• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Fan Upgrade

I installed a new Hayden fan clutch on my 96 a few weeks ago.
Nothing special, just the part number that was indicated for
my model.

When driving it afterwards, in near 100* heat, it seems to run much
cooler (shown on the gauge) than it did before.

I believe either the Hayden clutch has a higher percent upper range
than the stock unit, or the stock unit wears and 'slips' more at
the upper range. Maybe the fluid in these clutches shears and
deteriorates over time, allowing more slippage...?

Guess they wised up and came out with a model that actually fits, historically they were a 1/2" too long. For a while there the only non jeep one that actually fit was from Car Quest, that was like 3 years ago.

it seems that on alll 4.0 xj's it's a bolt on. I have one on my 95 and its great! my e fan is on a switch right now and i've only had to use it a couple times in heavy traffic and hot weather. I dont mind the noise at all especially since the super 44 i have makes the noise disappear lol. and the fan is from a v8 zj not the 4.0

Napa Part # 272310

not sure if it's for the 8cyl or not, but it's the "non-heavy duty" 6cyl clutch for 93-96 at least. Works wonders at low speeds, but is a bit louder. Nothing that a decent radio couldn't overcome, and nothing that isn't worth the additional peace of mind.

Guess they wised up and came out with a model that actually fits, historically they were a 1/2" too long. For a while there the only non jeep one that actually fit was from Car Quest, that was like 3 years ago.

i ran a hayden years ago and it is demensionally the same as the 272310.

and the 272310 is actually a hayden unit. says it right on the box

a little more research shows all 93-98 4.0L used the same fan clutch in the Grands.

Only options are heavy duty or standard duty-- standard duty is what I used with good success

I'm questioning the part number as napa nolonger shows 272310 to fit a zj. this is their fitment chart now for that part:
Jeep Cherokee 2.5 L 150 CID L4 AMC Design 1994 - 2000
Jeep TJ 4.0 L 242 CID L6 1997 - 1999
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 L 242 CID L6 1991 - 1995
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 L 242 CID L6 1997 - 1999
Jeep YJ 4.0 L 242 CID L6 1991 - 1995

according to autozone when comparing each model they do list the part that crosses over. It's just napa nolonger shows it for the grand cherokee.

a little more research shows all 93-98 4.0L used the same fan clutch in the Grands.

Only options are heavy duty or standard duty-- standard duty is what I used with good success

Correct IIRC. Joe Peters originally turned us on to this. A standard duty GC fan clutch was the one to use and it's number was 272310.

Ok I'm confused. Do I want the one for the v8 zj or the 4.0? With a/c or no a/c. Would getting one from the boneyard be a bad idea. My fan clutch is pretty new. I got it from auto zone but I'm not completely sold. The one I bought for my f150 was garbage and I replaced it 3 times under auto zones warranty. Finally I went to ford and bought the OEM unit and all was better. I just don't want to pay full price for a new clutch if it's not going to help much. I would rather get one from a junkyard cheaper to test with first.

It looks like the napa catalog did change, when I bought mine, it showed both the v8 gc and the 2.5 xj. It now only shows the 2.5 xj. Regardless of what it says, 272310 is the one you want. I wouldn't buy one from the junkyard, iirc mine was like $46 new.

Ok I'm confused. Do I want the one for the v8 zj or the 4.0? With a/c or no a/c. Would getting one from the boneyard be a bad idea. My fan clutch is pretty new. I got it from auto zone but I'm not completely sold. The one I bought for my f150 was garbage and I replaced it 3 times under auto zones warranty. Finally I went to ford and bought the OEM unit and all was better. I just don't want to pay full price for a new clutch if it's not going to help much. I would rather get one from a junkyard cheaper to test with first.

It looks like the napa catalog did change, when I bought mine, it showed both the v8 gc and the 2.5 xj. It now only shows the 2.5 xj. Regardless of what it says, 272310 is the one you want. I wouldn't buy one from the junkyard, iirc mine was like $46 new.

X2^^ on all the answers above-- get the 272310 from Napa or get a 4.0L standard duty cooling fan clutch from a '93-'98 ZJ and be happy

Well the napa near me didnt have one and it was going to be 2 days for them to get it, so I went to autozone The brand the sell TorqueFlo uses a slightly different fin design and will not allow the fan blade to attach. I returned it and went to schucks.

Schucks/Oreily's carries hayden. It worked just fine for me. fan blade attached and installed.

also switched out the studs to bolts as mine were in pretty poor condition.

Napa Part # 272310

I tried installing this fan upgrade on my '01 XJ this weekend and she wouldn't fit. Just a bit too long on the 'fins' of the new clutch. I also have a 2-core Champion Aluminum radiator so that added thickness was just too much for the clutch to fit. If I replaced the studs with bolts (the ones holding the fan on) perhaps I could finagle getting it to fit, but my OE clutch was working ok... but we'll see how it holds up over the Summer.

A shame I'll have to return the clutch to Napa and now go looking for some decent hood scoops/vents to I can allow all that heat a place to go when idling in traffic or offroad.

Napa Part # 272310

I tried installing this fan upgrade on my '01 XJ this weekend and she wouldn't fit. Just a bit too long on the 'fins' of the new clutch. I also have a 2-core Champion Aluminum radiator so that added thickness was just too much for the clutch to fit. If I replaced the studs with bolts (the ones holding the fan on) perhaps I could finagle getting it to fit, but my OE clutch was working ok... but we'll see how it holds up over the Summer.

A shame I'll have to return the clutch to Napa and now go looking for some decent hood scoops/vents to I can allow all that heat a place to go when idling in traffic or offroad.

Did you try to unbolt the top of your radiator and tilt it forward to get it in there?

Napa Part # 272310

What kind of shape are your motor mounts in?

I thought about taking the top of the radiator loose but was in a bit of a time crunch and wasn't sure I'd be able to rock the radiator forward 1/2" or so needed to get it on... perhaps I'll retry it tonight if you think I'll be able to rock the radiator enough??

Motor mounts are 1 month old Brown Dogs... so they are in great shape. :)

As a side note, reading thru this thread again about the increased noise I'm not sure I want to put this on now... I also added the Spectre Air inlet and that thing is LOUD in the cabin of my XJ now. It's not just barely noticeable, it's flat out LOUD!! Sounds like I turn on a hair dryer sucking in air when you fire up the rig. Now when I start driving it calms down, but at idle it's pretty noisy. I'll get used to it... hopefully. :)

at vatozone the warranty might be ok, but the parts suck. go with NAPA and get good parts that you wont need to worry about replacing multiple times during the warranty period. you get what you pay for.

Back