• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom lift

i don't know of any spring shops local to you but search the yellow pages for places that custom make leaf springs.

alcan and deaver both make custom leaf springs

i know mud builds are different than trail builds. but seriously i can't even picture how the suspension will even bolt up. your long arms would have to be mounted back near your tcase.

i suppose for the front you could get some 8in coils, 2in coil spacers and modify the coil buckets. that sounds kind of scary to me on stock axles though.

if you want to go leaf springs front and rear , do trailgear 5" lift springs, i had a toyota that had them, the body frame sat above the tires , i was running 38.5 boggers, front and rear set will run you about $600, it will give your jeep masive lift, i was gonna do it but i didnt wanna have a cherokee that high, still running the 38s on the cherokee though:viking:

Ya beat me to it. I was gonna suggest stacking a couple frames under the XJ...:D

For a 13" lift, probably the best advice would be to start with a full size...

I'm thinking of a killer way to mis-use a scissors lift right now ...

Get some good Fox coilovers, or some FOA, weld up some mounts and links for all four corners, and set whatever ride height you want.

I still think it'd look better with about 30 inches of lift and some 54's on the stock axles.

Personally, I think mine sit's too high on 5-6" of lift with 35's. I can't imagine 12" of lift with 36's.

I really hope we get some pictures of the outcome.

Can't wait to see what happens when a 12 inch leaf spring goes into an XJ... probably more spring wrap and forward/back/sideways motion than up/down!

12in on 38s
Photo0436.jpg

9in on 36s
Photo0437.jpg

this is a couple

the green one must have 10" blocks and an add a leaf... look how much higher the leafs are from the axle housing... wonder if the spring wrap would actually act like a sling shot on launch?

Im not understanding the point of the huge lift... but I agree.. 4 shocks per wheel, preferably chrome, at diffrent angles, 10" blocks, at least 3 steering stabalizers, and absolutely "NO" drop pitman arm.

theres a few jeeps down here like this already and never have any problems. guna run 36x14.5 with 2.5bs. if i cud figure out how to post pics id show you what im talking about. guna run stock axles till they break then go to 3/4ton or dana 60.
I could fit those tires on my 5.5" lifted XJ with those wheels, and have room for up travel. Depending on your stock axles, they will break either very quickly or immediately, especially if you stick with stock shafts, carriers, etc. Not to mention the leverage of 2.5" BS and 14.5" wide 36s on the hubs and ball joints...
the green one must have 10" blocks and an add a leaf... look how much higher the leafs are from the axle housing... wonder if the spring wrap would actually act like a sling shot on launch?
I didn't even notice that on my first look, but holy crap! So glad we don't have mud in the desert...:D

You don't need to run a double cardon u-joint on the driveshaft at 12" lift, right? Only need that above 15"? Same for an SYE?

David Bricker / SYR

So... out of curiosity (please dont kill my cat...) Its obvious that this guy is a bit out of touch with what we would see as normal/doable. After seeing so many of these types of newbie threads where someone wants to roll a turd in glitter and call it a day... Is there anybody who perhaps has built a dedicated mud rig that can offer some useable advice.
Personaly it seems as though most mud rigs are built with a combination of wood and things found on the back forty... So if there is a naxja member, perhaps some FL people who have done it proper, add a link?:helpme:

I can't think of the "proper way" to build an XJ that size.

The best way I'd say do it is to completely plate the unibody, stretch the wheel base about 3 feet, run coilovers and some seriously long links with 2 piece drive shafts, 2.5 ton top loaders on 44s.

Slapping 13" coils and leafs on stock axles just ain't gunna cut it.

I agree that 13 on a xj is circus like, it just isnt going to work in a safe manner. I may be getting old and crotchety but I figured that perhaps some of the southern boys who run the soup could show a safe realistic route, inside the stock axle parameter.

Back