• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Fan Upgrade

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone just clarify that Napa Part # 272310 clutch fan will fit a 2001 XJ, AW4, 4.0 I6 before I purchase it. Thanks

It fits with my 3 row, but its tight. I have my engine slid back a little and have the radiator pushed forward a little to give it some clearance. It really helped with cooling, but it is noisy.

It fits with my 3 row, but its tight. I have my engine slid back a little and have the radiator pushed forward a little to give it some clearance. It really helped with cooling, but it is noisy.

They are noisy. I took mine off and replaced it with a standard unit. It reminded me of when I worked for Datsun and their fan clutches would seize in the engaged position. For off-road use, rock crawling, I bet they're great.

Thanks I plan to fit one the weekend I have heard they are noisy, if its real noisy I might just run it for the summer time

I have the fan clutch for the ZJ when I do my next cooling system servicing, probably this weekend. If the ZJ fan clutch can keep that ZJ cool with just a mech fan I"m going for it.

Since replacing my fan clutch with the HD, I can wheel in real hot weather with my A/C on and it runs right at the t-stat temp on 190. If it's hot out and there is wind pushing towards the front of the jeep it will over heat in a second if the e fan is not running.

I have the fan clutch for the ZJ when I do my next cooling system servicing, probably this weekend. If the ZJ fan clutch can keep that ZJ cool with just a mech fan I"m going for it.

You'll notice it... since upgrading my '95, the auxilliary fan comes on noticably less this summer.

Is this a direct swap? I assume from a ZJ 4.0? Any particular model year, or did they not change between 93 and 98? What is the difference between the XJ and ZJ fan clutch that this would be an upgrade?

My auxiliary fan kicks on A LOT and would like to eliminate that if possible and Crawler seems to agree that the ZJ fan clutch would help.

Thanks

it seems that on alll 4.0 xj's it's a bolt on. I have one on my 95 and its great! my e fan is on a switch right now and i've only had to use it a couple times in heavy traffic and hot weather. I dont mind the noise at all especially since the super 44 i have makes the noise disappear lol. and the fan is from a v8 zj not the 4.0

I installed a new Hayden fan clutch on my 96 a few weeks ago.
Nothing special, just the part number that was indicated for
my model.

When driving it afterwards, in near 100* heat, it seems to run much
cooler (shown on the gauge) than it did before.

I believe either the Hayden clutch has a higher percent upper range
than the stock unit, or the stock unit wears and 'slips' more at
the upper range. Maybe the fluid in these clutches shears and
deteriorates over time, allowing more slippage...?

Back