• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust header

How about Marine-Tex or high-temp JB weld?

I heard success stories with both as long as you clean the surface well before applying the compounds.

By the way, I have a hairline crack on mine where the 2 header pipes converge into one, right before the junction where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. This may be causing me to run rich which would be a reason for my lower than average MPG with a stock XJ.

96CheroKeeClassik said:
my check engine light kept coming on in my 96, and it was the oxygen sensors.......replaced them, still had them problem. Turns out I had a cracked manifold. I had it welded and it has been fine over the last six months with the occasional check engine light....

Had my 96 welded 3 months ago, holding up well.
I understand there is a class action suit going on regarding this problem.

Oh so perhaps no forms of patching/welding should be attempted until the verdict of the suit is discovered?

Maybe they would then say it wasn't covered becuase you tried to modify it, etc. etc.?

Blaine B. said:
Oh so perhaps no forms of patching/welding should be attempted until the verdict of the suit is discovered?

Maybe they would then say it wasn't covered becuase you tried to modify it, etc. etc.?

Normally a class action suit gets you a few bucks and millions for the lawyers and it doesn't matter what you do.
Just a way for lawyers to rip off companies.
My concern was to fix my Jeep. While looking for exhaust manifolds I ran into the lawsuit info. Given a choice, I won't participate.

Blaine B. said:
Oh, I was perhaps thinking it would be recalled and replaced free of charge, just like the fan speed plug behind the climate controls.

That would be nice, everybody I know with a 4.0 had this problem, including myself three times.

bajacalal said:
Exactly, this isin't something that should happen to a car with less than 100,000 miles on it. And it happens to every 4.0 I see with the old style manifold.

It is not normal, no question about it.
Too bad Chrysler won't do something about it.

take it off and take it to a exhaust shop and have them weld the cracks

mdicanio said:
Does it happen to the 4.0 in the Grand Cherokees also? I know the 4.0 is used in the Grand up until 2004?

I have a WJ 01 with the 4.0, about 90K no problem, this is my first WJ, the wife drives it and I don't spend nearly as much time with it as I do with the XJs.

Yeah
The lawers are the only ones going to get any thing from it.
Its been going on for a long time also and there are a few of those web sites around.

Only way you can fix a cracked header is welding the crack (Firepower makes great cast iron electrodes for arc welders) A less expensive quick fil is JB Welds metal filler which I have actually used to retap engine bolts and also fix cracked headers.

RBNRaider said:
Only way you can fix a cracked header is welding the crack (Firepower makes great cast iron electrodes for arc welders) A less expensive quick fil is JB Welds metal filler which I have actually used to retap engine bolts and also fix cracked headers.

Some members report bad luck with welded headers, I had two welded.
a 1987 that kept for another 2-3 years after the welding and a 96 that I did recently. The first worked great for as long as I kept it, so far so good but too early to tell for the 96.

falcon556 said:
Just a way for lawyers to rip off companies.

so when huge classes of people have valid claims/damages from the negligence of a large company.......we should do what?

lawyers are not in the business of "ripping off companies," no offense, but what an ignorant thing to stay.

bacelaw said:
so when huge classes of people have valid claims/damages from the negligence of a large company.......we should do what?

lawyers are not in the business of "ripping off companies," no offense, but what an ignorant thing to stay.

I get a letter informing me that I am a part of a class action suit, whether I like it or not. The case goes through they send me Kodak film (polaroid) or coupons or in one case $15 that covers nothing.
In the mean time the lawyers get millions, or in the case of the tobacco companies that never explained to me that smoking is bad for me, billions and I the smoker, nothing.
I don't know what you call it, at the end we all pay for it.
BTW one reason that we have no progress in so many industries (General Aviation is a prime example), is the fear of law suites. When you get your next flu shot, it will be made overseas for the same reason.
As far as I am concerned they can go to hell.

Back