• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I get ripped off by this mechanic?

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, looking at a mechanics bill in disgust right now and wondering if I should be.

Situation: AX-15 tranny swapped to a "new"er one from a junkyard.

Cost: $650 for labor to replace tranny and swap clutch (also needed) and swap tranny, transfer, and gear fluids.

Is that a decent price or am I getting hosed?
progress.gif

How many hours of labor and how much per hour did the shop charge?

It might sound high, but shop rates are high and there are also new fluids put in.

Off the cuff, it probably not that far off the mark.

Nothing wrong .. That's a pretty good deal for swap and new clutch and fluids .. I just paid 200 just for clutch plus the cost of the clutch

After the work is done is not when you start worrying about how long or how much. If you turned him loose without getting a quote, you're asking for it.

After the work is done is not when you start worrying about how long or how much. If you turned him loose without getting a quote, you're asking for it.

Absolutely correct!

FYI--when you go to a shop inquire if they are "Flat Rate". A flat rate shop is going to quote from the flat rate manual and then charge you that amount of labor, regardless of the time the job takes. What that means is if the book says ten hours, and it takes the guy five hours to do the job, you are going to pay for ten hours, not five. Legal and most common method in the majority of shops. Some shops will check the manual, and then quote you what they believe is a closer figure on actual time. Markup on parts can range from about 35 to 65 percent, depending on the shop's cost.

I also do my estimates off book time. However if it's something I've done a million times and can do it in far less than book time, I will often lower the estimate accordingly.

It just depends on who you're dealing with.

The post said $650 for the labor only.

If you are delivering the replacement tranny to them, it seems a bit high. An experienced mechanic with the right tools can swap a tranny in a couple of hours. An inexperienced mechanic can take all day.

Nothing wrong .. That's a pretty good deal for swap and new clutch and fluids .. I just paid 200 just for clutch plus the cost of the clutch

So, how more labor required to install a different trans than came out?
Seems to me 87_trailrig got a deal, or JBCherokee didn't??

I think you got a good price for labor.

It doesn't matter what I go to a mechanic for I always feel like I'm getting ripped off, I try to avoid it at all costs.

How do you feel about lawyers? Doctors? Insurance agents? Plumbers--well, at least when a plumber is done you can see the results.

they all fall into the same call as far as I'm concerned. Overpaid and usually not of much use to me as a whole.

What do you call 10,000 insurance agents, with their doctors, and their lawyers, sitting at the bottom of the ocean? A good start! :roflmao:

The 2 local shops here charge a flat $600 to remove and replace (the same transmission). That does not include any work on the tranny, modification, fluids or parts.

Back