• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Thanks I emailed her all the details from all three of you. So far she has gotten lucky, but sooner or later she will need help. All the tools and parts are in Texas with me. Trying to get her to join tripple A also. Down her, and in Detroit she had friends 24/7 to bail her out.....

Which scanner do you have? I finally bought an MT-2500 rig with all the trimmings. Have you seen the new ones just for Renix Nickintime is building?

i have a snapon modis

I went to mines for a bit. Kinda like the big bang theory there... Golden, for being a suburb of Denver, is a pretty cool area tho. Don't forget your free beer at the Coors factory!
E DAYS!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like watching a pyrotechnics display from your back yard. :)

Ecomike said:
She, and when he visits, here brother, will want to tour the Brewery and sample the goods, LOL. CSofM and the NREL would be the ones I would/will visit, LOL. Cool place from the sound of it.
Y'all come! We have some fun events during the summer, and a few historical attractions.

She is always looking for cool fun places. Especially for outdoor scenic photo shoot locations.

E DAYS!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like watching a pyrotechnics display from your back yard. :)

Y'all come! We have some fun events during the summer, and a few historical attractions.

I picked up the Liberty today from the dealer. Idled perfectly the whole way home and there was no loss of power or cutting out either. I made a stop at Ace on the way and it started right up so I was giddy. I had to make another stop at Safeway up in Woodland and then it wouldn't start afterwards. Does the same thing it's been doing. Turn the key and it starts up but feels like it's running on 3/4 cylinders and shakes violently. There's zero response if you try to give it gas. Shut it off and try again and it will either start and do the same thing or just crank away and not start at all. After three attempts it finally started and ran fine.

Sounds like a heat soak vapor lock. Low fuel pump pressure, FPR or check valve or fuel line issue? But I don't know if that is a typical issue with the Liberty. On the XJs, cycling the ignition switch 3-4 times, on and off for 4-5 seconds each time to reprime the fuel rail can temporarily fix it and semi confirm the cause.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65698

Altitude is listed as a possible additional factor in post #2

I picked up the Liberty today from the dealer. Idled perfectly the whole way home and there was no loss of power or cutting out either. I made a stop at Ace on the way and it started right up so I was giddy. I had to make another stop at Safeway up in Woodland and then it wouldn't start afterwards. Does the same thing it's been doing. Turn the key and it starts up but feels like it's running on 3/4 cylinders and shakes violently. There's zero response if you try to give it gas. Shut it off and try again and it will either start and do the same thing or just crank away and not start at all. After three attempts it finally started and ran fine.

Found a nest of common complaints and multiple causes that did not fix it?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c2387_ds458362

But this sounds interesting and unusual:

"I actually found the problem. In both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Jeeps, the valve cover gaskets have a short life and as they encircle the spark plugs, oils leaks down on them and shorts them out. Gasket changed, problem solved. Thanks for all the rest of the advice and your answers though! "

That link from LJ was interesting Mike. Thanks for posting it. I'm not 100% but I'm fairly certain that every time I've experienced the no start issue that it's been when the motor is hot.

That link from LJ was interesting Mike. Thanks for posting it. I'm not 100% but I'm fairly certain that every time I've experienced the no start issue that it's been when the motor is hot.

All it takes for heat soak to happen is for the fuel pressure to drop when the engine is cut off, for any reason, leaky fuel hose in the gas tank, back check valve in the gas tank, pump, FPR, or a leaky fuel injector, and the heat plus the lower fuel pressure turns some of fuel into gas vapor....and it takes a while to purge it....get the pressure back up. Cycling the ignition switch on off and by passes the 3-4 second pump prime timer limit, and runs the prime higher to flush the vapor...Also a leaky injector floods the cylinder it feeds adding to the restart problem. Any other weakness in the ignition (plugs, coils, wires), or leaky vacuum lines and sensor drift from age add to it, but are not usually the main cause.

I'm going to keep an eye on things the next few weeks and see if I can replicate the issue (shut it off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and restart after getting home). If it does it then I'll try cycling the ignition on/off to prime the system and see if starts right away. Thanks Mike.

I'm going to keep an eye on things the next few weeks and see if I can replicate the issue (shut it off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and restart after getting home). If it does it then I'll try cycling the ignition on/off to prime the system and see if starts right away. Thanks Mike.

You might also invest in a fuel pressure test gauge too. Hook it up to the test port. Run the engine and shut it off and watch the gauge pressure for the next 30 minutes to see if it holds. And turn the ignition switch to run, but do not start, just once to see how well the pressure recovers during the pump on timer cycle, usually 2-3 seconds. I assume(?) the liberty fuel pressure spec is 49 psi like the HO jeeps.

Just drove 45 minutes home from work with no issues. I parked it in the driveway and came back out ten minutes later and it wouldn't start. Cycling the ignition on and off for 4 times did nothing. It still took about 4 attempts before the thing would start and run properly. I'll try this again tomorrow morning and in the afternoon. If this pattern persists then I'll drive the ****er around for an hour and then let it sit ten minutes at the damn dealer.

But remember, if you ignore the process in which they are built and the components for them are mined/drilled/etc it's way less intrusive than o/g!! :rolleyes:

My dad is a project manager for Clean Harbors he just laughs at most of this Renewable energy stuff since he sees the waste from these...clean...sources .

Huh. I used to do runs to clean harbors plant way out east all the time. (East of high plains raceway).

Huh. I used to do runs to clean harbors plant way out east all the time. (East of high plains raceway).

The only location I am familiar with is the incinerator off highway 71 5 mile south kimball nebraska , because I worked there . The old man has over 25 years with Clean Harbors ...lol...he knows every spot they have .

No kidding! I sent our paint waste to that plant in Kimball.

Yeah it's hwy 36 iirc. It's waaaaaaaay out there. Hazmat disposal facility. Cool place. Feels like a prison though with all the gates and access codes and badges etc.

Just drove 45 minutes home from work with no issues. I parked it in the driveway and came back out ten minutes later and it wouldn't start. Cycling the ignition on and off for 4 times did nothing. It still took about 4 attempts before the thing would start and run properly. I'll try this again tomorrow morning and in the afternoon. If this pattern persists then I'll drive the ****er around for an hour and then let it sit ten minutes at the damn dealer.

OK, that is progress. You need to try the fuel pressure tester to see what it is doing on attempted restarts to rule out fuel pressure.

Next time, hold the gas pedal at WOT and crank for about 10 seconds (that should off the fuel to the injectors at WOT when cranking). Then try to crank again at idle. If it starts you have a leaking injector(s) flooding it.

Also you can test the CPS when it is hot. Take a hair dryer and heat the hell out of the CPS on a cold morning start. If it does not start for 10-20 minutes, then the CPS is failing thermally.

I had a bad Intake temp sensor give me hot engine no starts once. They can be tested in boiling water and ice water with an ohm meter to see if they meet factor spec resistance readings. Then can also just get dirty, and just need cleaning.

Lastly, the HO engines on the XJs have a reset timer relay that resets the IAC valve. If they go bad they can fail to park the IAC valve at the proper spot for idle restart air flow rates. That may be on the Liberty as well.

Plated the missing sections behind the coil buckets that were cut off the HD stiffeners as per the installer ...they were not installable so they vut them.out...took me longer to flap disc the rail than it did to install the "un-installable"...then plated the bottom in 1/8th in prep for the 4x4 .250 angle .I tued that into the trac bar and ran it straight out to the bumper...Going to weld on some gussets and and bend up a brace to tie the trash bar Into passenger rail ...Then it will be time to pull the knuckles add the Rydel plate kit and weld my hi steer arms to the knuckle ...then finish fitting.the 44s up front ...Going to be attending EJS this year, So ORI be done in fall as I am tired building and not playing

Back