• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold air intakes.

Hydrolock

NAXJA Forum User
hey,

I finally gathered the money for a good cold air intake system.

I have been searching around and I want to know what people think is the best one to get.

I have looked at k&n, airaid and a few others.

What brand intake do you perfer?

Thanks
Jordan

I'd take all the money you've saved, and spend about $50 on making my own cold air intake

example A
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/FIPK.html

really, all you need is a piece of pipe, cone filter, some stiff cardboard, and a windshield visor reflector.

take the rest of your money and put it to better use. depending what upgrades you've already done, a cat bak system, full tune up, e-fan conversion, etc.

I actually like the look of talyn's S&B. I have an AFE myself. It's well made, and I particularly like the heat shield.

I also have to agree with beakie; a homebrew intake will get you similar results. You'd want to go with an aftermarket unit if you want keep your engine bay looking clean, but that's about it.

I did the K&N thing. I regret it. I fear dirt is going into the intake.
IMHO do the E -fan much more bang for the buck.
Then, upper grade the intake manifold and install new headers (you will need it eventually) with down pipe.

Next step: make a stroker.. kinda like step 1,2,3, direct to 50 lol Its worth it. buddy built himself a cheap stroker. I am jealous.

Remove the plate blocking the rectangular hole in the engine compartment right in front of the stock airbox intake opening (behind the driver's side headlight.) Cut the top and bottom off of a 1 qt oil container and glue or screw the resultant rectangular tube to the flange around the airbox intake hole so it sticks through the hole. Now you have a cold air intake. Take the money and buy spare axle shafts or an e-fan.
warning: May not be suitable for deeper water crossings but then most cold air intakes aren't either.

Thanks for the input....I still welcome more :)

Just remember this isnt a hardcore wheeler Im going to college in like 2 weeks so I need something that will help with performance and mpg (hopefully)....and sjkimmel99....do you have a pics of this mod? It seems cool I would try it.

Thanks again
Jordan

I use the AEM. I have the model that has the IAT relocation hole in the end. The idea is that with the IAT relocated there,from the intake manifold, the sensor gets a cooler temp reading and it causes the computer to richen the A/F ratio a little. It may also bump the timing up a degree or two. Dino's Cherokee page has good home-brew cold air info. So does GoJeep. I'm using a cross of a K&N tube with an AEM filter. I'm gonna' try and use some heat reflecting/insulating tape around the tube and then use something like adhesive backed reflective sheeting to wrap around the "heat shield" that come with the K&N kit. Realistically, you get as much, if not more, heat coming in through these "cold air" intakes. Greater flow maybe, but it's not seperated from the ambient engine heat enough. I think the things I described above along with hood vents or a cowl induction hood would be VERY beneficial. It'd get rid of the excessive heat these engine generate, if nothing else. That lets thing like batteries, sensors, etc... last longer. It would also get the heat away from the intake and with the air that's forced in to the engine compartment at road speed, maybe actually result in lower "TRUE" intake temps. Sorry that was so long wided.

crust1

Take some PVC and a cone filter, and some hose clamps, and some cardboard wrapped in tin foil.
Done and done.

do you have a pics of this mod?

Mad fab skilz. I think not all years have the hole in the front engine compartment bulkhead but it shouldn't be too hard to cut one. I've thought about using insulating material stuck to the outside of the air box, wrapped around the box-to-throttle body tube and even sticking or spraying something on the intake itself but have not got that far.

3810605182_c9b21d8089_o.jpg

3810605128_06d444f90b_o.jpg

Thanks for the input....I still welcome more :)

Just remember this isnt a hardcore wheeler Im going to college in like 2 weeks so I need something that will help with performance and mpg (hopefully)....and sjkimmel99....do you have a pics of this mod? It seems cool I would try it.

Thanks again
Jordan

If you're going to college, save your money, spend it on a girl and some beer. That's more of a guarantee of performance than putting a cold air intake on your vehicle.

You will not see any change in performance, you won't notice anything, you won't get better mileage, but you will get a lighter wallet.

Back