• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dieseling type noise/lower end noise

XJNewbeeA&PMech said:
My 95, 131k, has the same knock sound at idle but goes away around 5 MPH. I just bought this a few weeks ago for my daughter and to me it sounded like a rod bearing. I took the old filter and cut it open and checked the filiment for metal and found nothing. I'm thinking its the wrist pin making the noise. I will however be checking the flex plate during my next trip under the vehicle. I just spent the better part of 3 weeks fixing it up and putting a lift on it so it will be a few weeks before I get under it again. I'm getting to old for this Shi@.

Look at my post in the OEM discussion forum. There are 4 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate. ALL of mine were loose. Tightened them up and the loud knocking sound has gone, and all Ihave left is the little rattle sound I've had since the day I got this 95 a year ago. I suspect the exhaust near the rear. I'll check again the next day I hear it when im not in traffic...Mine has 233K miles on it...

95RedCherokee said:
You should change your oil ASAP and again within 1000 miles if you drowned the motor with water. If water is in your bottom end, it can rust your bearings.
That was the very first thing I did. I didn't find any trace of water in there, -but I changed it anyway and will do it again in another week or so.

Now the rear diff, -that was another story......

my 92 w/ 196k on it sounds like a diesel at idle. Revs go to 1500 and it sounds like your typical 4.0L. My guess is flexplate or piston slap. Oil pressure is good and runs top notch. Not too concerned with it.

Now my vw on the other hand, forged wiseco pistons and a set of cams, sounds like crap until it warms up. People always ask why it sounds so bad for a freshly rebuild engine.

Yea, the Wiseco's have a high silicon content that cause a lot of piston slap and expansion during warm up. This also causes a lilttle oil consumption before it warms up...

Ive got a nice tackety sound on my 2.5L 298xxx km's. Some lifter noise, a bit of Piston Slap. Seriously, with no major motor work with exception of a head gasket at 288,898 km's and regular oil changes, its just a little noisey. Helps me shift :)

Back