• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting output shaft for H&T

CraigC

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to do my hack & tap SYE today and I'm wondering if I can cut the output shaft with a hacksaw. My dad has an angle grinder that I can use if I need to, but my parents are in the process of moving and I don't want to have to try and find it if I don't have to. So, is the output shaft hardened or anything like that, or can I sail right through it with a hacksaw?

The recommended method is to have the Jeep idling and in gear, and use a rotary grinder. That way you get a nice square cut. I suppose you could do it with a hacksaw, but it'd be a complete PITA and wouldn't come out as nice. I'd choose the easier method that does a better job.

Either way, measure twice, cut once.;)

You'd never cut that with a hack saw. It is hardened. Its not a high rockwell, but its harder than you can cut with a hack saw. Get the grinder, get a very thin cutoff wheel (1 or 2mm) and it will be done in a few minutes.

~James

If you do it with the shaft spinning, just remember to put it into neutral first and then let the shaft stop spinning, or just shut if off, before switching it back into park. Otherwise you will have some nice gear grinding.

Back