• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom front recovery gear

An exception will be made for this thread. It will be allowed to continue as this issue is very important.

Yes.

Since you asked.

My "concern" is that there is a single perimeter weld around a much thicker steel tab, we have no way to determine the penetration into the tab.
When we look at recovery points we want to see, well thought out proven engineering, fabrication skill, and no single point of failure.

Recovery points are NOT the place to get creative.

Rev

Last edited:
Thanks for leaving it open.

What if I cut a groove down the center that just penetrates the 3/4 inch tab and have him lay a bead in it? If you want to see heat in the tab, that can be done easily (but at the cost of metal strength of the tab). If sold locally, I have no problems welding a tube down the center, but won't offer to a friend unless I get the nod in that direction.

I fully understand the liability aspect though. If a weld let's go, it could mean the death of someone.

If you're going to go through the trouble just drill two holes and use some grade 8 bolts to bolt them together as was suggested above.

If we're going to have a conversation about making them pass tech then this really needs to move to a tech forum.

I asked this already. At least in my head :)

Done, they will have two bolts through the middle of each of them as a second form of precaution.

Juries verdict?

I asked this already. At least in my head :)

Done, they will have two bolts through the middle of each of them as a second form of precaution.

Juries verdict?

If they were bolted I would pass them, that would make them no different than the tow hook brackets.

Side pulls still might bend them, but if they were bolted at least we wouldn't have to worry about separation, just bending your brackets, which is not any different than the tow hook brackets.

I liked Brian's idea of tying them together across the middle, that would make them very similar to a front receiver. It would be like the Iron Rock Offroad thing discussed here, but better because you're using the factory hook holes.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053159

well this certainly was a wealth of information. Thanks for that, so, on the sale of this item...after the bolts are through are they still for sale?

Xj "for once I asked a good question" arnie

If they were bolted I would pass them, that would make them no different than the tow hook brackets.

Side pulls still might bend them, but if they were bolted at least we wouldn't have to worry about separation, just bending your brackets, which is not any different than the tow hook brackets.

I liked Brian's idea of tying them together across the middle, that would make them very similar to a front receiver. It would be like the Iron Rock Offroad thing discussed here, but better because you're using the factory hook holes.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053159
brians idea is best, side pulls will still bend even the brackets pictured in post #20:

the drivers side one. it got worse after the second pull that day:
71621_127246623996429_100001332774399_135183_1637786_n.jpg

Thats why I went hookless. I've twisted one up on an easy pull out of our dried up pond. They are good for OEM's getting pulled out of a ditch, but not much else.

Looking at your skid, does it take a lot of twist to push the front end of the skid up to the center support? Mine doesn't seem to want to fit at all, and almost needs a 1x1 square between it and the support.

WHen I had a front skid it fit flush. Either your skid is tweaked or your core support is.

I have my stock skid in the garage, can bring to WF if you want it. No hardware.

I'm sure the core support is....... I keep finding more and more evidence the soccer mom who owned it before us like getting into small fender benders.

Thats why I went hookless. I've twisted one up on an easy pull out of our dried up pond. They are good for OEM's getting pulled out of a ditch, but not much else.

Looking at your skid, does it take a lot of twist to push the front end of the skid up to the center support? Mine doesn't seem to want to fit at all, and almost needs a 1x1 square between it and the support.

i get a bolt in each side behind the sway bar mounts, and then swing the front up and put a 1/4" bolt through it. then the rest can go in without holding it. its not easy, but it does line right up.

Back