• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44

Unless the front is also a 44, I'd not worry about it. If both rigs have similar transmissions (AW4 auto or any manual,) you should have the same gearing (3.55 for auto or 3.07 for manual, unless he's re-geared.)

The front is likely to be a D30 either way, unless it's been swapped.

Counteroffer - pull your rear axle (D35, right?) and take it with you. Swap for the D44. Take the D44 home. That way, he still has rolling stock (doesn't matter what gearing, and you shouldn't need to hook the brakes back up) so he can be quit of it easily. And, you don't have to worry about getting rid of your D35.

5-90, I wasn't trying to discount your having fit two axles in the back of your ride, but just thinking in terms of time constraints and of toxic fluid handling and transportation I want to avoid having to take the axles apart before I get home. If neccessity calls, I'll do what I have to do to get them home, but it's my less favored course of action.

What this guy really wants is for someone to just make his Jeep disappear, and the more mucking around I have to do, the less happy he is likely to be. Of course, that's an assumption, but his initial response was a flat rejection of my offer, citing his wife's likely dissatisfaction with the Jeep still in the driveway, but now on blocks and less easy to get rid of. It was only after I pointed out that he would actually make out better in the deal by taking my money and then whatever money the junkyard was willing to give him on top of that (rather than just what the junkyard would give him, which he claimed was $200 but I don't really believe) that he said he'd wait a little longer to see if anyone would take it whole first, and that it was more hassle than he really wanted. In the end, I'm hoping money talks and I end up with an axle or two.

If I were going to strip the axle(s) before loading it/hem, would this era of D44 be the same to disassemble as the D35 on my 92? My knowledge of the internal workings of the D44 are limited. Was this a c-clip axle, I guess I'm asking, and if not, is stripping it down any more difficult than a c-clip type axle?

Sorry to throw so many questions around. I imagine that there are threads that cover a lot of this, but I thought that having one thread that addressed all of these issues might be helpful to other people as well.

wavingpine11 said:
5-90, I wasn't trying to discount your having fit two axles in the back of your ride, but just thinking in terms of time constraints and of toxic fluid handling and transportation I want to avoid having to take the axles apart before I get home. If neccessity calls, I'll do what I have to do to get them home, but it's my less favored course of action.

What this guy really wants is for someone to just make his Jeep disappear, and the more mucking around I have to do, the less happy he is likely to be. Of course, that's an assumption, but his initial response was a flat rejection of my offer, citing his wife's likely dissatisfaction with the Jeep still in the driveway, but now on blocks and less easy to get rid of. It was only after I pointed out that he would actually make out better in the deal by taking my money and then whatever money the junkyard was willing to give him on top of that (rather than just what the junkyard would give him, which he claimed was $200 but I don't really believe) that he said he'd wait a little longer to see if anyone would take it whole first, and that it was more hassle than he really wanted. In the end, I'm hoping money talks and I end up with an axle or two.

If I were going to strip the axle(s) before loading it/hem, would this era of D44 be the same to disassemble as the D35 on my 92? My knowledge of the internal workings of the D44 are limited. Was this a c-clip axle, I guess I'm asking, and if not, is stripping it down any more difficult than a c-clip type axle?

Sorry to throw so many questions around. I imagine that there are threads that cover a lot of this, but I thought that having one thread that addressed all of these issues might be helpful to other people as well.

No worries.

You'll have a much easier time if you at least remove the shafts - which takes about three minutes with a socket wrench. Pull the drums, pull the backing plates, pull the shafts. You only need to remove the cover to drain the gear oil.

I wouldn't carry axles around that are full of oil - that's just asking for something to go wrong. Given that it takes only a few minutes to drain the axles, there's no reason not to.

"The wife" is another reason why I suggested taking in your axle to swap - you drop the D44, drop the rig on your old D35, and tighten the U-bolts. If he's helpful (no reason for him not to be - it will help make his wife less pissed...:hang: ) you will only add about 15 minutes to the job and get it done rather more quickly. I had to swap an Eaton axle under a five-ton truck a few years back, and it still only took about an hour and a half for the actual physical swap (another half-hour to get the brakes hooked up and pressure bled, and another half-hour for test.)

I don't think there was ever a C-clip type D44, so you don't have to tear into the differential to pull shafts. Just pull the backing plates at the ends (should be four nuts, take a baggie for the nuts and bolts) and the shafts pull right out.

Thanks for the helpful information 5-90 and everyone else. Just a couple final(?) questions. I really like the idea of the axle swap for all of the reasons suggested, but what about the difference in the spacing of the spring perches with the two axles? Will I really be able to bolt the D35 right up to the full size Jeep?

Back