• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cordless Impact

I have the cheap Craftsman 18V impact gun, and yeah, it's limited, but it's still a great thing to have. I do a lot of woodworking, and it'll drive tons of sheet rock type screws, better than a drill. I'm an electrician, and it's great when you're assembling conduit with screw couplings. Also, I've got the matching reciprocating saw, shares the same batteries. Go into the junkyard, and come out with whole chunks of XJ! I'm everybody's friend when I bring it in.

Yeah, that's something I love about having a cordless sawzall... junkyard runs are easy.

I got paid 20 bucks for chopping out a section of frame on an isuzu or something a while back, I wasn't even going to ask for money but he handed me a 20 after I finished, and who's gonna argue with that? :dunno:

The snapon one is kick ass power wise. But nothing electro ic on it is covered. Charger batteries and most of the gun aren't covered. Just the pnuematic parts of the gun. Just so ya know

i know i am a little late to this rodeo but hey tyler did you ever get a chance to use my hitachi? it so great with the torq but its was cheap and the battery life is pretty desent. i use the piss out of that thing!

Yea the snap on warranty on anything but hand tools blows. I know a lot of their pneumatic impact guns and air hammers and such aren't covered at all.

Have a few year old 12 volt dewalt. It sucks but got it cheap as hell factory reconditioned. My work just got a lith 18 volt Makita impact in a set with the drill and impact driver as well. All 3 are SWEET. I believe they were reconditioned units as well.

As far as Snap-on warrentys, non hand tool sucks. If you don't have a snap-on guy anyway they can be difficult to deal with in my expierence(Ours just quit coming around, guess he didn't need the money we all owed him).

Edit: yeah sticking my $.02 in late but oh well.

The warranty on snap on non hand tools does suck, but they have a fairly cheap recon program for most things without a warranty. I think I paid $14 to have my 3/8 cordless impact rebuilt about a year ago.

I have the Makita and it works wonders. It has the best power and life out of the cheaper 1/2" drive impacts that I've used (dewalt, makita, milwaukee, craftsmen). I'm sure the Snapon is better, but I am very impressed with the Makita.

You know, recently I've noticed them a lot at work. Seems like 4 or 5 guys have Makita drills and impact guns. Must be doing something right. I always like checking out new or different brands.

ya, they want $140 to fix charging issue
$140 to repair is still better than $500 to replace, but I think your dealer is screwing you over at that price. I looked back at my receipts, and it was $24 for it to be sent out, and I paid about $5 in parts for it.

You know, recently I've noticed them a lot at work. Seems like 4 or 5 guys have Makita drills and impact guns. Must be doing something right. I always like checking out new or different brands.
My dad has had a Makita drill for like 12 years now, still hasn't killed it. He only really does basic home repair stuff, no real heavy mechanical work, but it seems to be holding up quite nicely.

I just picked up one of these last week mostly because the Snapon truck had them for $100 off and threw in a multi charger for only $40 bucks. Its pretty freggin sweet, it'l take the lug nuts off the Jeep. We have the 18 volt version at work and that thing is a beast, only problem is its over $550 new and too heavy for what I want to do with it.

I did some searching and it looks like Sioux Tools was bought by Snapon and now builds their electric and pneumatic tools (but not Blue Point). Sioux has a very good reputation and best of all they are still made in the USA.... but the batteries are "Hecho En Mexico"

Well I ordered a new 3/8" snap on gun tonight. After doing so many of these damn valve spring recalls, a small, powerful cordless gun is ABSOLUTELY essential. I honestly think it saves me a good 2 hours.

I borrowed a couple of coworkers other guns for a few days to try and make a real world decision, and the snap on definitely came in above the rest. One this that really sticks out though, it is HEAVY. Compared to the 2 makitas I was also using is felt like a brick. But the power was far above the others, as was the battery life.

I did get to use a Makita that I really liked, but it didn't have a brake. I sheered off two small bolts because the inertia of the thing kept plowing when I let off the trigger. Can't have that. The price was also right. With my discount the snap on came out to $268 shipped. Most of the other ones I was looking at were around $300.

$140 to repair is still better than $500 to replace, but I think your dealer is screwing you over at that price. I looked back at my receipts, and it was $24 for it to be sent out, and I paid about $5 in parts for it.
ya i got the charger taken care of.
but our compressor went out at work, so i pulled out the handy electric snap-on.........

....and broke the hammer.....

now have to see if they are gonna warranty that or not....

power wise the snap on is impressive, but ive been having some serious issues as of late

dewalt one is awesome that I have!

ya i got the charger taken care of.
but our compressor went out at work, so i pulled out the handy electric snap-on.........

....and broke the hammer.....

now have to see if they are gonna warranty that or not....

power wise the snap on is impressive, but ive been having some serious issues as of late
damn, that sucks. I have been using the hell out of mine lately doing a lot of site work on heavy equipment, and it has yet to give me any problems.

Thought I'd revive this thread as I purchased a new cordless impact and can say that they perform above and beyond my expectations. I was a skeptic at first and thought the best you could get had to be a air-based tool but how wrong I was.

I ended purchasing the Milwaukee 2663-22 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring from Amazon. This little baby was more than capable and a very good contender against any air tool out there. With this tool I was able to rip off the old suspension and install my RC 4.5" X-Series lift kit, pull off all my tires lug nuts, remove and replace all the nuts on transfer car twice without ever having to switch over to the second, included, battery.

Simply amazing! This tool has really changed my opinion of what the newer batteries are capable of. All you skeptics might want to have a second look.

Back