• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

For what?

96 XJ.

Bought one for Nikki (second one in the last 2 weeks).

This one I'd like to keep. Previous owner said it had a manifold leak, and sounded to me kinda like it did as well.

Yesterday Nikki drove the Jeep to work (Johnstown, about 35ish minutes from FoCo).

She said when she was getting off the exit, it felt like it "lunged" a few times, and then died. She said it started right back up, and drove fine. She did say she heard a clicking noise like a card in bicycle spokes when it was happening. Didn't have a problem after, until today.

I've driven it to and from work several times (~6 miles round trip) and nothing felt off, no sound.

She wanted to try and show me the problem, so we went for a drive this evening.

Everything was going just fine, headed from home to I-25 and went up a few exits and came back, I did feel the "jerk" once. On our way back after exiting I could start to hear what she was talking about. I mistook it for sounding like the fan was nicking something, and it just needed to be moved.

So, about 5 miles from home, the sound got more noticeable, then all of a sudden...Jeep's not much moving.

You can rev it up, and with the whirring clicking sound...we were able to gimp home at about 20 miles per hour. On the final stretch, I floored it and it "caught" more, but that sound was just THAT much worse.

Seeing as the engine seems to be running fine, other than the "puff" sound of what I'm guessing is the exhaust manifold leak...I'm guessing trans?

Possibly a spline got stripped enough and the sound I'm hearing is what's left of the splines trying to engage?

How do you know it is not the T-case?

How do you know it is not the T-case?

I haven't had a chance to get under there on it yet.

I guess I won't rule out the T-case, but when those have gone on me...there was no question about it...no movement. The clicking sound I'm hearing seems to be coming far too forward as well, as it's most pronounced as far as I've been able to see by sticking your head nearest to the firewall behind the engine.

so i got totally unluckily lucky saturday night. I normally park jenny in the garage but after the days events in there it was too dirty so i left her in the drive. Sunday morning come out and my center console and rear seat are flipped up, shit thrown every where etc etc. they stole my amp and sub tools and a phone. as well as some other gear. At least i still have my jeep.

so i got totally unluckily lucky saturday night. I normally park jenny in the garage but after the days events in there it was too dirty so i left her in the drive. Sunday morning come out and my center console and rear seat are flipped up, shit thrown every where etc etc. they stole my amp and sub tools and a phone. as well as some other gear. At least i still have my jeep.

Man, Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas really seems to be turning into quite the sh*t hole. It's been worse every time I've been down, and it seems every other day someone on one of the Jeep, offroading, etc. facebook pages has their sh*t stolen or broken into down there.

I thought your people had an understanding...... some sort of code to not victimize each other.....? Sheesh.

Does Jenny just scream "Gringo"?

:D

LOL - that sucks though, flores... glad my driveway is itself a threat deterrent.

I haven't had a chance to get under there on it yet.

I guess I won't rule out the T-case, but when those have gone on me...there was no question about it...no movement. The clicking sound I'm hearing seems to be coming far too forward as well, as it's most pronounced as far as I've been able to see by sticking your head nearest to the firewall behind the engine.

Flex Plate?

Flex Plate?

Sam is going to (hopefully) come over tonight and give a second opinion.

I'll check fluid, torque converter bolts, and if I can, flywheel bolts.

I'll try getting it up on jack stands in the shop and let it run, to see if I can't see where the noise is coming from better with it "driving" on stands.

I'd like to know whether or not I need to pull a tranny/converter by Saturday, since I'll be hitting up Andersons this Saturday morning, and then the rest of the Denver/Aurora yards Sunday.

Is andersons the one off 8th/85 in Greeley. Saw some interesting prospects in there yesterday driving by.

I do believe so.

One of Nikki's coworkers husbands said he saw a white XJ in there with what looked like an intact front end. So, I'll see if it's still there and worth grabbing on Saturday.

If you want some company, let me know.

Is andersons the one off 8th/85 in Greeley. Saw some interesting prospects in there yesterday driving by.

My old stomping grounds. We used to hit that place up weekly when I was at UNC. Sometimes I miss 31's.

94Moab.jpg

Last edited:

If you want some company, let me know.

Thanks Tom, if we can't get it figured out, I might need your expertise as well.

I'm just not batting well lately, I'm currently stuck at work since the first of the two XJ's we bought, the starter doesn't want to do....anything.

It did this before, but it started right up again this morning.

That's more than likely an easy fix...just not really easy to do when its not home :bawl:

Ugh...

Back