• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust header

falcon556 said:
I get a letter informing me that I am a part of a class action suit, whether I like it or not. The case goes through they send me Kodak film (polaroid) or coupons or in one case $15 that covers nothing.
In the mean time the lawyers get millions,

....ok, and the company that was negligent pays through the teeth - it is our way of punishing people who do something wrong...something wrong that is not necessarily illegal.
falcon556 said:
or in the case of the tobacco companies that never explained to me that smoking is bad for me, billions and I the smoker, nothing.

no one ever explained to you that smoking was bad for you? so you should receive millions?

falcon556 said:
I don't know what you call it, at the end we all pay for it.
BTW one reason that we have no progress in so many industries (General Aviation is a prime example), is the fear of law suites. When you get your next flu shot, it will be made overseas for the same reason.
As far as I am concerned they can go to hell.

Law "suites"...all lawyers should go to hell - then the world would be a progressive and industrious place. lawyers are the reason that general aviation technology has not progressed quickly enough for you. what a joke - i dont even have to honor these bogus, incoherent statements with an argument.

What do you think - lawyers should work for free? I would like to hear what your alternative method of dispute resolution is, who pays for it, and what low-pay professionals will implement it.

Sure there are lawyers who deserve their poor reputation - as in any profession. But the next time you are in legal trouble, have a legal issue that demands your attention - reread your comments about lawyers. The profession is completely necessary - and as a whole your characterization of lawyers as scum is completely unfounded.

The common misconception of the ambulance-chasing and morally relaxed attorney is a result of the media, television, and movies.....why dont you turn your television off, your brain on, and form an opinion of your own.

bacelaw said:
....ok, and the company that was negligent pays through the teeth - it is our way of punishing people who do something wrong...something wrong that is not necessarily illegal.

We punish people by enriching the lawyers. COOL!

no one ever explained to you that smoking was bad for you? so you should receive millions?

I never asked for any, never received any, got stuck paying.
The smoker was the supposedly injured party for whom it was done for, the lwayers got the loot.

The common misconception of the ambulance-chasing and morally relaxed attorney is a result of the media, television, and movies.....why dont you turn your television off, your brain on, and form an opinion of your own.

I wonder what kind of person could look at the current system and think it is working as it should. You need to do some reading, start with John Stossel's latest book. Who knows, you might learn something.

falcon556 said:
We punish people by enriching the lawyers. COOL!

I never asked for any, never received any, got stuck paying.
The smoker was the supposedly injured party for whom it was done for, the lwayers got the loot.

I wonder what kind of person could look at the current system and think it is working as it should. You need to do some reading, start with John Stossel's latest book. Who knows, you might learn something.
Thanks for the education - guess law school didn't teach me much of anything.

Where did you get your law degree? your p.h.d i guess it must be?

Heres your free education: We punish civil wrongs by making the wrongdoers pay money...we make the wrongdoers pay those who they injur or damage - amounts of may be awarded either by settlement (before trial) or juries (through trial).

Lawyers, like doctors, as professionals charge a fee for their services. In personal injury suits, it is generally 30% of whatever damages are awarded, or agreed to via settlement.

You are very critical of "the system," and it seems as though you have it all figured out - so here's a simple question: can you offer a more efficient and less costly system of dispute resolution?

What is your magical intelligent plan to solve the horrible effects that lawyers have had on our moral society?

So when someone close to you is injured horribly, or god fobid dies as a result of a doctor's gross negligence - how should we solve that problem without lawyers?

If you have a contract with someone and they simple tell you to pound sand when it's time for you to pay - you are NOT going to call a lawyer? How do you propose those situations should be handled?

You are so wise, please, enlighten me. Give me the education you said I required due to my ignorance in believing that the civil legal system, although not perfect, is best served by professional, skilled, educated, and ACCOUNTABLE advocates.....Lawyers.

bacelaw said:
Thanks for the education - guess law school didn't teach me much of anything.

Where did you get your law degree? your p.h.d i guess it must be?

A lawyer, I would've never guessed!
I am a Roads Scholar and you are a very impartial debater. :D

falcon556 said:
A lawyer, I would've never guessed!
I am a Roads Scholar and you are a very impartial debater. :D

Great response to my simple questions. You were so fired up and quick to disparage the "system" and lawyers in general.But, when asked simple questions, you resort to a stupid joke.

Before you insult an entire profession, be prepared to defend your opinion.

This is especially good advice if the professionals you are insulting are trained to argue, spend $100,000+ on their education, three years of grueling testing, a miserable bar examination - and then spend the rest of their extremely busy lives attempting to perfect their professional abilities. This is also a profession that can claim more than half of all U.S. Presidents as their colleagues.

(and it's Rhodes Scholar)....my work is done here - consider yourself skewered!!!

:hang:

bacelaw said:
Great response to my simple questions. You were so fired up and quick to disparage the "system" and lawyers in general.But, when asked simple questions, you resort to a stupid joke.

Before you insult an entire profession, be prepared to defend your opinion.

This is especially good advice if the professionals you are insulting are trained to argue, spend $100,000+ on their education, three years of grueling testing, a miserable bar examination - and then spend the rest of their extremely busy lives attempting to perfect their professional abilities. This is also a profession that can claim more than half of all U.S. Presidents as their colleagues.

(and it's Rhodes Scholar)....my work is done here - consider yourself skewered!!!

:hang:

Your education didn't get you far enough to recognize a joke.
Roads Scholar, like life experience, got it?
BTW if you knew anything about General Aviation, you would have known that we had something beautiful that was destroyed by people claiming to be there to help others, using their 100,000+ education to enrich themselves.
I do agree with you on one point, this has gone far enough.
Good Day.

falcon556 said:
Your education didn't get you far enough to recognize a joke.
Roads Scholar, like life experience, got it?
BTW if you knew anything about General Aviation, you would have known that we had something beautiful that was destroyed by people claiming to be there to help others, using their 100,000+ education to enrich themselves.
I do agree with you on one point, this has gone far enough.
Good Day.

Apology Accepted.

:farmer:

damn i have'nt been on here in a long time, anyhow back when i had my '91 Xj i made a successful patch that lasted a couple years using this stuff i got from a hardware store, some sort of 1/2 epoxy, 1/2 cement, 1/2 jb weld looking stuff i think it was called furnace cement, not 100% sure but i think thats what it was, just globbed it on and it worked pretty dang good for a long time.

bacelaw said:
so when huge classes of people have valid claims/damages from the negligence of a large company.......we should do what?

lawyers are not in the business of "ripping off companies," no offense, but what an ignorant thing to stay.

The hell they aren't!:anon:

hello folks, i also installed the much debated APN header about a month ago and its been doing well. I had to do a tiny bit of grinding on the intake and the header to get em to mesh right but in all it was an easy job. it was hot and i was sweatin like a pig in my garage but it was all good. i left injectors on and did not mess with the rail. marked everything real well and then just proceeded to cuss at the manifold bolts with every type of adapter imaginable. of the whole install the most brain whacking part was trying to get the bottom two bolts towards the firewall back on the damn block. after everything is on and re-connected it was smooth sailing from there.

no more exhaust leak and performance wise i don't give a hoot as long as the stupid exhaust leak is gone. sounded like a goped before i fixed it.

i used the permatex copper spray on the gasket while assembling.

so i have put about 2k miles on the apn header now and its ok, nothing weird about it and looks like its doing the job. i dont have a lot of mechanical experience but it was not too hard. just mark everything and take the time to clean the parts while your at it.

96CheroKeeClassik said:
my check engine light kept coming on in my 96, and it was the oxygen sensors.......replaced them, still had them problem. Turns out I had a cracked manifold. I had it welded and it has been fine over the last six months with the occasional check engine light....

I've been having the CEL come on randomly since march. It keeps throwing P0138 for the o2 sensor #2 shorting out. Is this what yours was doing? My exhaust doesn't really sound too abnormal, but then again i do have a flowmaster on it so it can be hard to tell. mpg has been a steady 17-19 all city with the a/c on, and I havent really noticed any rough running, with the exception of sometimes with the a/c on and the first time i stop once the engine has warmed up. With the a/c if i get on the gas pedal moderate to heavy and let back off real quick, rpm's drop and it tries to stall, but the compressor kicks off and the engine recovers, and then the compressor kicks back on and all is good. With the stopping after warm up, the rpm's dip down a little bit, but it quickly recovers.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I've been having the CEL come on randomly since march. It keeps throwing P0138 for the o2 sensor #2 shorting out. Is this what yours was doing? My exhaust doesn't really sound too abnormal, but then again i do have a flowmaster on it so it can be hard to tell. mpg has been a steady 17-19 all city with the a/c on, and I havent really noticed any rough running, with the exception of sometimes with the a/c on and the first time i stop once the engine has warmed up. With the a/c if i get on the gas pedal moderate to heavy and let back off real quick, rpm's drop and it tries to stall, but the compressor kicks off and the engine recovers, and then the compressor kicks back on and all is good. With the stopping after warm up, the rpm's dip down a little bit, but it quickly recovers.

I've been told that a cracked exhaust can suck in air as it pulses, altering the exhaust mixture and making it appear too lean to the sensor. In turn the puter tries to make it "right" by enriching the mixture, creating a mess.
I also have a 99 with an intermittent sensor light, I had the driver get it checked at Autozone but failed to write down the details. It came and went a couple of times and I decided to ignore it.
I had a similar experience with a Maxima, high heater resistance caused a fault. The resistance was just a little outside the standard value. Left it alone, the light went out, came back a couple of times and then stayed out permanently.

falcon556 said:
Never used it, is it a requirement?

hey falcon, i dont think its a requirement but i read somewhere that it can't hurt. its weird though, you buy a big ol can of it and you only use a few squirts.

i had a yota a while back and when i did those headers with no spray the result was the same, fine either way. i guess those wires and hoses above the intake got me a bit paranoid about having to disassemble so i thought i would do it in case it helps.

either way, i think it will work with or without that "copper spray".

POSXJGuy said:
hey falcon, i dont think its a requirement but i read somewhere that it can't hurt. its weird though, you buy a big ol can of it and you only use a few squirts.

i had a yota a while back and when i did those headers with no spray the result was the same, fine either way. i guess those wires and hoses above the intake got me a bit paranoid about having to disassemble so i thought i would do it in case it helps.

either way, i think it will work with or without that "copper spray".

I use Hy Tack on waterpump gaskets, never thought about using anything on exhaust gaskets.

In the posts people are mentioning APN headers for the XJ's. I have never heard of these before. I have looked into the Banks and Pacesetter ones. I have a 96 and have welded the header twice. I was going to buy the Banks one but by thime I have it shipped to the east coast of Canada it was going to cost me almost $700.

Rob

Back