• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 axle ??

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
Is the inner "C" on the Dana 30 (newer model XJs...2000 & 2001) the same as the inner "C" on the Dana 44?
I'm talking with Currie about a front axle and they want to use the knuckle on my 2000 XJ and match it to a Dana 44 "C". Is this correct? Anybody done this?
Is the inner "C" and knuckle on the newer XJs the same as the Dana 44? I want to upgrade in strength but wonder if they are already better than the old style. The D30 inner "C" looks really good but I wonder about the knuckles. Anybody know what really goes here? Thanks, Danno

All I know is the 00 and 01s have LP d30s.

for one using those knuckles high steer isnt an option. 2 you are still using the same unit bearing design. are you planning on staying 5 on 4.5 ? if you are there arent many options for you. I know there is a wierd 70s dodge truck that used lockouts and a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern but i dont think it was any stronger than a unit bearing design. If you are going to 5 on 5.5 then you could use a set of 78-79 f-250 knuckles have the passenger side tapped for a high steer arm ( driver side already is ) run f-150 outer setup on these knuckles ( lines up fine) have lockouts and be able to yank the shafts and keep on going. you'll also get away from using the inverted y sterring setup. you could also use a mix match of 78-79 cj-7 knuckles that are flat top with 82-83 cj brakes. if you are going to go to all the trouble of having the custom housing made by currie i would think about beefing up the outer setup . just my opinion.. if you have any questions feel free to drop me an email.

Danno,
The only thing that will be 44 on that front end is the center section. You won't get the lock out hubs, bigger wheel bearings, bigger ball joints, & all the other goodies that a true 44 would offer. IMO you'd be better off sticking with the 30 than waisting the money on this quasi 44.

Matt

they are different, 44 outers will not bolt on the newer 30 inners. now, 30 that came in CJs had different knuckles, and you can bolt on 44 outers to CJ 30 inners.

cj dana 30 outers are in essence dana 44 outers.. knuckles included.. why would you be using dana 30 inners?

Danno said:
I'm talking with Currie about a front axle and they want to use the knuckle on my 2000 XJ and match it to a Dana 44 "C". Is this correct?

have them build it with CJ inners, then get some 44 outers and set-up hi-steer.

I went through the same thing with Currie. Personally I think they started that when they started getting the factory 44 fronts for the TJ's.

I only ended up with $250 in just the narrowed housing and Currie wanted something like $650. The only reason I called was to get a complete housing with brackets (save time) and I talked to a couple of different people at Currie and they told me they wouldn't do an axle with the D44 style (or CJ D30) and put the brackets on.

IMHO, do it yourself or find someone close. Not worth the cash.

Later,
Lincoln

Back