• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could a filter for a 2.5l 4 cyl mistakenly be put on the 4.0 6cyl?

Mastodon

NAXJA Forum User
My previous oil change I had lost the paper that I wrote down what the filter number is for the filter I use. (Pure One)

When I went to Advanced Auto and asked the girl (who was incredibly high) to look it up, she mistakenly chose the 2.5 4 cyl option. (I would not have even known if the monitor wasn't angled.) I corrected her, she went back, and chose the wrong one by mistake again. I corrected her once more and she gave me the number.

When I got ready to put it on, I compared the old filter to the new one just to be sure, my thinking being that a filter for a 2.5 4cyl would be visibly different.

It looked no different, so I went ahead and put it on. Am I wrong about this?

Well, what year? Some 4.0s are metric, others are SAE.

What filter did you end up with? Brand and part number would be nice.

I thought they were the same filter. IIRC from when I worked there, for about 10 years dodge only had about 3 different filters they used.
------------------------------------
Edit: 1996 Cherokee For example:

2.5L Purolator Oil Filter

Part No. PL14670
------------------------------------

4.0L:
Purolator Oil Filter

Part No. PL14670

yea, that part number is one of the most common filters out there.

Last edited:
those part numbers are directly from Advance's website.

How did you figure out what year it was?

This is a real case of "Parts Counter Idiot". Did he even get the right thread? Without the year we don't know if it is a metric or SAE thread.

Kind of reminds me of a trip to Bi-Mart (local west coast chain of stores).
Gal at the sporting goods counter was asked by a customer if she sold Black Powder. She took a can of smokeless powder off the shelf, opened it, and said "Yep, it is black!". After I spoke with the store manager she was reassigned to the electronics department.

I was kinda intending to nudge him in the direction of just checking the website himself. While providing the knowledge that from 1991 - until there was only one oil filter used on the Cherokee. All of them. Actually almost all Dodge and Jeep trucks with a gas engine just about use a 14670 PN filter, and a lot of the minivans and cars do as well.

If he has a Renix, I believe it still has the same oil filter between the 2.5L and 4.0L just a different part number. I felt I had done enough work though, and left a little for him to do to confirm if he has a renix.

Unless you have the PN you need memorized, just rip the top of the box off and throw it in the Glovebox. That way it will be there if you need it.

I was kinda intending to nudge him in the direction of just checking the website himself. While providing the knowledge that from 1991 - until there was only one oil filter used on the Cherokee. All of them. Actually almost all Dodge and Jeep trucks with a gas engine just about use a 14670 PN filter, and a lot of the minivans and cars do as well.

If he has a Renix, I believe it still has the same oil filter between the 2.5L and 4.0L just a different part number. I felt I had done enough work though, and left a little for him to do to confirm if he has a renix.

Unless you have the PN you need memorized, just rip the top of the box off and throw it in the Glovebox. That way it will be there if you need it.

Aha! The old "give a man a fish versus teach a man to fish" ploy! Very good, wise and crafty one! :worship:

Seriously, you are right.

You already put the filter on. Hopefully, you look underneath after you start it up to look for oil dripping after each and every oil change. If it drips, NO GOOD! If no oil pressure on start up, NO GOOD! Turn it off and fix it. There is a big problem with people putting on metric filters for SAE and the other way around. The oil runs out within a few miles. If anyone took the basic precaution to look underneath after start up, they would have saved their engines.

It's a 2000, so no Renix for me I believe.

Also, I always check for leaks after an oil change and just about everyday. I also always make sure the gauges are reading okay right after I change the oil.

It was not until ~2000 miles into the change that my pressure started dropping. I'm getting ready to change it again (a little over 3000 miles now and I'm supposed to be driving to NY from VA soon)

I was just reminded of it while buying a filter the other day, and figured I'd ask on the off chance that that could be the simple solution to the dropping oil pressure.

Thanks for the replies :)

A good rule of thumb when visiting the parts stores- check their website before you leave, and get the part numbers. All they are going to be doing is checking the same website. At least you know what you drive...

"Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain,
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high."
I learned a long time ago to tell 'em "4.0, 6-cylinder", because when they hear just 4.0, they always choose the 4-cylinder.

Back