may say why get one on the rear but I think that it is good insurance and I have hit the rear a couple of times. I ordered them from www.mad4wd.com
Nice I think those "rock it" gliders are for me. They won't protect the cover as much but they'll let me "glide" over crap. Since I see no real rockcrawling I think these would be up my alley. They would prolly keep me from sticking and losing traction in some of those muddy ruts. That's the kind of protection I was looking for. Thanks.

i run the PSC rock ring in the front and it works great, i've grinded that thing on tons of rocks and since the bolts are recessed, its still easy to take on and off to change fluid. i also run the crane high clearance 8.25 in the rear, i like the looks, and it too has gotten slammed a few times! IMO they're both kinda pricey, but definitely stout and worth it.

brandon

Crane all the way, no lip to catch and very stout, you get what you pay for

I recomend diff guards, both front and back. I've hit my rear diff cover hard enough to push the cover into the ring gear, and my brother has done the same thing. Both where D44's.

If you don't feel like buying a set, just get some steel, and form it using any number of methods, and weld it right to the stock cover.

you don't need it to be a secondary piece.

a reinforced welded stock diff cover is a great option

Beezil said:
If you don't feel like buying a set, just get some steel, and form it using any number of methods, and weld it right to the stock cover.

you don't need it to be a secondary piece.

a reinforced welded stock diff cover is a great option

What do you recommend for thickness of the steel?

Forming, BFH and a bench vise?

How 'bout a watermelon and a sledge hammer? Gallagher is gonna fab mine...

red91inWA said:
You must have grey hair if you remember him... he's a "brother" isn't he ?

Reruns, my friend, reruns. My hair is thinning, but not grey. I wasn't aware of his membership status, that's new to me.

Back