• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Valley Trip Feb 4-6, 2004

wolfheartak

NAXJA Member #715
Death Valley – February 4,5,6

Requirements:
Regular NAXJA requirements: Current insurance and registration, Tow hooks front and rear, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher, Tow Strap (No metal hooks), Secure Battery Tray, spare tire with jack and lug wrench, seat belts for all passengers
Also: 5 gallons extra gas is required, but I recommend 10, Working 4wd, Full Size Spare
Recommended: CB Radio

Description:
Most trails are flat dirt road, might be washboards. Easy (2wd ok) All roads are suitable for a stock vehicle with four-wheel-drive.

Exceptions:
-Lippencott Mine Road is steep shelf road with loose rocks with some narrow washed out sections.
-Steel Pass/Dedekera Canyon has a short section of washed out shelf road. Farther along there is some optional rocky sections, but there are bypassed suitable for a stock XJ.

Where we’re going:

*** All roads traveled subject to change due to weather and stage of repair due to recent flooding in most of the park as well as the possibility of snow.

*** F.Y.I. We are staying at the Saline Valley warm springs and there are hot tubs and showers. The Warm Springs are known for being a clothing optional place. Please bring a bathing suit if you prefer, don’t worry, you won’t be the only one. If your kids are coming and there’s some explaining to do, please do so before you’re caught off guard. It’s not a nudist colony, but please be aware, and don’t say I didn’t tell you.

*** This trip it not accessible by motorhome. Please make sure you’re prepared for dry camping. To my knowledge no potable water is available at the campground

Friday Feb 4th:
-Start: (We will be starting in Baker and meeting at the 76 gas station on the corner of the 127 and Baker Road)
-127/Harry Wade Road
-Ibex Dunes/Saratoga Springs
-West Side Road South (Badwater Basin, Eagle Borax Works)
-190 North/Artist’s Drive
-Hwy 190 to Saline Valley Road and the Warm Springs.

Saturday Feb 5th:
-North through Steel Pass and Dedekera Canyon
-Eureka Dunes
-Big Pine Road/Joshua Flats
-Saline Valley back to Springs

Sunday Feb 6th:
-Saline Valley Road
-Lippencott Mine Road North
-Racetrack/Teakettle Junction
-Ubehebe Crater
-Home

Other Information:

*** We will be on CB Channel 4, and if there’s too much traffic we will move to 14, then 24, then 34 if need be.

*** There is a vehicle entrance fee of $10.00 to access the park.

*** The vehicle limit will be 35, so please let me know if you are going to be coming for sure. If you’re a maybe, please let me know and then as soon as you know one way or the other.

*** For those that will be unable to join us until Saturday night, let me know. If there is anyone who needs it, I will meet you in Olancha at the Texaco and show you the way in - don’t worry, I don’t mind at all. Again if anyone wants to get there later, let me know. I will only meet people in Olancha if it’s needed and I know about it ahead of time. If your good with a GPS we can give you waypoints and you can play connect the dots to get to the Warm Springs (That’s how we found them the first time).

*** I’ll post more info as it gets closer and becomes available once we get back from the pre-run sometime in January.

Please PM or email me if you want more info. [email protected]

Check out our pics from trip in October with the Lost KJ West club: www.gotgroceries.net

And one more thing, we'll be meeting in Baker at 8am and leaving BY 8:30. In know how we normally are, but if we don't leave early friday will be a long, long day.

All that junk in that first post and I forgot that, go figure...

-Marisha

Michaelle and I are coming. Waypoints would be appreciated so that I could load them in ahead of time.

Did you buy that map of Death Valley locally or is it only available inside the park? I'd like to get a copy before the trip.

Andy Steiner said:
Michaelle and I are coming. Waypoints would be appreciated so that I could load them in ahead of time.

Did you buy that map of Death Valley locally or is it only available inside the park? I'd like to get a copy before the trip.

We are trying to find the waypoints, they're buried somewhere... but we will for sure have some after the pre-run if we don't have the old ones.

I got the National Geographic map at REI, and it's the best one I've found so far.

-Marisha

I sure hope so. I'll have to check and see if that's a weekend I have my kids. But for DV, I may just leave them with my eXwife. (That's kind of the same as going to Death Valley - but different! :flame: )

bburge

LiquidOps said:
We're in so far....

gonna depend if I can get work off or not, but sounds awesome to me :-D

If you can only make it for saturday and sunday it's worth it (Right Clint? :) ) If you are not comfortable finding your way in I am willing to meet people in Olancha Friday night about 10ish to get those people to the springs. Or we'll get the waypoints and you can play connect the dots GPS style-that's how we got ther the first time, in the dark too.

Hope you can make it!

-Marisha

Ok here are GPS points/directions to get to the Saline Valley Warm Springs, some photo links, and photos why you want to go.

1) Turn right from highway 395 N to highway 190 E (N36.28228 W118.00623)
2) Turn right at highway190/136 intersection (N36.42993 W117.82446)
3) Turn left onto the dirt/poorly kept asphalt road - Saline Valley Road (N36.36400 W117.62596)
4) Keeping right at (N36.42946 W117.63942)
5) Keep to the right at (N36.46729 W117.62686)
6) Turn left at / around, Grapevine Canyon (N36.52686 W117.54702)
7) Stay straight at (N36.61999 W117.64883)
8) Slight left at (N36.74644 W117.85727)
9) Look for the turnoff to the right (Steel Pass), Turn right at (N36.77811 W117.87972)
10) Look for sign metal / rocks, road winds left just past (N36.78319 W117.80344)
11) Lower Saline Valley Warm Springs at / around (N36.80489 W117.77417

http://www.fototime.com/inv/50F8A143CC56FD5
http://www.fototime.com/inv/38AB40A748D0743
http://www.gotgroceries.net/LOSTKJsinDeathValley/index.htm
http://www.gotgroceries.net/Saline Warm Springs/index.htm

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

085.jpg

080.jpg

I will be going unless something major comes up. I should be able to go for the whole 3 days. What's the recommended items to bring. Do I need a tent or is outside ok. Bring a stove or are campfires allowed. Gimme the 411 please!

This will be a great trip. DV is an outstanding place to get AWAY from the crowds and out in the middle of now where. The trails are easy but the views are just unreal. Matter of fact...I would go just for the views even if it was just a dirt road to get there...Camp fires are OK in the area we will be camping. Tents are a very good thing.. Looking forward to making this trip. later...Clint

ryurabbit said:
I will be going unless something major comes up. I should be able to go for the whole 3 days. What's the recommended items to bring. Do I need a tent or is outside ok. Bring a stove or are campfires allowed. Gimme the 411 please!

I would recommend warm clothes because it gets nippy at night, and the wind can pick up pretty good. Unless you want to sleep in your jeep (I wouldn't sleep outside it can be windy and unless you have a good mummy bag you'll get cold), bring a tent w/ good stakes and a BFH. The ground is really rocky and can be a pain to get the tent in right.

Bring a stove to cook, but there is a campfire ring out there we can use, so wood would be good too.

EXTRA GAS! I am requiring 5 gal, but I recommend 10 to be on the safe side.

FULL SIZE SPARE! The wash board can do a number an a tire that's losing air.

We are staying at the Saline Valley warm springs and there are hot tubs and showers. The tubs are clothing optional, but bring a suit if your more comfortable that way. The showers are outside, but off in a corner w/ the bushes and fed by the spring water.

Other than that, just whatever for a 3 day trip. Let me know if you have anyother questions I can answer. We will be driving through Furnace Creek and Panamint Valley where there are mini marts and gas if you forget anything.

-Marisha

wolfheartak said:
EXTRA GAS! I am requiring 5 gal, but I recommend 10 to be on the safe side.

FULL SIZE SPARE! The wash board can do a number an a tire that's losing air.

So what's the best way/setup to take along an extra 10 gallons of Gas? I've got a conferr up top if that helps? Pictures would be awesome.

Full Size Spare... The only spare I have is a 30" and I'm running 31's

let me know...

LiquidOps said:
So what's the best way/setup to take along an extra 10 gallons of Gas? I've got a conferr up top if that helps? Pictures would be awesome.

let me know...
Steven, if you're gonna put gas on the roof might I suggest good NATO gerry cans, those suckers just do not leak. I have one I can let you borrow if we can find a way to hook up before then.

LiquidOps said:

let me know...

I just have two 5G gas tanks from the pep boys and lug them around inside. I have a siphon (sp?) and put the tank on the top and let gravity do the work. If you put them on top make sure they dont leak and you use something more than bungees to hold them down.

Your spare should be fine. I'm more worried about the people that have no spare, or a donut. If you have at least one end that's open there won't be any problems w/ your spare.

-Marisha

Back