• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank position sensor

JBhunter

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0
Which order do the pins go when testing the CPS?

With the electrical connector clip facing up, is it A B C left to right?

If so I get A-B infinite resistance/OL, B-C 43.3 ohms, does this sound right?

Or is the CPS bad?

All the basic questions have been asked and answered. Using the SEARCH function (http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80053) will usually avoid having to post a new thread with a repeat question.

CPS Testing

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector

standard.jpg

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1

· Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2

· You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

if you look into the connector with the tab to the top

a- b -c

between b and c , you should see infinite resistance.

yours sounds fine, cause I think you swapped a and c.

I've been reading posts for the last 2 days. Never saw a picture of the connector and mine looks like none described. My readings were reversed from the procedure. That is why I asked.

No I had the pins right, connector on top. Now I get 20M ohms A-B, 41 ohms B-C. Auto ranging meter. Sounds like a CPS

Gauges and odometer OK disconnected or not. Grounds checked,all OK
Fuel at rail,gas smell at tailpipe. No voltage at coil. Fuses all good.

Where are the ASD / Fuel pump relay's located? Nothing is labled, nothing in Haynes. Only want to make one run to the parts store tomarrow.

Thanks, so far

Back