• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Fan Upgrade

This. A warranty is like a consolation prize for substandard parts. Are they going to drive new parts out to you when it fails out where Jesus lost his sandals?

Another word for you chronic overheaters. What's your gear/tire combo? I tried every trick in the book back , and it was still marginal with 3.07/33". Got proper gears, and it runs @ 212 steady as glass. It actually scared me one time going down montezuma grade, cooled down to 180 ish. Had me quite suprized it would cool enough to cycle the thermostat.

Napa Part # 272310

I tried installing this fan upgrade on my '01 XJ this weekend and she wouldn't fit. Just a bit too long on the 'fins' of the new clutch. I also have a 2-core Champion Aluminum radiator so that added thickness was just too much for the clutch to fit. If I replaced the studs with bolts (the ones holding the fan on) perhaps I could finagle getting it to fit, but my OE clutch was working ok... but we'll see how it holds up over the Summer.

A shame I'll have to return the clutch to Napa and now go looking for some decent hood scoops/vents to I can allow all that heat a place to go when idling in traffic or offroad.

On the last 2 clutches I installed, I used a pair of pliers to snap those fins off the clutch. Makes installation much easier. A few years ago, I installed a replacement clutch with the fins and some time later it caught one of the vertical radiator wires and made a mess. Cost me a radiator repair. Since then, I snap off the fins. Don't know what the fins are for, but my OEM clutch did not have them.

I installed the 272310 Napa fan. It fits fine but you need to tilt the radiator forward (I have CSF 3 row). Regarding the loudness... yes it is louder but mostly when you hammer the throttle does it get loud.

I took it back out and replaced with a Hayden 2625 due to the amount of power it sucked from the engine. With AC on or off it robbed way to much power from the engine. Not worth the upgrade IMO.

I installed the 272310 Napa fan. It fits fine but you need to tilt the radiator forward (I have CSF 3 row). Regarding the loudness... yes it is louder but mostly when you hammer the throttle does it get loud.

I took it back out and replaced with a Hayden 2625 due to the amount of power it sucked from the engine. With AC on or off it robbed way to much power from the engine. Not worth the upgrade IMO.

This man from Jackass Flats knows what he's talking about.

Sounds about right... I'm currently running the Napa one you listed and although it's 'loud', it's not bad and only noticeably when you put your foot in the throttle.

I am noticing the huge 'drag' on my engine. The new clutch and the fact I've been running my AC on almost full blast all the time the past few weeks has KILLED my mileage (went from ~ 18-19 to 14-15, or from getting about 250 miles per tank before fill-up to 200... that's quite a bit when you figure that's each week)

I'm considering going back to the Hayden 2625 as soon as the temps cool off a bit. We shall see...

Another word for you chronic overheaters. What's your gear/tire combo?t.

I am noticing the huge 'drag' on my engine. The new clutch and the fact I've been running my AC on almost full blast all the time the past few weeks has KILLED my mileage (went from ~ 18-19 to 14-15, or from getting about 250 miles per tank before fill-up to 200... that's quite a bit when you figure that's each week)

I've been running 3.55's with an auto and 33" tires forever-- mileage and "noticeable" power weren't affected. I have to admit that I did hit one of the vertical straps holding the radiator together with the fan clutch, but I'm still on factory mounts.

I'm by no means ideal, but even with the disadvantage built into the rig, I didn't see any negative impact other than noise.

Back