• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy hydraulic longarm idea

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on some stuff and had an interesting idea for the upper bracing links on a LA setup.

Take two short travel hydraulic cylinders and put them into the place of the upper links. Put to lines on them, running from the front of one to the back of the other and vice versa. Fill them with fluid and get all the air bled out, maybe by putting a T in each hose and hooking it to a temporary resivour.

Once the system is closed one cylinder has to get shorter for the other to get longer. When stufifing one whee the fluid could travel through the system allowing the system to flex better.

While in level road travel though they would not be able to change length.

I dunno, maybe I am just to bored :)

Could work, But i would be worried about it on road, what if you had a major pull one way and that caused that side to compress and also forced the other side to get longer at the same time, I think that would only make things worse on road, but then again i'm not sure how all that would work, The idea would work well if you could lock one cylinder maybe put a valve in a line or something and then open the valve when offroad. Good thinking though

Jerm S.

Careful, you're treading on dangerous waters here. Outlandish ideas (good or not) have been known to get you on a permanently banned from NAXJA list (ask me how I know).

Anyway, your idea is a good one so much so that there is an Australian system that works on a similar concept. I cant recall the name right now, Im sure someone else will, but it ties all the shocks to one another via hydraulic lines and other hardware, so that one side's action influences the other side's action and helps the vehicle offroad. I dont remember all the details, but I do recall Jeep, Range Rover and the US military all looking into incorporating the system. Its not control arms but it is similar in function to your idea.

XJguy

Quoted only.

XJguy said:
Careful, you're treading on dangerous waters here. Outlandish ideas (good or not) have been known to get you on a permanently banned from NAXJA list (ask me how I know).

Anyway, your idea is a good one so much so that there is an Australian system that works on a similar concept. I cant recall the name right now, Im sure someone else will, but it ties all the shocks to one another via hydraulic lines and other hardware, so that one side's action influences the other side's action and helps the vehicle offroad. I dont remember all the details, but I do recall Jeep, Range Rover and the US military all looking into incorporating the system. Its not control arms but it is similar in function to your idea.

XJguy

Back