• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Tailbone bumper

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
So I plan on buying the detours tailbone bumper tire carrier combo
i have been looking at bumpers for a long time now and i looked at webdogs and do like his but i have been talked into the detours one by a number of people
it is clean and i like that it reuses the stock skin and fills it all in nicely
i will most likely be buying it friday (payday lol) or early next week
just thought id get any complaints comments or remarks from you guys if i could
thanks

Without a doubt the most complete and stout mounting system I have seen on any full rear bumper, let alone a tire carrier. quality is top notch too, just be prepared to wait a while for it. It took 8 weeks when I ordered mine.

I have had mine for about 6 months and about ten trail runs. It still solid with minimal tire movement.

Josh

.....with minimal tire movement.

I forgot about that....

Because the CG of the spare is up above the swing out, there is a little bit of movement front to back.

This causes the latch section to squeak, which can get annoying.

I put a piece of leather behind the swingout at the latch as a temporary solution.

good to know guys thanks.
i will be sure to get an estimate on the time for sure 8 weeks is a little long to wait lol but ill figure it out
mudbutt ill have to find a solution to that but thanks for the tip

Last time I checked their website (a few days ago) it said the tailbone was temporarily unavailable. You might be in for a longer wait than 8 weeks.

Last time I checked their website (a few days ago) it said the tailbone was temporarily unavailable. You might be in for a longer wait than 8 weeks.

Hmmmmm...

"This product is temporarily unavailable. Check back soon!"

They are a vendor here.... But,

"Last Activity: 07-16-2010"
http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=8600

Hope all is well.... Perhaps give them a call?

i already talked to them they said to ignore their website a few of the products do that when you go to them so they said i would be fine but yeah i did the same thing i was like um what but all is well

I wonder if they've made any updates to their hinge/latch system to help with the rattles since the first models were produced. Anyone know how the rattle compares to other companies swing out tire carriers? Isn't a little rattle the nature of the beast though?

I wonder if they've made any updates to their hinge/latch system to help with the rattles since the first models were produced. Anyone know how the rattle compares to other companies swing out tire carriers? Isn't a little rattle the nature of the beast though?

I have ZERO rattles. Just a minor squeak. You would not hear it at all if the radio volume was anything above 6.

It was just the latching set-up. It's metal to metal. Like I said, I just slipped a piece of leather in there for now and the squeak is gone. It's a temporary solution, but right now I've got other things that need attention.

Just bought my detours tailbone bumper and i am very pleased with the customer service
Mark is a very nice guy and even though it will take a little bit of time to get it it seems to be well worth it
thanks for the input guys

i plan on getting this setup too. so id recommend it. ive got mark making my shock relocators right now. should ship out early next week. i say go for it too.

Also, if anyone has a straight-on side shot that shows the bumper and carrier, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I have a Detours Slimline, but it's the same latch set-up. I use a piece of adhesive backed "gripper" which I bought a Lowe's. It's intended use is to make padded feet for the bottom of furniture legs. It's a high density foam about 1/4" thick and works great to prevent squeaks and rattles without introducing a bunch of slop into the system. Just cut out about a 2"x2" square and stick it to the area where the swing arm contacts the mount. Here's a link:

I still have one of the original tailbone prototypes on my XJ. It's been on there for 3 1/2 years (May 2007). When we put it on at Detours, he told me to make sure the latch is adjusted TIGHT. I've done that, and I don't have any rattling or squeaks.

Yes it's tilted.

Here's the only decent side pic I have on my laptop. This is on Soda Dry Lake near Zzyzx Road.

v

Thanks, exactly what I wanted.
The way yours is tilted looks way better than vertical, in my opinion.

here is another side shot without the tilt:

jeepI.jpg

I know this is a few months old, but I am really considering the Tailbone, so I had a quick question.....anyone have an approximate weight on the Tailbone? I did not see it listed on the website.

Thanks,

JOhn

I'd say around 60-70 lbs total?

I've never had a problem with the latch squeaking in the 1.5 yrs I've had it. Only issue is after running a 35" tire for about 6 months, the hinge isn't working that well anymore. I might have some dirt in it since I've taken it off a few times, but I think I'm gonna have to fab up a new hinge somehow that's in double shear with actual bearings.

Still a great base concept for everything up to a 33" tire.

Back