• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

A guy pulls up in this beauty. Hey said it's the only one in the states, a grey market exception. 2005 Defender, inline 5 TDI, 5 speed, full lockers. Imported for a foreign diplomat who didn't want to take it back home. Had the Kahn conversion, including rims and dolled up interior. Drool.
a48a76b9e6b6d1cb9fd4e76a25ef9d47.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I Sse a short wheel base rig that can't climb anything steep without a winch diaper and fancy wheels .

Forumfest 99, we were in Ouray. I pulled into a gas station in Silverton to air up before driving down the pass. Parked in the front of the lot was a very pretty Defender, all expeditioned out. I think they were importable for a couple of years in the 90's. I asked the mechanic what the story was with the Defender. He said it was waiting for a fuel pump to be flown in from Dallas. All righty then. :)

About to buy my first impact wrench. I see a huge selection, huge price and torque ranges at Northern tool, and Harbor has a nice special this weekend too. Too many choices.:roflmao:

My first use is to help loosen the rear leaf spring bolts on a 1987 XJ. I need something I can hold onto (my RA limits how much my hands can handle now days). And I need efficient use of what little air I have. I need something that the leaf spring bolts will respect, with out laughing me off the planet LOL

Last edited:

That's why I got the back story, I knew that they stopped importing in the 90s, and any that I've seen were stripped down to the basics. This one was was petty trick.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

About to buy my first impact wrench. I see a huge selection, huge price and torque ranges at Northern tool, and Harbor has a nice special this weekend too. Too many choices.:roflmao:

My first use is to help loosen the rear leaf spring bolts on a 1987 XJ. I need something I can hold onto (my RA limits how much my hands can handle now days). And I need efficient use of what little air I have. I need something that the leaf spring bolts will respect, with out laughing me off the planet LOL

Milwaukee M18.

The HF "earth quake" 1/2" is actually pretty impressive. At least they used to be. I've used the crap out of mine for years without issue.

For those bolts, over half the time I end up using a $14 24" breaker bar from HF. Works pretty well.

The HF "earth quake" 1/2" is actually pretty impressive. At least they used to be. I've used the crap out of mine for years without issue.

This one at HF looks like what I need thin profile on the head, light weight, 700 ft lbs....but uses more air than some I looked at "5.8 CFM @ 90 PSI", almost 50% more air.

Northern had some for lower prices this week (as low as $40), but different brands and specs..... Hmm

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-stubby-ultra-light-extreme-torque-air-impact-wrench-63534.html

Northern has two, one that is supper cheap today

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200648984_200648984

impressive for under $39

But I think I will go with the $10 off deal, currently $89 one that only uses 4 cfm of air.

Its compact like the Earthquake one I linked. but a 9 month longer warranty, and

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649195_200649195

Unless there are better suggestions here????

I hear Northern quality is usually higher than HF??? I know their prices are higher LOL.

For those bolts, over half the time I end up using a $14 24" breaker bar from HF. Works pretty well.

I tried a 1.5 ton floor jack, the jeeps weight, and an at least 3.5 foot long cheater pipe with a 3/4" HF breaker bar and impact socket and it wanted to bend the breaker bar.:shiver:

I pushed it as far as I dared, fearing I might shear the bolt inside the bushing or break the tip on the breaker bar (it happens).

So my plan is days of pen lube, maybe some heat-cool cycling, and water rapid cooling splash after heating it, and lots of beating on it with an impact till it gives up.

Not having enough luck with the cramped space using a cutting disk to cut the bushings to the core (yet). Harvey flood stalled the project 6 weeks ago.

Even after you use all those methods, you still have the powered rust from the bolt and bushing sleeve that will make thing bind up. It can work out such that the sleeve tries to come out with the bolt which will increase the side of the hole in the unibody bracket. Have a plan for that too.

Even after you use all those methods, you still have the powered rust from the bolt and bushing sleeve that will make thing bind up. It can work out such that the sleeve tries to come out with the bolt which will increase the side of the hole in the unibody bracket. Have a plan for that too.

I know, I plan to use the Vulcan death grip and the dark side of the force, on that troublesome inner sleeve to hold it in place while the bolt is rotated LOL by gripping the remains of the bushing. I need to get the bolt to rotate some so I can get a grinder to the back side or 90* sides of the bushing to cut more of it off so I can reach the inner sleeve. Unless I can get at least a 90 degree turn on the bushing, I can not reach enough of it with a grinder to finish cutting it up and off, there is just not enough room. I already cut a bit of the outer down plate by accident trying to cut it in place. By the time I am done, it will move up to the hardest jeep repair I ever had to do IMHO.

My older cordless SnapOn 1/2" drive is only rated for 650 ft/lbs and I used it to crush pinion crush sleeves when setting up axles all the time.

Honestly, if I were wanting a good 1/2" drive impact and was concerned about my air supply I would go cordless. The Milwaukee one is very impressive, just as powerful as the current SnapOn ones and a bit cheaper. Plus you don't have to flag down a tool truck to get it. The cordless ones are a bit bulkier but they have a lot of advantages over the air tools. They're quieter (because there isn't an air compressor running in the background), they can be taken with you anywhere (like the junkyard or trail), and they always "hit" hard instead of dying off once the air pressure drops in the lines. Just don't go cheap either. The DeWalt and Ryobi ones aren't rated near as well as the SnapOn and Milwaukee ones.

Now that the SnapOn guy has quit coming to our shop if I could do it without losing a ton of money I would actually sell off all of my SnapOn cordless tools and go Milwaukee. I could also replace all of my Ryobi cordless home stuff with Milwaukee and just have 1 charger and set of batteries for everything. I've got 3 chargers on my tool box, its annoying.

Now that the SnapOn guy has quit coming to our shop if I could do it without losing a ton of money I would actually sell off all of my SnapOn cordless tools and go Milwaukee. I could also replace all of my Ryobi cordless home stuff with Milwaukee and just have 1 charger and set of batteries for everything. I've got 3 chargers on my tool box, its annoying.

This, I have a Milwauke cordless drill, impact and swazall; 5 batteries they can all use and 2 chargers. I can pop for as many batteries as I like and can add to the list of tools.

My older cordless SnapOn 1/2" drive is only rated for 650 ft/lbs and I used it to crush pinion crush sleeves when setting up axles all the time.

Honestly, if I were wanting a good 1/2" drive impact and was concerned about my air supply I would go cordless. The Milwaukee one is very impressive, just as powerful as the current SnapOn ones and a bit cheaper. Plus you don't have to flag down a tool truck to get it. The cordless ones are a bit bulkier but they have a lot of advantages over the air tools. They're quieter (because there isn't an air compressor running in the background), they can be taken with you anywhere (like the junkyard or trail), and they always "hit" hard instead of dying off once the air pressure drops in the lines. Just don't go cheap either. The DeWalt and Ryobi ones aren't rated near as well as the SnapOn and Milwaukee ones.

I'm surprised you say that. Even with commercial compressors my big air impact has a hard time with crush sleeves. Anymore I just precrush them and them set up the preload. And I think it's rated for like 1100 ft lbs maybe. I'm sure that snap on gun wasn't cheap tho.

At least in air impacts, I'd go as high as possible. The ones rated lower are just weak. Might be good for lugnuts and what not but not much more imo.

My cordless SnapOn does better than my pneumatic SnapOn in terms of crush sleeves.

Back