• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commonly broken XJ items...what are they?

lets see, got the broken console latch, just replaced the tailgate lifts, and the both seats tearing at the recline point (2 door thing i guess, folding seat front to get in back seat)

clunk said:
My 1990 with only just over 100k has been a real lemon, I'm selling it to buy something more reliable. I heard talk of people commenting on how reliable the cherokee is. Maybe I got a lemon, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another domestic piece of crap--that only gets 11MPG to boot.

In the 8 months and 8k that I have put on it as a DD with the odd drive up a maintained forest service road to get to some bike trails or a lake(most of these don't even require 4hi), I have had a bunch of things go wrong:

-starter died 2 days after I bought it.
-battery was old so I threw a new one in along with the starter.
-changed the oil and the RMS started to leak a quart a day, so I tore the oil pan off and did a RMS job.
-TPS started acting wonky a few weeks later, so I replaced that.
-Coolant overflow bottle cracked, so I replaced that.
-parking brake cable has now seized, so I just don't use the e-brake
-power window regulators are "touchy" and work when/if they want to.
-front output seal on the transfer case is leaking, so I top up the x-fer case regularly so it doesn't run dry.
-rear axle seals were leaking onto the brake pads, so that needed to be fixed.
-factory radio stopped working.
-blower motor/heat is intermittent--sometimes the fan will just stop blowing altogether, then start again in a minute.
-horn does not work, hasn't from day 1.
-fixed 4 water leaks into the cab, tore up the mouldy carpet underlay etc to get rid of the water.
-replaced all rad hoses as I have had the upper rad hose burst unexpectedly (that was fun), as well as a heater fan hose burst.
-the "strong" 4.0l is developing a collapsed lifter, which means it's life is soon to be over. It's not worth my money to fix this thing, as there is still a looooong list of little things wrong/things that need replacing before I'd consider it a "reliable" DD.

Overall this low mileage, mint cherokee which has been well maintained has been a real piece of garbage, but of course that's just my opinion. Currently I don't trust this vehicle to drive more than 50km's at a time, and that's mostly because I know that it would inevitably break down somewhere if I tried driving it any further than that. Luckily my commute is only 7 miles a day, so when it breaks down it's easy for me to hitchhike or walk home.

i think this is more like the car was not maintained by the previous owner.

i have had my fair share of problems with my jeep. but i bought it for 500 from a st. vincent depauls.
1990 cherokee

all u joints
new rear end (axle seal leak and the set pin for the pinion shaft was broken off so i put in a non c-clip rear.)
exhaust manifold
camshaft
lifters
timing chain and gears
head milled
starter
battery and cables
coolant overflow bottle
a/c recharge
still needs
door and window seals
exhaust work
minor odds and ends.

i love my cherokee and i cant believe i traded it away for a ranger. SO GLAD I GOT IT BACK!!

x5billion on the center console latch

Cruise Control stopped working
Window lock likes to lock peoples windows without my command
Evap Canister
My wallet

2000 Sport...
*Center latch, like everyone else.
*Front drivers side speaker only works when it feels like it (my '98 did this too).
*Center console lid screws always coming loose...
*AC Evaporator.
*x A million on the tear on the drivers seat.
*Under-hood worklight only works once in a blue moon...

Other than routine stuff, my 95 (5spd) has only had the radiator and water pump replaced in 136k miles. The A/C is still good and the original clutch is still holding fine. AND my center console latch still works. There is a God!:cheers:

(now the damn thing will probably spontaneously combust in the driveway since I posted this):flame:

OK, so I read through the plethora of replies to my original post. It definately seems like the XJ has been plagued by a manufacture's defect of the center console latch. What to do, what to do.

What is the fix for this? Should we march against the fine makers of the XJ and demand our money back, find a suitable vendor and beg for 5 billion replacement latches for free, or just forget it and wheel the crap out of our Cherokees until the rest of the parts fall off?

I'm for wheeling. What about the rest of you Jeeple?

Broken latch here too! my water pump went out on me the other day, as did my A/C. My right rear door lock doesn't remotely open and shut with the rest of them, but that's ok. My hood light doesn't work either, but again, I don't really care.

ComancheColt said:
accccctually 1991 with the last of the Grand Wagoneers :D

Preach on!! I dont care what goes wrong with my XJ. I want to be buried in mine.:cheers:

OK heres the list on my 98 that I've had for 3 years.
currently has 106000 miles. Bought it with 70,000 miles.

Broken shock bolts.
replaced rotors 3 times.
bad front U-Joints
power window regulator
takes forever to start after its warmed up
radiator went out.
AC fan took a dump
hood latches failed
Cat Converter is shot. Sounds like loose stones rattling in there.

But the interior has held up great. Nothing is broken. No rips in seats. And this thing has the coldest AC I've ever had in a vehicle.

My 88 hasent given me really any major problems. Replaced radator, water pump, hoses, and pressure bottle. The headlights are stuck in low beam and the rear defroster works when it wants to. I cant forget the sunroof leaks sometimes.

Definately have to agree on the broken console latch and torn driverside seat at the recliner control. Infact my seat's support member recently broke at the same location.

I don't think my center console has a latch, or it was broken before I got the Jeep. The low washer fluid light flashes even with the container looking at least half full. I filled it to the top...see if that fixes it. The rigid plastic ring that holds the shift boot in place is broken in one spot, so it flops around, just need a bit of glue on that.

Everything else seems to be fine...

Speedo shakes back and forth at idle (all 3 MJ's and the sole suviving XJ - the others have finally died, and left parts behind....), but the center console latches are still working.

Back